Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to get dried bird poop off a vehicle? I'd been lazy and only washing in the touchless car wash for some time, then when I hand washed tonight, I found some bird poop on my roof that I hadn't seen before. It was dried hard as a brick and won't come off.

I tried bug and tar remover without any luck. Any ideas what will get it off?

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
A very warm very soaked towel laid on top of it for 15-20 minutes should dissolve it if it hasn't absorbed to much petroleum product from the bug and tar remover.
swampler said:
Does anyone know how to get dried bird poop off a vehicle? I'd been lazy and only washing in the touchless car wash for some time, then when I hand washed tonight, I found some bird poop on my roof that I hadn't seen before. It was dried hard as a brick and won't come off.

I tried bug and tar remover without any luck. Any ideas what will get it off?

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,611 Posts
I agree with NotaChevy. That stuff can leave a mark. You probably should polish and wax the roof after you get it off. If the poop didn't eat through the wax and into the clearcoat the tar and bug remover at least removed any wax that you had in the area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,025 Posts
swampler said:
Well, the warm, soaked towel didn't do a thing for it. Any other ideas? I'll have to work on it more tomorrow or over the weekend.

I definitely plan on re-waxing the roof after I get this stuff off.
I waited to long on another vehicle and even after professional buffing, had left a permanent mark. Come to find out, when the birds eat berries, the acid remains in the waste.. hence acid etch into ones paint! I always get them off the minute I see em!
Good luck with this
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
TheRidgester said:
I waited to long on another vehicle and even after professional buffing, had left a permanent mark. Come to find out, when the birds eat berries, the acid remains in the waste.. hence acid etch into ones paint! I always get them off the minute I see em!
Good luck with this
If you still have chunks left on the paint, scrape it off with a plastic scraper, then clean the pain with tar and bug remove, clean with alcohol, and polish the area well. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tex's Ridge said:
If you still have chunks left on the paint, scrape it off with a plastic scraper, then clean the pain with tar and bug remove, clean with alcohol, and polish the area well. :)
Won't that scratch the paint?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,611 Posts
Oh boy, that bird must have been eating the Bondo and epoxy that was holding a Ford Explorer together. Next step is what Tex said. You might try to soak it overnight with WD-40.

If neither of those work, try one of these.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,225 Posts
You sure it's bird poop and not something you picked up passing under a bridge or overhead construction area? That sounds like one tough bird!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
swampler said:
Won't that scratch the paint?
It should'nt scratch the clear coat. Now, if you used a cold chisel and a ballpeen hammer.... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
steveberger said:
You sure it's bird poop and not something you picked up passing under a bridge or overhead construction area? That sounds like one tough bird!
Hadn't thought of that. I do drive under a bridge every morning going to work that is being worked on. I suppose it could be a splash of concrete, though I don't really think it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,225 Posts
swampler said:
Hadn't thought of that. I do drive under a bridge every morning going to work that is being worked on. I suppose it could be a splash of concrete, though I don't really think it is.
Maybe paint or epoxy coating of some kind. I would be considering professional body work assistance on this one.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top