Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who can tell me why my doors are auto-locking (sometimes)?
My wife said it happened to her once and luckily the rear window was open enough for my son to climb thru.

Happened to me yesterday. Keys in the ignition. Motor off.
I get out and the doors lock by themselves.

Oh, and what may be rattling around near my CAT? I don't think it's a heat shield either.

Thanks!,
TomJV

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I always start with the cheapest stuff first. Not saying these are the problem, but best to rule these out first.

1) as is always said, check the vehicle battery. Low voltage can cause the doors to auto lock

2) you might try reprogramming auto lock function on the key fob. There is a discussion on how to do this starting on or around page 83 of the owners manual (at least it's that page in the 2007 RTS book).

3) key fob (button or battery) could be starting to wear out. If you have a second key, you might try driving with that one and see if the problem continues

4) you could be having problems with the actuators in the door. My guess would be the front drivers side.

You were having problems with the door locks years ago (2010-ish), but never stated what the resolution for that issue was

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^

Ditto that.... if nobody's changed the programming, it's probably your battery getting weak. (the car battery, not the fob)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Can you lock the doors with the remote?
Can you unlock them with the remote? Do they lock again on their own?

When you lock the doors, do you get the horn chirp/light flash?

Along with power problems and aftermarket accessories, a bad/incorrect signal to the control unit is a likely issue.
I could be that the actuator for one of the doors isn't sending a lock signal or door open switch signal missing.

Was any work done on the truck recently? Might give you a starting point.
A scan tool will show all the lock and switch signals... may be worth going in for that inspection. It will quickly tell you which is acting up.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,073 Posts
As a "safety feature", if you hit the unlock button on the key fob and do not open one of the doors within 30 seconds, the doors automatically lock again. I don't know if this is what you're experiencing, but it does sound like there may be an issue going on.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
4) you could be having problems with the actuators in the door. My guess would be the front drivers side.
Thats what my problem was a couple years ago. Narrowed things down bought the part and all has been good. Took about hour and a half, if one knows whats going on it would be less. Part wasnt that expensive. If I remember I Googled it and found pics and a walk thru on how to do it. My truck was running in my driveway and the doors would lock and had issues with windows.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,073 Posts
Thats what my problem was a couple years ago. Narrowed things down bought the part and all has been good. Took about hour and a half, if one knows whats going on it would be less. Part wasnt that expensive. If I remember I Googled it and found pics and a walk thru on how to do it. My truck was running in my driveway and the doors would lock and had issues with windows.
Yes, it does sound like this is what the OP is experiencing. Maybe a short or fault in the main switch? That's where the auto lock function is housed, anyways. It may very well be the best thing to replace the whole switch panel. Taking off the driver's door panel is very simple and replacing the switch panel is as easy as taking off a few screws and unplugging the panel. I'm not certain if there is any reprogramming that needs to be done, but I highly doubt it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts