Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We love our new RTL-E DSP! I need a little help. We have been able to set our seat positions and mirror positions, but would like to do more with the Driver 1 and Driver two key fob memories. There was a press kit flyer posted here in the ROC listing features, but I haven't found how to set some of the features listed, like Climate and Radio, etc. The manual search didn't find what I needed and I suspect its something I have over looked. Thanks for helping me unleash the power of this great new Ridgeline! Please move to proper thread if needed Mod.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I don't see anything in the 2018 manual that indicates that any other features can be programmed into the fob other than driver seat position and outside mirrors. There are voice commands that can control climate and radio, etc. Maybe that is what you read???

·
Super Moderator
12,565 Posts
From the press release:

"Driver Preferences
The Ridgeline RTL-E and Black Edition models come with two keyless remotes with unique identifiers. Each remote can be set with unique profiles to accommodate the individual preferences of two different drivers. The available preferences include driver seat and mirror positions, door lock and unlock, along with select HVAC functions. Other preferences include turning entry lights on or off, audio system pre-sets, air conditioning preferences, and navigation system settings. In the event both owners use the vehicle at the same time, the Ridgeline will recognize the keyless remote that approaches the driver's door first."

Basically, the vehicle will remember the settings based on the remote that approached the driver's door first.

Example:

Driver 1 gets in the vehicle, moves the seat/mirrors, and stores those positions in memory button 1. Then, driver 1 changes the radio presets and temperature.

Driver 2 gets in the vehicle, moves the seat/mirrors, and stores those positions in memory button 2. Then, driver 2 changes the radio presets and temperature.

When driver 1 gets back in the vehicle, the seats, mirrors, presets, temperature, and a few other settings will change back to the settings last used by driver 1.

When driver 2 gets back in the vehicle, the seats, mirrors, presets, temperature, and a few other settings will change back to the settings last used by driver 2.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From the press release:

"Driver Preferences
The Ridgeline RTL-E and Black Edition models come with two keyless remotes with unique identifiers. Each remote can be set with unique profiles to accommodate the individual preferences of two different drivers. The available preferences include driver seat and mirror positions, door lock and unlock, along with select HVAC functions. Other preferences include turning entry lights on or off, audio system pre-sets, air conditioning preferences, and navigation system settings. In the event both owners use the vehicle at the same time, the Ridgeline will recognize the keyless remote that approaches the driver's door first."

Basically, the vehicle will remember the settings based on the remote that approached the driver's door first.

Example:

Driver 1 gets in the vehicle, moves the seat/mirrors, and stores those positions in memory button 1. Then, driver 1 changes the radio presets and temperature.

Driver 2 gets in the vehicle, moves the seat/mirrors, and stores those positions in memory button 2. Then, driver 2 changes the radio presets and temperature.

When driver 1 gets back in the vehicle, the seats, mirrors, presets, temperature, and a few other settings will change back to the settings last used by driver 1.

When driver 2 gets back in the vehicle, the seats, mirrors, presets, temperature, and a few other settings will change back to the settings last used by driver 2.

Is this "set" or entered or fully automatic and I am not noticing it happening?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Is this "set" or entered or fully automatic and I am not noticing it happening?

Once again zroger73 has all the answers - it does work as advertised. In over a year I had no reason to program my No. 2 key fob since my wife will not drive my G2 even if H e l l does freeze over. Just programmed No. 2 fob to experiment with this feature and it works. After setting seat position and outside mirrors and pressing Set on the door panel I changed temperature settings, mode, etc., door unlock operation, radio source, for Fob No. 2 and as long as Fob No. 2 was detected first her settings prevailed. I did not need to do anything additional for the changes to be set for No. 2. Put No. 2 fob out of range and in its Faraday cage and approached the truck with my No. 1 Fob and my totally different settings prevailed. Since day one I have told friends this truck is better than my BMW 528xi in many ways even though the BMW did do all the personal settings I now have discovered the Honda does. It just keeps getting mo better! :laugh:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Zroger! Since wife has only driven DSP for one day, that helps clarify!

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
My wife has a 2017 Accord V6 Touring and it does the same thing. Drove me crazy at first because I thought I set it up the way she wanted the doors to lock, unlock etc. And it always worked fine when I drove it. Duh...I had to use her FOB and set it up, then all was fine. My RTL-E works the same way...

·
Registered
287 Posts
I don't know about you but I believe that once in a while the memory changes on me. Either the seats have moved too far back or my side mirrors have moved. Every now and then a reconfiguration is needed.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I didn't realize I have to keep straight which key fob I've got. More complications, and more to learn.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I didn't realize I have to keep straight which key fob I've got. More complications, and more to learn.
If you are the only driver, set them up the same and no problem. Otherwise, they are labeled on the back side, #1 and #2. I’ve got a short lanyard on mine, my wife does not.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I've set mine up so driver one is my day to day running around; driver two is my highway driving position... seat back a bit, reclined a bit. You don't have to have that fob with you to use the memory position. Just hit the '1' or '2' on the pad and you'll go to that position regardless of which fob you are carrying.

·
Registered
108 Posts
From the press release:

"Driver Preferences

Example:

So I'm having a little trouble setting this up on my '19 RTL-E. I had everything set up the way I liked it, and saved the memory seat function on the door to Driver #1 (and I checked I am using fob #1). Then we put fob #1 out of range. Wife gets in with fob #2, sets everything the way she wants it, presses Mem 2, and leaves. The next time I get in the truck by myself with fob #1 (no fob #2 anywhere in sight), the seats go back to the Mem #1 position as expected, but everything else was still set as she had it with fob #2. I had all of her audio presets, HVAC settings, etc, but my seat positions.

My wife has a '17 Cherokee and similar things can happen if you make changes and don't lock the vehicle with the associated fob to "set" the changes. Otherwise the system will revert back to the last saved settings for the other fob. The seats always go correctly but the other stuff doesn't. Do you have to do the same thing with the RL (i.e. press "lock" from the corresponding fob to save the settings (other than the seat/mirror memory which is done from the door memory buttons)? It seems like several have made this work without any other action taken, but I'm wondering if they just locked it as a matter of being finished and leaving the truck and that saved it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
So the Driver 1/Driver 2 preferences are still not working 100% correctly for me. I've saved all my preferences as Driver 1 using the "1" key fob. My wife is Driver 2 with the "2" key fob and set all of her settings. Everything works as described *except* the audio presets. When she gets into the truck as Driver 2, her seats/mirrors/HVAC/door locks/lighting settings all revert to her saved settings. However, she has *my* (Driver #1) audio presets for FM/AM/SirusXM. If she then goes and resets them to her liking, even if she gets out and locks the truck and I come and unlock the truck with my driver #1 fob, all of the seats/mirrors/HVAC/door locks/lighting revert to my preferences--except the audio presets. I now have hers and have to redo everything.

Has anyone else had this trouble with the audio presets, and any suggestions for what else I can try? I've used the set 1/2 on the door, I've used the lock on the fob to "lock" the settings with the driver preference, but it doesn't make a difference. The audio presets will not save with the driver preferences.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sadly, not everything will be remembered by driver preference (such as audio settings) The vehicle will remember what radio station driver one was listening to vs driver two, the catch is, the individual driver getting in has to be unlocking a locked vehicle for it to do that. if the car is unlocked (say in a garage) and driver one was the one who last drove it, when driver two gets in later and starts the car, even if they press their driver 2 button to adjust the seats, as far as the RL head unit is concerned, it is still driver 1 that last unlocked the vehicle. I know, dumb, but it is what it is.

I decided since there is a little confusion that I would make a quick video while I am at work explaining how to set everything up and how to use the feature properly.

https://vimeo.com/301678025

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Sadly, not everything will be remembered by driver preference (such as audio settings) The vehicle will remember what radio station driver one was listening to vs driver two, the catch is, the individual driver getting in has to be unlocking a locked vehicle for it to do that. if the car is unlocked (say in a garage) and driver one was the one who last drove it, when driver two gets in later and starts the car, even if they press their driver 2 button to adjust the seats, as far as the RL head unit is concerned, it is still driver 1 that last unlocked the vehicle. I know, dumb, but it is what it is.

I decided since there is a little confusion that I would make a quick video while I am at work explaining how to set everything up and how to use the feature properly.

Thanks for the video and explanation about these features! I have a new 2019 RTL-E and still learning so this came in very handy for me. This forum is great as there is so much help available to everyone. I seem to learn something new every day ;-)

·
Registered
108 Posts

Thanks for the video! So I guess my confusion is only with the audio presets--you say it remembers the last radio station the other driver was listening to. I was under the impression that you could save FM/AM/SiriusXM presets for each driver and they would change when that fob unlocked the car for that driver. You're saying only the last radio station is remembered and presented. Is this correct? If so, I guess I was using the thinking from my wife's Jeep Cherokee, which does the climate/door/lighting/keyless settings like the RL, but ALSO allows for all of the presets to be different for each driver. This seems so easy to do, I have to say I'll be disappointed if it can't do it (and so far it looks like it can't).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for the video! So I guess my confusion is only with the audio presets--you say it remembers the last radio station the other driver was listening to. I was under the impression that you could save FM/AM/SiriusXM presets for each driver and they would change when that fob unlocked the car for that driver. You're saying only the last radio station is remembered and presented. Is this correct? If so, I guess I was using the thinking from my wife's Jeep Cherokee, which does the climate/door/lighting/keyless settings like the RL, but ALSO allows for all of the presets to be different for each driver. This seems so easy to do, I have to say I'll be disappointed if it can't do it (and so far it looks like it can't).
Correct. I wish you could do that on Honda vehicles, but they reserve a similar feature for the Acura lineup. It makes sense for Jeep since they don't have a separate Halo/Luxury line...with Honda they make you move up a level of vehicle to offer a similar feature. Probably why I get a certain amount of cross shopping of MDX with Jeep Grand Cherokee.

·
Super Moderator
12,565 Posts
My 2017 RTL-E stored and recalled audio presets (not just the current station) with the Driver 1 and Driver 2 remotes. I know this because right after I bought it the SXM presets, HVAC settings, seat/mirror positions, and various other settings such as door locking and lighting preferences kept reverting back to how they were before I set everything. I would have sworn someone was breaking into my garage at night and changing the presets. It took a few days to realize I originally had the Driver 2 remote on me when I set everything then started using the Driver 1 remote the next morning.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My 2017 RTL-E stored and recalled audio presets (not just the current station) with the Driver 1 and Driver 2 remotes. I know this because right after I bought it the SXM presets, HVAC settings, seat/mirror positions, and various other settings such as door locking and lighting preferences kept reverting back to how they were before I set everything. I would have sworn someone was breaking into my garage at night and changing the presets. It took a few days to realize I originally had the Driver 2 remote on me when I set everything then started using the Driver 1 remote the next morning.
I will have to go try again on Friday when I am back at work. (yay three days off for Thanksgiving!...rare in the car industry) I will set some presets for driver one on the radio and then go get the driver 2 key and double check..I will be very happy to be wrong in this situation.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts