Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be a brief as possible. This is driving me CRAZY! I have the following problems, and I am not sure when this all started as this is a relative's vehicle.
1. right front & both rear doors will not unlock with remote key. (does work with switch on both front doors)
2.express window open with remote key does not work, express open or close does not work with key in cylinder in drivers door.
3.trunk will not open when vehicle is unlocked. have to open trunk with key.
4.drivers dome lamp, (left front) does not come on when opening drivers door. all other lamps in headliner come on when opening door.

What I have checked so far
1.removed door lock actuators on r.f. door & l.r. door, both operate when applying 12 volts, lock & unlock.
2.checked voltage to actuators to both doors, (r.f. & l.r.) receiving 12 volts on average.
3.checked all fuses in kick panel at l.f. footrest & under hood on passenger side.
4.trunk actuator receiving 12 volts locking & unlocking, can hear microswitch working when actuating opening button.
5.buttons in all door jambs & tailgate jamb all operating & working interior lamps & bed lighting.
6.replaced remote key battery, (only have one remote)
7.checked connectors at l.f. door jamb, plugged in & secure.
8.purchased lock actuators for r.f. & l.r. door, replaced both & no change to unlocking. problem still remain.

I would appreciate any help I could get!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something but it sounds like the remote is broke.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm sorry, didn't mention, the remote locks doors, unlocks drivers door, just dosent unlock unlock other 3 doors.
When shifting to drive, the drivers door locks and you can hear the rest of the locks making noise like they lock, unlock & lock again......but those 3 locks(r.f., r.r., l.r.) do nothing.
Feel like i'm missing something...........
everything I read on forum keeps leading me to believe it might be a battery??

·
Registered
186 Posts
Low voltage (weak battery) can do strange things... I wouldn't think the vehicle side would perform differently but? I do not know how the signals are sorted out. My thought went to the door programming options. Please keep us updated...

i'm sorry, didn't mention, the remote locks doors, unlocks drivers door, just dosent unlock unlock other 3 doors.
When shifting to drive, the drivers door locks and you can hear the rest of the locks making noise like they lock, unlock & lock again......but those 3 locks(r.f., r.r., l.r.) do nothing.
Feel like i'm missing something...........
everything I read on forum keeps leading me to believe it might be a battery??

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
So whatever is activated with the second click of the remote is broke. I just don't know what the second click activates to make it do what it does. This probably is the same relay or whatever that locks those 3 doors with the gear shift. Theres a hundred guys on here more techy than me so maybe one of them can answer better. That's my thinking on it though.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Didn't catch the year of the truck.

My brand new 2012 RL had similar problems when I bought it. Turned out to be a bad connection to the power wire at the fuse box serving the alarm/door lock module. It took the dealer 3 days to diagnose it but at least it was warranty.

I believe the module is in the driver door. Your description leads me to believe it may be the module.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I believe the module is in the driver door. Your description leads me to believe it may be the module.
My thinking exactly. Well, my first thought was the Body Control Module but I did not know the RL had a separate door lock module.

Were the locks always like this since they bought it or did the problems start later?
On modern vehicles there are often several control modules for different vehicle functions and they are often interrelated.
If it were mine I'd start at the lock module by checking plug connections and voltages/continuity and then checking any other modules that it may communicate with.
Do you/they have an FSM? That should have diagnostic guides, componant locations and wiring diagrams which will help you greatly in tracking down this problem.
Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Sorry, the truck is a 2001 Ridgeline.
The vehicle was purchased new from the dealer.
There has not been anything installed aftermarket or factory since purchase.
I did check door lock settings covered in owners manual, the settings seem to set, just 3 of the 4 doors wont unlock, only drivers door.
I did notice when the doors lock when shifting to drive, the locks try & actuate 2-3 more times.
The drivers door will unlock when turning vehicle off, just none of the others, and it is set for global unlocking.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I hope you meant a 2011 Ridgeline. None were made in 2001.

Is it by any chance still under warranty? Otherwise I'm stumped

On my truck, you have to depress the unlock button twice on the key fob to unlock all doors. The driver door only will unlock with just one press of the fob.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Had a very similar issues with my 02 chrysler Sebring. It was old so never had anyone look at it before I traded it in on the RL. Both remotes had the same issue so wasn't remote fob. And it wouldn't do it all the time. It seemed to happen at different times of the year which lead me to think it was probably a connection and the metal expanding/contracting depending on the temperature changes. If its under warranty, would definitely have the dealer work on it as suggested.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Do you still have the two keys? Do both remotes have the same issues?

Have you tried turning off the option that locks the doors automatically and just set it to manual all the time? Shouldn't matter or have any effect but I would at least play with that to see if anything happens before getting too deep into replacing parts and tearing the truck apart.

Other than that I will agree that I have seen a bad/low battery make vehicles do goofy stuff.

Good luck! Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I know that there should multiple lock-unlock set up options. I'd start with reading manual on that matter.
Next, I'd find out how to reset all locks to a factory state.
If it works, it works. Something is either not set up right or is glitched in electronic brains. That should be BCM's brain.
Maybe is power down vehicle overnight by disconnecting battery cables and touch CABLES to remove any residual charge. Hopefully, this will reset it all to where it's supposed to be. Instead of tearing car apart.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i will be a brief as possible. This is driving me crazy! I have the following problems, and i am not sure when this all started as this is a relative's vehicle.
1. Right front & both rear doors will not unlock with remote key. (does work with switch on both front doors)
2.express window open with remote key does not work, express open or close does not work with key in cylinder in drivers door.
3.trunk will not open when vehicle is unlocked. Have to open trunk with key.
4.drivers dome lamp, (left front) does not come on when opening drivers door. All other lamps in headliner come on when opening door.

What i have checked so far
1.removed door lock actuators on r.f. Door & l.r. Door, both operate when applying 12 volts, lock & unlock.
2.checked voltage to actuators to both doors, (r.f. & l.r.) receiving 12 volts on average.
3.checked all fuses in kick panel at l.f. Footrest & under hood on passenger side.
4.trunk actuator receiving 12 volts locking & unlocking, can hear microswitch working when actuating opening button.
5.buttons in all door jambs & tailgate jamb all operating & working interior lamps & bed lighting.
6.replaced remote key battery, (only have one remote)
7.checked connectors at l.f. Door jamb, plugged in & secure.
8.purchased lock actuators for r.f. & l.r. Door, replaced both & no change to unlocking. Problem still remain.

I would appreciate any help i could get!
my 2009 honda ridgeline for the first time is experiencing almost the same issue we look the car with the remote key later same day i go back my car turn the alarm off with remote key the alarms goes off but the doors do not open.
Any help or idea what is happening

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.