Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one ever replaced the drive shaft on their G1 Ridgeline? Shop is recommending it to solve below issue.
I have a weird clunk when I softly press gas pedal or when I am on freeway and want to downshift to go around some one. Everything in cabin shake.
Parts replace so far:
All 5 mounts
Timing belt kit
Right Axel
Valave adjustment
Spark plugs
All fluids changed everything 30k. Odo reads 116k at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,472 Posts
You might search for drive shaft here. There have been a few threads about replacing the drive shaft. I believe there's a center bearing that can wear and induce wobble.

You could certainly remove the drive shaft (and have a FWD only Ridgeline) for testing purposes and see if that resolves the issue. I think that would be my first thing to test.

Reactions: 48218

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,472 Posts
Was that right axle a original HONDA replacement..or aftermarket? Is the shaking in the steering wheel as well?
Good point. I overlooked the axle replacement.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked the Axel. It Honda part. Also this same problem has been going on since 40k mile. The there is no vibration in steering wheel. The clunk make the whole engine area moves. Also when you softly press on gas and load the engine without make it change gear. The vibration comes from under the seat. Reminds me of old-school British Leyland buses and early 90s 4x4 my parents generation use to drive.

I have changed the mounts and drive Axel based on mechanic recommendations. But since day one I have been arguing with Honda and outside shops that its an issue with either torque converter, transfer case, u joints(Honda has weird ones) or may be rear diff.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,891 Posts
I have a weird clunk when I softly press gas pedal or when I am on freeway and want to downshift to go around some one. Everything in cabin shake.
That weird clunk it before the downshift, or during the downshift?
When you are at 60mph, hit the D3 button on the shifter lever, do you feel any clunk? If no, once you do that and the transmission downshifts and then you tap the gas, does the clunk happen?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys I found this post "Shaking when accelerating" seems like this man went through same issue I have.

I have stupidly replied with all the knowledge I have on this, without reading all the way and seeing that he already have figured out the issue 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️😭😭

Tej

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That weird clunk it before the downshift, or during the downshift?
When you are at 60mph, hit the D3 button on the shifter lever, do you feel any clunk? If no, once you do that and the transmission downshifts and then you tap the gas, does the clunk happen?
If you have Ridden motorcycles, this is would feel similar to a loose chain and sprocket. No need to downshift to feel the clunk. You can put it in D1, 2, 3 or 5 and when you press pass. It takes few milliseconds to response and then comes the clunk and it goes fine after that.

Is there any engine mount sensors on this vehicle that stiffens and losens the mounts under load?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went ahead replaced all 5 power train mounts, front axels nothing changed. I took it to a shop for inspection and they believe it's a frozen U joint have to replace the whole shaft. I also read about another individual tearing apart the drive shaft to fix this and end up trading it in. So I am going to keep it as is. No more money spending untill it completely broken. It's 4 wheel and rear wheel drive wear tear issue. I have started to notice similar drive shaft noise on my landrover. Guess old will always feel loose and clunky. I am hitting 120k and it's still driving. Good enough for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.