Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago, after it had snowed like crazy, and was super cold in the mornings, my truck started doing something weird. It's only 2.5 years old. I had driven it through tons of snow, and there was a bunch of it everywhere on the undercarriage. In the morning, after having been parked outside my house for hours, when it's like 10 or 12 degrees outside, when I start driving it, I heard this thumping that sounds roughly like someone is under the floorboard on the passenger side knocking on the panel from underneath with his knuckle, much like I would imagine it sounding if you knocked just like you would on someone's front door. Imagine knocking medium hard on someone's front door with the first knuckle of your index finger, but you're knocking on the underneath, passenger floorboard of my truck. Anyway, the frequency of the knocking increases with vehicle speed (not engine speed, as I slipped it into neutral with no change in the sound). The frequency of the tapping is around 4/second at 10mph, 8/second at 20mph, etc. When I'm going around 30-40 mph, if I make a sharp turn to the left (body leaning to the right), the sound gets louder. If I make a sharp turn to the right (body leaning to the left) at the same speed, the noise gets quieter. After about 5-10 miles of driving, the noise went away. Then, when the car sat in the super cold for a few more hours, the noise came back identically. One day, it made it in the morning, when it had been 13 degrees out, but later, when it warmed up to perhaps 29 degrees, it didn't make the noise anymore. So it makes the noise after sitting in 10-14 degree weather, and it goes away after 5-10 miles of driving or if it warms up to maybe 29 degrees or higher.

So I took it to the dealer, and this guy said there was snow on the lower control arm on the passenger side against which the drive shaft (I assume he meant half shaft) was rubbing. This made no sense to me, since the half shafts have no axial asymmetries to make a repetitive noise like that. AND the frequency of the thumping is much faster than the rotation of a wheel, and thus, the associated drive shaft. The frequency is almost what I'd expect from the drive shaft going to the REAR of the truck. The morning after the guy said the thing about the snow and that he'd cleared it off, it made the same noise again. They said if it didn't make it while I was at the dealer, they couldn't do anything about it. I actually got under the FRONT of the trcuk to see, and there's NOTHING that would be rubbed by ANYthing.

I did not, however, check out the driveshaft going to the rear, which I should have.

Now that it's warmer out, it of course is not making the noise.

Part of me is freaked out that it may be wearing something out prematurely (even if it doesn't wear out before the 8-year mark). The dealer says if it's real, it'll get worse.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yup, mine did the same thing the other day, I could see a chunk of ice around the drive shaft, by the end of the day it was gone, melted, but you could see where it was rubbing on the shaft just ahead of the center carrier bearing, where it's close to the floor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2007 RTL 70k miles. March 22 2010 big wet blizzard N.E. Wisconsin. Tons of snow and ice. This morning 3/25 its 13 degrees. Had the same clunking you describe. Exactly. I was freaking out until I read this. Sounded like someone threw a handfull of rocks in the transmission. Very relieved to read this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts