Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hypothetically, if someone were to drag race the G2 AWD ridgeline, would it be best to put it in Sand mode? I've noticed that this mode has the best throttle response. Any ideas on the best setup for this hypothetical drag race?

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver
170 Posts
It's AWD. Full throttle is full throttle. My ASSumtion is it won't matter. However...
Some fly by wire throttles (computer) get confused for a second if the throttle gets mashed down abruptly. Ease it down quickly, but not as fast as you can.
Tell the tree operator you want to run for time only. Watch your 0 to 60 times. Then experiment, let us know what works

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
If you have the 2020 model, it's been reported that nine-speed defaults to second gear for starts. So manually switching to first gear could enhance your 1/4 mile performance.

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts

Seems they did better in D mode rather than S??
They said "Sport" mode, not S. Who knows what they meant? Does that mean disabling "Eco", or disabling VSA, or did they put it in Sand mode? TFL is known more for entertainment than thoroughness, so we may never know.

·
Registered
455 Posts
They also continued to brake torque even thought they said the transmission / vsa didn't like it. Not saying it would have beat the ranger but you can see it stumble off the line doing it that way instead of just stabbing the throttle.

But they are idiots looking for page views instead of doing a 'boring' test so every video on the RL has been frustrating. For instance the gold mine hill where he intentionally took the wrong line to 'get stuck' and the off road challenge where Roman overheated the transmission with his "over cautious because ground clearance" driving.

·
Administrator
16,020 Posts
Sand mode increases tip-in and gain at part-throttle, raises shifts points, and allows for more wheel spin. However, it cannot open the throttle wider than wide open or raise the maximum shift points. Also, the maximum application of the rear clutches wastes power. Sand mode is good for allowing all four wheels to paddle through sand, but in theory it's the worst for drag racing.

It's also possilbe a FWD Ridgeline would win a drag race against an AWD even though the FWD will have more wheel spin for two reasons:

1. The AWD version weighs 191 lbs. more.
2. During acceleration, some power is being wasted as heat due to friction between the clutches in the iVTM-4 as it tries to turn the rear wheels 2.7% faster than the front wheels.

·
Registered
529 Posts
If you want speed you buy a Porsche, you want to go 4wheeling you buy a jeep, if you want to take the family camping, you buy an Expedition, and if you want to do heavy construction, buy a full size truck - you pick.

Not sure why anyone would want to race a Ridgeline, it is by far the slowest vehicle I've ever owned, also the heaviest, but for what it is, its got some pep to it and it's the most useful vehicle I've ever owned, and one of the few I really love owning.

I would never rev it up and try to blow past someone on the road, it just doesn't have it in it.

·
Administrator
16,020 Posts
D/S on button shift ,S for drive S is sport . Double Tap it will go sport mode
Actually, the S position is for sequential mode, not sport mode.

I mean D for normal driving S for sport longer from 1 to second gear
Unless you manually select 1st by pulling the left paddle shifter while in sequential mode, the transmission always starts in 2nd, but will downshift to 1st under hard acceleration.

·
Administrator
16,020 Posts
Tell me more Zroger73, what is the benefit of sequential mode? And why it starts in 2nd gear?
Sequential mode allows you to hold a specific and valid gear for a longer period of time. It also prevents the transmission from automatically shifting above 7th gear except at high speeds where it will shift no higher than 8th gear.

1st gear is unnecessarily "low" for normal take-offs. By starting in 2nd, a shift shortly after taking off is eliminated which improves comfort.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Agree with a few others here. If you want fun.... go buy an S2000 to park next to the Ridgeline.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
They said "Sport" mode, not S. Who knows what they meant? Does that mean disabling "Eco", or disabling VSA, or did they put it in Sand mode? TFL is known more for entertainment than thoroughness, so we may never know.
That was a lame TFL. Andre likely just assumed that "S" was Sport mode. He also said it was an "all new" Ridgeline. There's not much new to it besides the 9-sp tranny. But my biggest laugh was when they only used the truck computers to run the fuel efficiency comparison. We all know that's not reliable and varies across makes and models. Yet TFL has done other truck fuel efficiency comparisons where they were very careful to dispense gas consistently and hand-calculate the mpgs after acknowledging that the computer-based readouts are inaccurate.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This should be paired with the thread about the design flaw because it does not have enough ground clearance when backing out of a driveway. Buy the appropriate vehicle for your desires.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts