Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if this has been discussed, but I am curious. I find that if I am moving at a slow speed (5-10 mph) and as I start to apply throttle, it feels like the truck downshifts for a second (I don't think it really is, but it feels like it) before picking up speed. I was wondering if that had anything to do with the drive by wire throttle. Hopefully, I explained this properly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I noticed the same thing in a parking lot last night, feels like it hesitates or stumbles before picking up speed. Kind of like it doesn't know what gear to be in. Has only occured around 5mph or so.

While shopping for the Ridgeline, I didn't notice this. My own had the Honda tow package installed prior to purchase and I have heard rumors that it modifies how the transmission shifts to allow engine braking.

Perhaps someone else can chime in?

L

·
0 Posts
I have noticed this too. I just chalked it up to part of Honda's thinking and ENGINE-nuity. :D I have 20K plus on Ridgena and I'm doing fine. Maybe some of the experts have a reason. Kodiak? Can you help us with this??

·
Registered
668 Posts
Same here, I notice it happening all the time. I've tried to giv it gas gently, then more agreesively. Doesn't seem to matter, still happens. But dosn't bother me much.

·
Registered
668 Posts
mike kennedy said:
Just hope it's not a problem like my 2000 Odyssey transmission was! They switched that one out.

We just traded a 2000 ody. luckily we didn't have any transmission issues at 110,000 miles. they increased the warranty to 200,000 miles

L

·
0 Posts
mike kennedy said:
Just hope it's not a problem like my 2000 Odyssey transmission was! They switched that one out.
Hey Mike..was it the 2nd gear issue??? Just wondered.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Acceleration Lag off rolling start

Has anyone else noticed a slight lag or delay when accelerating after a rolling stop? I find that if I slow down but do not stop almost completely, the transmission hunts for 1st gear after attempting to accelerate from 2nd.

After a slight jerk, it eventually finds 1st gear but the lag drives me crazy!

·
Banned
1,577 Posts
Re: Acceleration Lag off rolling start

Yeah, I think this is common. It bugs me, too, but I'm getting more used to it. I used to drive a stick, so maybe I'm more aware of this than if I'd driven an automatic. I notice this type of thing in my wife's automatic Camry, too. Maybe it's just a characteristic of some automatic transmissions.

·
Registered
954 Posts

my 2000 CRV was notorious for that little thump....but I have not felt that with my ridge....I will try it today. :D All I can' say is the tranny is as smooth as silk. Shifting between gears is like slicing velveeta :rolleyes: cheese..( sorta speak )

·
Registered
269 Posts

Yep, I experience that as well.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts

I haven't noticed this at all. Every start seems to be pretty smooth.

·
Registered
233 Posts

I notice it too now and again. I really notice it when I accelerate out of a turn (at the very end) vice accelerating through a turn.

·
Registered
897 Posts

I'm no mechanic but I think the 'jerk' you refer to is the torque converter spooling and actually grabbing.

If you think about it - you're coming to a stop at ~20mph say...likely in second or third depending where you're coming from, engine dropping to first would have to be spinning more RPM to make that same MPH in a lower gear, yes?
Therefore when you slow down and are on the brakes (not gas yet) the tranny is declutching to allow the engine and tranny to unload so the car isn't being driven while trying to stop .
You gas it lightly and it's at threshhold speed where it starts to pull a low 2nd gear tug, then you realize you want more and snap it - it will downshift. Except you've gotten used to this now so you get the throttle down a little harder but not enough to make it aggressively downshift = 'jerk' sensation as the converter spools and grabs 1st for you, or as it simply unlocks and spins 2nd until it eventually locks 2nd and migrates to 3rd.

I beleive in the average electronically shifted tranny its something like <5mph before it will drop into 1st again without the aid of a certain throttle input to downshift for accel. purposes.
If it makes you feel any better, this is is the case on just about every auto vehicle i have driven except 4 cylinders, even they do it sometimes.

·
Registered
68 Posts

I get that little thump as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I haven't driven my Ridgeline enough yet to notice any shifting anomalies, but I know that my '01 Dakota QC 4.7L V8 used to "thump" into first when stopping. I'd be slowing down for a stop sign, and the thing would go into first gear with an audible "thump," moving the truck slightly forward. It also used to thump a bit going from first to second as well, but that was more audible than physical (the Dakota had "two" second gears--the computer chose the "appropriate" one to use depending on conditions, etc.). Although I never had too many tranny problems with my Dakota, Dodges (esp. the new-style Rams and Dakotas) have been notorious for tranny problems. My boss used to have a Ram 1500 that went through three transmissions in one year. That's a problem!

Not useful input for this ROC thread, perhaps, but just an observation.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts