Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sport
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been abusing the Ridgeline in the mud these past couple of weeks and thought I'd better have a good look at the undercarriage and chip the dried mud out of the frame and suspension. While underneath (as far as I could get), I noticed a barrel type strap around the drive shaft that I hadn't noticed before. What seemed odd was that it was angled and not perpendicular to the shaft. Had I bent it?. I took a pic to post here but the dealer is at the end of the road so it was quicker to talk to him and he reassured me it was perfectly normal. He then asked me about my Softopper and I ended up never asking him what the strap was for. I would assume a support for the drive shaft during removal but I'm not sure.

Anyway, if you haven't noticed it before; angled is normal - whatever it's for.
IMG_2499.JPG

·
Registered
43 Posts
OK. I have a new 2020 and I have not looked underneath yet it but what you posted was good to know, thanks.
I can tell you that all my Drag race cars were required to have a drive shaft loop such as in your pic.
The required loop was to prevent a broken shaft from causing more damage at speed and also protect the other car and fans.
So I am sure it is there as a safety requirement.
I am sure some Honda wonk will chime in soon.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I think it's probably as RT66 has said... safety in case it comes disconnected at either end. I'm personally inclined to remove it. As far as I'm concerned it's just something to get caught up in sticks and junk off road.

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
560 Posts
If the driveshaft yoke/u-joint breaks at the front....it keeps you from being pole vaulted into never never land... when the front digs into the ground.

DO NOT REMOVE IT.

Mine has been mangled multiple times and just bent back.
Many years ago I saw a picture in the newspaper of a cement truck laying on its side. It’s front u-joint broke and the drive shaft tipped the truck over when it caught on something.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
It’s been on G2’s since the beginning - see YouTube screen grab on a 2017 (and I’ve seen it on my 2017).

As @S.T.U.V. said, do NOT remove. It’s pole vault prevention if the shaft ever breaks from front.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts