Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, my amp - Kenwood Excelon KAC-X4R. It fits PERFECTLY under the front passenger seat from the front. My question is... I want to mount the amp directly to the floor. There really isn't any room for a bottom piece to mount onto. One person used velcro - I want to drill. Should I just go for it with self tappers right into the floorpan? I looked the best I could - there "shouldn't" :eek: be anything I can hit - right? Fuel lines, gas tank all out of the way. Should I chance it? I really want it solid mounted.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Make a board and brackets that connect to the seat bolts. No way would I drill through the floor. No way.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Totally agree with Shovelhd, you are asking for rust and a multitude of problems if you drill thru the floorboards.

If you do the mount there, be sure to take pics so we can see how it turned out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I couldn't disagree more with the drilling idea. Whenever possible you dont want to put holes in your truck. Figure another way to mount it. Drilling holes is just begging for trouble down the road or right away. There was a post here a little while back that someone thought they were clear to drill and ended up puncturing their gas tank. Something like $800 bucks tofor new tank.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Drilling into the seat bracket is ok. Drilling into the bodywork isn't a great idea.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Two additional potential issues:

- grounding the body of the amp directly to the body of the vehicle sometimes causes engine noise issues. (Although sometimes, it solves them too!). Even when I installed amps in the trunk (against the rear seat or upside-down on the rear deck) I used to mount them on a cheap piece of plywood, and attach only the ground wire to the vehicle body..
- in northern climates an amp mounted tightly against the floor will invariably corrode as salt water seeps through the carpeting.

·
Registered
174 Posts
paint a piece of mdf or birch approx the same size as the amp then place the wood under the carpet then screw the amp to the wood through the carpet with short screws

1 - 9 of 9 Posts