Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, I have been following a lot of threads lately but haven't ever signed up. I came from the Element Car Owners Club and love that this is just the same!

Anyway, I have looked around and found a few ideas of what my problem might be from but thought I might ask since I pretty new to diagnosing electrical problems in this truck.

I just upgraded my speakers (JBL component speakers in the front), and the doors have stopped locking and the windows are unresponsive. During the install, my buddy (who has been a GM of an audio install co. for a few years which is why I let him install it) accidentally cut two wires (red with a yellow stripe, and a brown with silver dashes) that were similar looking to the speaker ones under the driver side dash. Those were the wrong ones, so he reconnected them but possibly by using another piece of speaker wire to cover the gap distance. I just today noticed it as I got under there and looked at his handy work. Could this be the reason why I have no door locks or windows to roll down? Also, remote wont lock anything, no door has controls that work, and the trunk remains locked.

His explanation is that the door control panels are dead. That connecting and reconnecting them some how fried them. I only believe it if its because of the wires he cut and fixed. I have worked on my doors a lot in the past with other speakers, sound insulation, etc. and never had the doors fry from being connected again. Could this be the possibility? If so, how can you check if it is dead?

I tried to understand the wiring diagram from my Ridgeline repair book but I only stared at it in confusion. I couldn't really find any color wires in the diagram that had that color. But does that mean the door has different color wires on the inside than what is in the cabin? I noticed the wires have to be connected to a plug for the doors and not just run through a boot and hole in the door.

I am sorry if there is a thread that has this EXACT issue, but I couldn't find it. I found several talking about dead control switches but nothing to the problem I might have with wires being cut wrong.

Thank you all for reading!

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Hey all, I have been following a lot of threads lately but haven't ever signed up. I came from the Element Car Owners Club and love that this is just the same!

Anyway, I have looked around and found a few ideas of what my problem might be from but thought I might ask since I pretty new to diagnosing electrical problems in this truck.

I just upgraded my speakers (JBL component speakers in the front), and the doors have stopped locking and the windows are unresponsive. During the install, my buddy (who has been a GM of an audio install co. for a few years which is why I let him install it) accidentally cut two wires (red with a yellow stripe, and a brown with silver dashes) that were similar looking to the speaker ones under the driver side dash. Those were the wrong ones, so he reconnected them but possibly by using another piece of speaker wire to cover the gap distance. I just today noticed it as I got under there and looked at his handy work. Could this be the reason why I have no door locks or windows to roll down? Also, remote wont lock anything, no door has controls that work, and the trunk remains locked.

His explanation is that the door control panels are dead. That connecting and reconnecting them some how fried them. I only believe it if its because of the wires he cut and fixed. I have worked on my doors a lot in the past with other speakers, sound insulation, etc. and never had the doors fry from being connected again. Could this be the possibility? If so, how can you check if it is dead?

I tried to understand the wiring diagram from my Ridgeline repair book but I only stared at it in confusion. I couldn't really find any color wires in the diagram that had that color. But does that mean the door has different color wires on the inside than what is in the cabin? I noticed the wires have to be connected to a plug for the doors and not just run through a boot and hole in the door.

I am sorry if there is a thread that has this EXACT issue, but I couldn't find it. I found several talking about dead control switches but nothing to the problem I might have with wires being cut wrong.

Thank you all for reading!
It is highly unlikely dis/re-connecting switches and such would "fry" anything.

Unless the wires you are describing happened to be live - and both were cut at the same time connecting them together briefly - there *should be* no way damage was done to anything other than popping a fuse.

Was the ignition key in the accessory position? If not, the only wires I can think of that might be live with the key off are the curb lights, so it would be an amazing twist if that live wire was momentarily crossed with some unknown circuit causing the symptom of a "dead controls".

I can't help with specific information but the issue is likely to be more easily resolved than deciphering a factory wiring diagram.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
two thingss Id check out would be a popped fuse and that the wires weren't connected backwards

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you OhSix and Elkhunter!

I have checked the fuse box and nothing was popped. I will be taking apart the wires tonight to see if connecting them directly to each other will fix. That way I can check if they were connect backwards.

OhSix thank you for helping me in my reassurance! I knew connecting and disconnecting them wouldn't have killed the controls.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,392 Posts
Since these are blade type fuses, occasionally they can be difficult to spot visually that they have been popped. I'd get the fuse diagram and either pull and swap fuses that are in the affected to verify or test with a blade fuse tester

Also I do think a minor "pulse" of electricity could confuse the power door lock and power window control circuit. It is the pulse signal which is used to roll all windows down or up on the Ridgeline. It is this "pulse" type of signal which is used by KPtechnologies with the window roll up module in the link below.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=122345&postcount=5

1 - 5 of 5 Posts