Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Drive belt tensioner bolt loose

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Bhosa 
#1 ·
Starting about November or December 2019 I had been hearing a squeaky drive belt but the noise stopped when the weather warmed up some. I had the timing belt and water pump replaced at a dealership at about 120k in 2017 (1st owner never did it). I had the oil changed in March and my regular dealership said the drive belt was in need of replacement, but couldn't tell me why, just that it was in need of replacement soon. The belt looked fine to me, no cracks or splits, not shiny, no frays. Since the stimulus checks were rolling in I decided to get the valves adjusted at another dealership that doesn't charge $130 an hour for labor. That dealer didn't mention the drive belt but they did mention replacement of the belt tensioner needing to be replaced, again no reason why. So I picked up and AC Delco belt and a Continental tensioner and installed it this morning. To my surprise, the engine mount bolt was backed out about half an inch and the lower belt tensioner bolt was only in by a few threads hand tight.

Was this something that naturally occurs (not likely), or was is the laziness/maliciousness of a dealer tech between 2017 and 2020?

2007 RTL 148k

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.