Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I had to do it. I went and ordered all the stuff I needed to install it at my local truck accessory place (Brown's), and they installed it today, in just about an hour. Cost was $276 and change including install, tax, etc.

All-in-all, a nice piece, very rugged and clean install, plus it saved me all the headache. I also put in my order for the Access tonneau cover...the good one. I can't wait till I can use the bed when it is raining outside.

The First pic is before, and second one is after the hitch install.

Cheers,
George

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
Dt= 4 bolts

Honda = 6 bolts

Do the math - ok if you don't plan on towing a heavy trailer

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As a matter of fact, the Drawtite hitch uses three bolts on the driver's side, three bolts on the passenger's side, and two bolts directly in the middle above the receiver.

That is eight bolts all together. I can take more pics tomorrow if you need further proof. Also, the wiring harness is from Drawtite and is zip-tied to the hitch bar, and the excess (quite a bit, I guess if you don't have a very long pigtail that reaches to the hitch itself) is all coiled up underneath, too. I was very impressed with the installer (some young kid, who immediately started to play with the power rear window...he was awe-struck!)

Wanna wrestle now?!?!?!

Cheers,
George

·
Registered
254 Posts
I guess D-T changed their design - maybe one too many liability suits.

The Honda hitch is designed to more stringent durability standards (load and cycle). The aftermarket hitches will not survive this abuse.

By the way – the Honda hitch looks better = hidden under the bumper fascia plus skid plate and integrated 7-pin adapter mounting.

You will probably be OK with your hitch under your intended ownership experience. Honda designs for the 6 sigma customer. That is why the products are reliable. The drive-train is protected for aftermarket hitch installations since the towing coolers are standard (unless you plug-up the cooling area with a grille “plug”). The truck will be fine. Your trailer should be OK as long as you don’t exceed the load rating at all.

Be safe and try not do be so defensive.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Not to hijack a thread, but what exactly is a '6 sigma' customer?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Six Sigma - What is Six Sigma?

Definition of Six Sigma

Six Sigma at many organizations simply means a measure of quality that strives for near perfection. Six Sigma is a disciplined, data-driven approach and methodology for eliminating defects (driving towards six standard deviations between the mean and the nearest specification limit) in any process -- from manufacturing to transactional and from product to service.

The statistical representation of Six Sigma describes quantitatively how a process is performing. To achieve Six Sigma, a process must not produce more than 3.4 defects per million opportunities. A Six Sigma defect is defined as anything outside of customer specifications. A Six Sigma opportunity is then the total quantity of chances for a defect.

·
2,346 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread . . .

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
GJRUGBY said:
The First pic is before, and second one is after the hitch install.George
I dont want to nit-pick or be a killjoy but your drawbar/ball look like they are tilted or cocked a little to the right. Not much though.

You may want to check it. The install looks nice and level.

It may be the Six Sigma factor. :confused:

I should shut up. You got a great price and a good install. I can tell you are happy.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
My Drawtite hitch also has the rating right in plain view...6000 pounds with a load-distributing trailer and toungue-weight of 600, or the "Honda-rated" 5000 pounds trailer weight and 500 pound tongue weight.

Sounds to me like my hitch is stronger than your hitch. Plus I got it for $276 as opposed to $795 from Honda...that makes mine about one-thrid the cost of the Honda one.

Yes, I did notice in the PICTURE that the hitch looks slightly off-center. You must realize that I took the pics with my SONY digital camera, and if you know most digital cameras, the photo lense is off to the side. So, if you stand right in the middle of something, it will seem like it is "leaning" off to the other side, simply because the lense is closer to that side of the object, as such with my pictures. I was a finance major, not under-water-basket-weaving. Trust me, it is straight.

Cheers,
George

·
Registered
198 Posts
Kodiak said:
Six Sigma - What is Six Sigma?

Definition of Six Sigma

Six Sigma at many organizations simply means a measure of quality that strives for near perfection. Six Sigma is a disciplined, data-driven approach and methodology for eliminating defects (driving towards six standard deviations between the mean and the nearest specification limit) in any process -- from manufacturing to transactional and from product to service.

The statistical representation of Six Sigma describes quantitatively how a process is performing. To achieve Six Sigma, a process must not produce more than 3.4 defects per million opportunities. A Six Sigma defect is defined as anything outside of customer specifications. A Six Sigma opportunity is then the total quantity of chances for a defect.
Oh, that would explain the windshield noise. :D

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
BamaRidge said:
Oh, that would explain the windshield noise. :D
Actually you may want to look back at his response, they design for Six Sigma, the windshield is a manufacturing flaw not a design flaw. That being said, it doesn't mean that errors will not occur, it simply means that they will likely occur in batches.

·
2,346 Posts
Good post.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
GJRUGBY said:
My Drawtite hitch also has the rating right in plain view...6000 pounds with a load-distributing trailer and toungue-weight of 600, or the "Honda-rated" 5000 pounds trailer weight and 500 pound tongue weight.

Sounds to me like my hitch is stronger than your hitch. Plus I got it for $276 as opposed to $795 from Honda...that makes mine about one-thrid the cost of the Honda one.
While I personally don't care what hitch you install, using the numbers on the Drawtite hitch as saying it is stronger than the Honda hitch is a bad assumption. Honda rated their hitch at the exact rating for the vehicle, putting a higher rating on it would have encouraged people to tow more than the vehicle was designed for. Just because the tongue-weight of your hitch is 600 doesn't mean you should exceed the vehicles rating for trailer tongue-weight.

And going back to Kodiak's original response, more bolts does not equal higher quality or better strength for either direction. It is the quality of the attachment points on both the vehicle and the hitch itself. Just like putting more nails into your carpentry won't necessarily make for a stronger piece, it depends on how you do the joinery.

That being said, I am sure Drawtite makes a good product, given the number of people who have put them on vehicles and had no problems with them. I personally am happy with my Honda hitch but I couldn't tell you what it costs because I bought it as part of the Lifestyles package (hitch, bed extender, roof rack).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dealer cost for the "towing package" which includes the hitch, draw bar, harness, key locking hitch pin and ball of your choice is $319 !!!

So if you ask me, your better off convincing your dealer to sell it to you at cost and putting in on yourself. I like the idea that a dealer isn't going to be able to blame my harness or hitch for some problem im having.

·
Registered
218 Posts
This thread is unbelievable! Someone shares experience with a proud new installation and he is immediately accosted regarding the quality of his choice. The guy even posted pictures, for crying out loud. Quite frankly I'm surprised. People on this board are usually so supportive. Let's drop it right now. The fact is Draw-Tite, Hidden-Hitch and Honda all sell perfectly serviceable class III hitches. We each choose the one that fits our needs the best. Playing "mine's better" is pointless and childish. Enough said.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Bravo......Well said, Spritzgeezer. You can only tow so much weight, regardless of what hitch you use. The guy did a good job, he got a hitch and he likes it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you for whoever got my thread back to its intended subject.

I have more pictures of my "stronger" hitch. More bolts equals stronger install/hitch. Less costly, even IF the dealer would sell you the Honda one at dealer cost (cold chance in hell that happens!).

Nonetheless, here are my pics. The first one is of the center, above the receiver (the rust is from my old receiver). Pic #2 is of the driver's side , where you can plainly see three bolts.

Enjoy, and thank you for most of your support.
Cheers,
George, happy and saving money

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
GJRUGBY said:
I have more pictures of my "stronger" hitch. More bolts equals stronger install/hitch. Less costly, even IF the dealer would sell you the Honda one at dealer cost (cold chance in hell that happens!).

Nonetheless, here are my pics. The first one is of the center, above the receiver (the rust is from my old receiver). Pic #2 is of the driver's side , where you can plainly see three bolts.

Enjoy, and thank you for most of your support.
Cheers,
George, happy and saving money
Good that you took the time to posts pictures. Pictures are always great.

My earlier post regarding your slightly tilted drawbar was in no way a criticism of you purchase. I thought, if there were a problem you could check it out. I dont believe many of the other posts were trying to be critical either. They were just expressing their knowledge and experiences.

You are happy with your purchase as I could tell in your first post and that is what really counts. When I purchase something of equal or greater value and save money it makes me happy also, as I'm sure it does with everyone else.

Enjoy your ride and towing experience.

Joe

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you, I know that was hard to "say."

In response to the "leaning" receiver, the white receiver bar, that slides into the hitch bar, is slightly off at the top, meaning it is not cut perfectly straight. But I have been using this receiver for over four years now, with no problems. I appreciate your attention to detail, for a second I thought I had a "crooked" install, but it turns out it is just the receiver. :cool:

Cheers,
George

1 - 20 of 38 Posts