Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Silver RTS 541 miles

I can't get the doors to unlock like they are supposed to. According to the manual, you can set all the doors to unlock when the vehicle is put into park. I tried it a bunch of times and it only unlocks the drivers door not all the other doors. Honda's answer to this problem is the manual is wrong. It's only supposed to unlock the drivers door. Can anyone else get all the doors to unlock when they put it in park?

It's a lot easier to change the manual then it is to fix the software. Why wouldn't I want all the doors to unlock :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,056 Posts
Tiger said:
For what it is worth. I am to understand that a technician can change the locking sequence.

Tiger
Do you mean to unlock all doors? You can change the locking sequence yourself...just not to unlock all the doors (you can disable it or unlock when putting in park or when turning the key off).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,043 Posts
Whenever I follow the procedure in the manual to disable automatic locking, it works until I shut the truck off, but does not stay that way. Is it me or does yours do the same?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
SHovelhd,

It seems to me in one of these threads, it say not to start the truck, just turn the key to the on position, not to start. Since you say it works to you shut the engine off, this may be your problem. Sorry I can't find the post, but its in here somewhere.


shovelhd said:
Whenever I follow the procedure in the manual to disable automatic locking, it works until I shut the truck off, but does not stay that way. Is it me or does yours do the same?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
I've turned the auto door lock off. You're right, you put the key in the II position but you don't start the engine. If you're turning the auto lock off make sure you hit the front of the door lock key not the back. It should work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What gets me is that, according to a post on the forum, Honda intended for it to unlock all the doors. Somewhere the software got screwed up. Now Honda is saying the manual is wrong. My girlfriend works in the medical software business. What she told me rings true here: It's easier to change the documentation then it is to correct the software.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
851duck said:
What gets me is that, according to a post on the forum, Honda intended for it to unlock all the doors. Somewhere the software got screwed up. Now Honda is saying the manual is wrong. My girlfriend works in the medical software business. What she told me rings true here: It's easier to change the documentation then it is to correct the software.
Or shred the evidence. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,043 Posts
delphi7x10 said:
SHovelhd,

It seems to me in one of these threads, it say not to start the truck, just turn the key to the on position, not to start. Since you say it works to you shut the engine off, this may be your problem. Sorry I can't find the post, but its in here somewhere.
I wasn't clear. I follow the procedure in the manual EXACTLY. It works fine for the first start/run cycle. After I shut it off and restart, the locks return to the annoying state, and stays that way.

Has anyone on this board gotten the auto locking feature disabled permanently?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
307 Posts
Tonight I was sorting-thru the various printouts we had made when researching the Ridgeline, and came across this from Honda:

2006 Honda Ridgeline Quick Facts--"First application of automatic door lock function on a Honda vehicle."

Wish they had gotten it right! Hope they develop a fix! :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,092 Posts
laserfan said:
Tonight I was sorting-thru the various printouts we had made when researching the Ridgeline, and came across this from Honda:
2006 Honda Ridgeline Quick Facts--"First application of automatic door lock function on a Honda vehicle."
Wish they had gotten it right! Hope they develop a fix! :eek:
Saw that too and laughed as the '05 Ody had this first and the Ody does have an option to unlock all the doors when put into park.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
307 Posts
Well, it remains really difficult for me to believe, in this age where everything is computerized (as the locks are as well, evidenced by the bizarre key-and-button sequences you have to execute to change modes), that firmware couldn't be re-flashed, or a chip replaced, to make this right.

How about it Honda? We know you are watching this board. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,092 Posts
laserfan said:
Well, it remains really difficult for me to believe, in this age where everything is computerized (as the locks are as well, evidenced by the bizarre key-and-button sequences you have to execute to change modes), that firmware couldn't be re-flashed, or a chip replaced, to make this right.
How about it Honda? We know you are watching this board. :D
From what I've learned the module would have to be replaced. If enough people call American Honda and complain they might offer this.
(800) 999-1009
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
I was contacted by Honda this weekend. Had a very nice discussion on many topics, including the ROC site. Honda is aware of the site and is watching.

I raised the "All Doors Unlock" issue and was informed that this was the #1 issue raised during surveys. Honda is taking it seriously and looking into what they can do.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,392 Posts
851duck said:
Silver RTS 541 miles

Why wouldn't I want all the doors to unlock :confused:
I had a Trooper that popped all four doors unlocked with the key. Then I got my Jeep GC and it only unlocks the driver's door. I reach inside an flip a button on the door rest if I want to unlock all the doors. Doesn't the RL have this feature?

When I'm driving, I like keeping all but the door I'm entering locked. I try to be careful about the dangers in the world, I don't want to unlock all my doors in a parking lot or on the street so some criminal could hop in the passenger's side or right behind me. That is a good reason not to open all of them automatically.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Locked Doors - More Safe ?

I'm not terribly worried about crime, so unlocking the doors after driving seems more of a hassle than a feature. However, if a locked door is safer in an accident, then I'd be in favor of it.

Does anyone know if locking a door does anything to improve crashworthiness?

Or does it just disable the handles?

If the latter, it seems locked doors would actually be less safe since it hampers a quick exit as well as outside rescue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Re: Locked Doors - More Safe ?

Featser,

I have read many an article that says it is much safer in an accident to have teh doors locked, it prevents them from opening and you be ejected.


Featser said:
SNIP...
However, if a locked door is safer in an accident, then I'd be in favor of it.

Does anyone know if locking a door does anything to improve crashworthiness?

Or does it just disable the handles?

If the latter, it seems locked doors would actually be less safe since it hampers a quick exit as well as outside rescue.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top