Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days with my RTL-E. Noticed the doors do not close properly unless you put some force into. Anyone else experience this? Dealer is looking at but told me the doors are heavier than previous generation RL?

· Registered
24 Posts
I noticed that the doors on my RTL-E require a bit more force to close properly unless I have a window or another door opened. I guess its just the air pressure affecting the doors but it there should be some one way vent with flap like all cars have usually under the rear bumper to let the air out.

· Premium Member
818 Posts
I am guessing that this, like the door not opening far enough, are both products of feedback on the Pilot concerning kids... Kids open the doors and slam the neighboring car in the parking lot, so Honda makes it open not as far. And kids have doors shut on their legs and arms when not intended. Overdampening prevents the crush. Just a guess. (These people should have an Ody)

· Registered
182 Posts
ooooh my favorite topic, not. :) my ridgeline has been to the dealer 3 times for door close, gap, line issues and now it's gone to honda of america. I was pulling so hard to close my door that i could hear the plastics snaps being pulled out of place from behind the inner door handle. i'd have to push them back in until i heard them click. the doorgap is still an issue on my vehicle, it just gets shifted to a new position. every time they adjust it, it has to go to another guy to properly align the door striker.

the door close issue can be cured by properly aligning the striker (near the door handle) before that can occur, check to make sure the door gap is not only even, but flush all the way around. next check that the door seals are pressed into place properly, especially the inner seal by the dash board. this corner always seems to lift, and make sure the edge isn't folded underneath itself. i've seen this on two ridgelines already including the exterior trim by the tailgate.

you can do this yourself, however i'm not touching my vehicle at this point. honda can fix their mistake. it may take you about 10 times to find the sweet spot but it can be done. my door now shuts like butter but there's still a noticeable gap (factory defect IMO) on my door. I am satisfied that i can now close my door with my pinky and minimal pressure, but the gap issue has pissed me off that i don't want this F-ing truck any more.... don't even get me started on the hesitation issue!!

· Administrator
24,832 Posts
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...017/138161-anyone-else-s-door-hard-close.html

I was pulling so hard to close my door that i could hear the plastics snaps being pulled out of place from behind the inner door handle. i'd have to push them back in until i heard them click.
Reading this reminded me of my 2010 when it was only a few weeks old. I had just got in it to leave after visiting some friends one evening. When I reached over to pull the door closed, the whole door panel came off. I just sat there expressionless for several seconds glancing back and forth between the door panel in my hand and the door itself, which was still out of reach. I've been scared of pulling on doors handles since then. :)

· Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E | Northeast U.S.
2,967 Posts
Lots of 2017 Ridgeline owners have noticed this issue. You might check if one of your doors is more difficult to close than the others. The air pressure is the issue and I would suggest that the most likely cause or reason is that Honda had a target goal of cutting down on outside noise in developing this new Ridgeline. In doing so they may have made it a bit more airtight than the average car. My advice is to to you is to live with it. I had them adjust one door on my Ridgeline that was a bit more difficult than the others to close.. Now I don't think about it anymore. I've become used to the difference.

Reactions: Sparkland

· Registered
182 Posts
I too was told the doors were heavier, it has better seals, they are new seals, there are 3 seals, there is no check valve, etc. I heard it all from different service advisors... and continued to hold up my B.S. flag until they fixed it right. Finally i was able to take it to a new car PDI tech that has been there for 20+ years, someone that actually loves their job and takes pridein their work and likes to do thing right. ever watch holmes on holmes? that kind of guy. we were cut from the same cloth... anwyays. he was able to adjust the striker angle just right (after 10+ attempts) and now i can close the door with my pinky, in fact just today as i was getting out of the truck, i closed the door and it hung up on the center divot. you know when you close the door but don't apply enough pressure, the door will go from wide open to that center point and get hung there? well this went passed the center point and i was thinking surely it's going to get the ole one click and not close all the way.... I turned to start walking back to the truck and it got both clicks and shut all the way ! when i first got the vehicle i had to push and pull so hard the door card was starting to come unsnapped form inside. i feel bad for zroger, at least there's a few screws holding this one on, at least i think there are. I've never yanked a whole door card off before but this one came close!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.