Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was flopping around under the new buggy this morning. Lot's of interesting stuff that you don't see on Ford's and Chevy's :D

Just in front of the gas tank, on the driver's side of the car (duh, that's where the gas tank is), there is a black box about a foot long, by ten inches wide, by three inches high. There are tubes and wires going into it.

This box is protected like Fort Knox. There is a shield bolted around it and then there is a heavy skid plate and tubing around that.

What ever this thing is, Honda doesn't want it to get busted.

Question is: What is it??? My guess is it's the controller and yaw sensor that feeds the 4-channel braking/traction/anti-skid system.

Curious minds want to know.

Thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
430 Posts
I think you may be on the right track.

There could also be the black box that a lot of car companies are putting in their vehicles now a days. It records the 10 seconds or so of the vehicle's dynamics before an accident. The information is then used to help safety folks design safer vehicles. This is similar to the black box you hear about on airplanes.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Do you have the factory nav system? The nav black box is in that vicinity.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's the carbon canister for the hydrocarbon evaporative emmisions control system. It prevents gasoline vapors from being released into the atmosphere. The vapors from the tank are held there until the engine is running, where it then slowly purges the vapors into the engine to be combusted. The canisters are not as tough as the fuel tank, and need the protection of that skid plate. A fuel vapor leak is a dangerous thing, too.

Cheers,
Jeffro

·
Registered
73 Posts
No it's not!!!! It's the Stability system control...middle of the vehicle, center of gravity...crawl under a Pilot, you'll see the exact same thing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
doubledutyemt said:
No it's not!!!! It's the Stability system control...middle of the vehicle, center of gravity...crawl under a Pilot, you'll see the exact same thing.

You're right, sorta. The Pilot has had that same black box there since it was introduced. But as far as the stability system, the Pilot just began offering it this year on the EX-L model. The stability control (VSA) system electonics are in the cabin, and it also uses the ABS modulator, which is in the engine room. The black box under the skid plate is the carbon canister.

Cheers,
Jeffro

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm with Jeffro. I had the same thing on my CR-V and hit a large hard clod and it came off. This happened to me two times. It got into the half shaft and boot. I had to replace that as well as the canister. It needs to be protected. My repalcements were very costly.

My 97 CR-V could go just about anywhere but the 2003 had the gas tank down low and protected but not the canister.

Tiger

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup, looks like the thingamajig in box labeled 1.

Thanks Jeffro. I thought there was plumbing coming from the gas tank, but the four brake lines also went up into that general area.

That is sure is a lot of stuff to control vapors.

Thanks for the info!!!!!

Dave

·
Registered
30 Posts
Desert Ridge said:
Yup, looks like the thingamajig in box labeled 1.

Thanks Jeffro. I thought there was plumbing coming from the gas tank, but the four brake lines also went up into that general area.

That is sure is a lot of stuff to control vapors.

Thanks for the info!!!!!

Dave
No Problem, Dave.

I believe that all Honda vehicles meet ZERO level Evaporative Emissions standards (LEVII). To qualify, I think that they have to prove that thier fuel systems will not release hydrocarbon emmisions into the atmosphere for up to 150,000 miles. It's quite an accomplishment, and requires the use of that fancy shmancy canister under the floor. Additionally, the plastic fuel tank is a multi-layer construction, and all of the hoses are zero permeation type, as well. Of course, this is more expensive, but Honda has always seemed to find a way to lead in emmisions control technology.

Jeffro
:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts