Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the past 2 weeks the "Door Open Monitor" graphic for the driver's door has remained on after closing the door on 3 seperate random occassions ... :eek:.

While the door appears to be completely closed I have had to slam the driver's door repeatedly for the graphic to go out.
On the last occassion I spent time pushing on the door switch with the following response ... the interior lights dimmed, but the door ajar graphic stayed on ... :confused:. After several times of exercising the door switch the graphic went out.

This condition has occured while entering and exiting the vehicle.
The door switch feels normal and seems to operate smoothly. The door switch only requires a very small amount of pressure to function as designed.

So far I have been unable to duplicate the phenomena by pushing on the door switch repeatedly. I suspect the problem is not with the door switch.

Has anyone encountered this condition or do I have the intermitent gremlins at work in my RL ... ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I too have a door that seems to be closed but the sensor displays that it is still open. I have to give the driver side door a good pull to get the sensor to disengage. I suspect the problem is with the door itself--not the sensor. The slightest force to close the 3 other doors results in the sensor disengaging. But with the same force applied to close the driver side door, it does not close all the way. Even with a little more force and it looks like it is closed all the way, still the sensor engages.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Definitely gremlins, however there is no cure for them on Sundays.
grab a beer watch a ballgame and forget about it till tomorrow. those neat little computers at the dealership ought to be able to trace that one easily. Good luck, btw I am having a Southpaw light as I type.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My new RTL did the same thing with the open door sensor, when I first got it home. I thought I had not shut the door good. I got in it and shut the door pretty hard. Since then no problems.

I'll keep an eye on it and see if it happens again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My tailgate sensor is acting up. Sometimes it will work okay other times it will not go off. I think it is the sensor. It does not stick out far enough.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Time to take your baby to the "Dreaded Service Department"

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Door Open Monitor - Stays "On" with doors closed

Well ... :confused: this problem continues to randomly occur on the driver's door and now has occured on the front passenger door. I have diagnosed the following ...

Door slamming has no affect on resolving this problem. The problem in my case is clearly not with the door switches.
When the problem occurs I can manually push on the door switch with the following results ... the cabin lights dim (showing that switch contact has been made), and the "Door Open Monitor" graphic remains "ON" for the door allegedly open.

When this problem occurs while exiting the doors can be locked with the remote control, but the security system will not arm ... :(.

While the "Door Open Monitor" graphic is "ON" with either the doors closed or the door switch pressed, and the key inserted into the ignition and rotated to the "ON" (not start) position the "Door Open Monitor" graphic resets itself and goes "OFF".

My Dealer now has my other warranty parts in stock. When I return for installation I will have them investigate this matter.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yes, I have this problem on occasion and just recently found, as you did, that if you properly reclose the door once and then start the vehicle normally the indicator goes off.

I can live with that. The first couple of times it happened, I sat there slamming the door shut about ten times and getting frustrated. I don't know what made me ever decide to try the key while the indicator was on. Jim, please let me know if the dealer can fix it for you.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Same thing here...not sure how I missed this post originally. Only 100% way to reset the indicator is via inserting the key and turning it to the 1st position. I have left it locked and unarmed, to return later with the alarm armed, so it must reset itself after some time.

The dealer, of course, could not reproduce it when I mentioned it to them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
i had the same problem when i first got my truck it only happened twice i opened the door and shut it a little hard than normal and it hasnt not happened since those 2 times

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This problem is intermittent, annoying, and I can not duplicate the phenomena when I am at the dealer. The problem occurs mostly with the driver's door, but I have duplicated the event with the other doors.

It is not the door switch that causes the problem, but the dealer has replaced my driver's side switch with no change in correcting the problem.

I find that each time I lock my RL I need to check that the red LED has lighted before I depart the truck. When the red LED does not light I see that the door open indicator is on ... even though all the doors are tightly closed. Pushing on the door switch manually makes no change.
This problem seems to occur randomly ~1 per month with me.
Leaving the RL in this state results in "Doors Locked - Alarm System Off". While in this state the system has not reset itself for me, but there may be a time limit that needs to be exceeded before an automatic reset works.

I frequently can get the "Door Open Monitor" graphic to correct itself by opening the rear passenger door. Once the "Door Open Monitor" graphic is back in sync the "Doors Locked - Alarm System On" functions correctly.

I am releaved that others are experiencing this problem ... this might improve the chances for a solution.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Add me to the list of people to whom this has happened. It happened to me about a week or so ago. At first, I thought it was just me, but it was indeed the sensor.

If it happens again, I am going to call my service guy.

·
Banned
231 Posts
Grok Lobster said:
I can live with that. The first couple of times it happened, I sat there slamming the door shut about ten times and getting frustrated.
Just a question? Why would you slam the door 10 times trying to make it work? That would be like your TV acting weird and beating it until it worked correctly. By slamming a door on these new style vehicles all it does is take things out of alignment and adjustment, and crushing door seals and weatherstrips, loosening trim pnls for future rattles and problems:confused: .
Not trying to upset you just wondering why you would do something like this?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Does anyone else's Ridge do this:

When I close my driver door, the passenger door open graphic comes on briefly.

·
Registered
360 Posts
pmb317 your problem might be that the presure when you close your door is pushing the passenger side door open just enough to activate the sensor. The pressure equalizes and no more push.

My boss had a BMW X5 that had a wierd pressure thing happening. He would pop the back window, open the drivers side door, get out and close the drivers side door, then he would go to get into the back window and the pressure has sucked the window enough that it closed and locked.:rolleyes:

See if your problem still hapens if someone closes one of the other doors, or open the passenger door, have someone hold the swith on the passenger side in the closed position and see if the light still comes on.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Add mine to the list. I've had two different sensors play the trick. I assume that the sensors do some rather complicated work tied to both airbags and alarm (one wouldn't wan teh side airbag to deploy while you were getting in !). Like any such "soft" switch it probably looses it's place now and again and needs to be "reset"

·
Registered
201 Posts
maybe this will help.I had the same issues on a ford F-250.The dealer was going to take the door apart and keep the truck for a week,I said no.While traveling later in the month I stopped at another dealer.The service tech sprayed carb cleaner in the lock assembly of all the doors and it ended the problem.Carb cleaner is about $2 at any auto store and it's great for wasp nests also.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
RIDGID said:
maybe this will help.I had the same issues on a ford F-250.The dealer was going to take the door apart and keep the truck for a week,I said no.While traveling later in the month I stopped at another dealer.The service tech sprayed carb cleaner in the lock assembly of all the doors and it ended the problem.Carb cleaner is about $2 at any auto store and it's great for wasp nests also.
I don't think the mechanical latch/switch is the issue because the doors will still lock (doors won't lock if the door is open) and the horn beeps with the 2nd press of the lock button. If the doors wouldn't lock, then I would agree that oiling/cleaning would probably help.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Let me just throw a little curve ball in here. On 3 or 4 occassions when my 7 year old son would get out of the vehicle via the right side back door and shut it, and then I would get out, I'd find I couldn't lock the doors. At the same time, I would notice the driver's door indicator lit. I'd open and close the driver's door, but still the "driver's door" indicator would be lit. I'd go around open and reclose my son's door and the indicator for the "driver's door" would then go out. I could then proceed to lock the doors.

I've made it a point to remind my son to close his door with a little more authority especially with all of the windows up to offset the resistance of the internal cabin pressure which would tend to keep the door from shutting completely (if enough force was not used) when the door being closed is trying to compress this internal air. Everytime he does this, there hasn't been a problem.

However, unlike JimVickers, this only happened like I said, maybe a couple of times since I've had the RL which has been one year this month. Other than these couple of examples, the door open indicators have worked correctly everytime.

I agree that the complexity of the system monitoring is such that I guess in certain situations it gets, for lack of a better term, "confused", until it can reset itself. I can see where it might become a very aggravating "electronic gremlin", and for those having a frequent duel with the system, they should difinitely have it investigated.

Looks like this could possibly be a common malady infesting a number of RL's, if not all, no? Again, depending on the sequence involved in opening, closing, and reclosing the doors, and whether they were actually fully closed or shut to begin with when this anomaly made its presence known. I suspect in most cases it is a combination of the monitoring system being confused by a door that isn't actually FULLY shut, but may look as if it is.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts