Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Much to my surprise, I couldn't open my driver's side door from the inside when I got home this afternoon. I heard something click or snap when I pulled the small handle to open it and it was over. It's still got the spring action, but whatever releases the latch is out of commision. I was able to roll the window down and open the door from the outside. Strange. Anyone else had this happen?
By the way, I baby this thing, and I'm the only one who drives it. I never use the small handle to close the door since I've got that massive silver one to work with :)
Anyway, in to the dealer for the first time since purchase tomorrow. Somehow it just seems a little too high up to be doing a NASCAR "through the window" exit each time! I've got the creaky steering wheel too, so we'll get it all taken care of.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
That's one I haven't heard of before. Let us know if your dealer finds out what failed. I hope you don't have to surrender your ride for long to get it fixed. Ours is going in for an oil change in the morning and I hate to have it away even that long.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know! Just dropped it off for service and really hated to drive away and leave my truck. I think I'm going nuts! Either that, or I've never had a vehicle before that I truly enjoy so much every morning when I get in for my ride to work. Yea, that must be it :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sometimes mine sticks and seems like its not going to release the latch before I run out of handle to pull. What drives me crazy is sometimes it works just fine. :confused:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got my baby back!
The door handle problem was caused by a plastic clip that holds some linkage together. All the parts were right there when they opened it up. They put a new clip on just for good measure. Said it was probably just not pushed completely on at the factory. Not likely to happen again.
It's great to have the "creaky steering wheel" fixed too. The service guy hadn't seen the problem on any others, so it really helped when I handed him the TSB from a link I found on the ROC. Thanks again ROC family!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oridgenL said:
Sometimes mine sticks and seems like its not going to release the latch before I run out of handle to pull. What drives me crazy is sometimes it works just fine. :confused:
That's exactly what mine was doing before it quit completely.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It happened again!. Got my RL back Friday afternoon and drove it maybe 3 times on the weekend. Sunday afternoon the same click or snap happened when I lifted the door handle, and it's broke again. :mad: Again, I was being gentle with the handle since I'd just gotten it repaired on Friday. Shoot, I've never had to even think about a car/truck door handle, much less be extra gentle with it. Nonetheless, I was going easy on it. So, back to the dealer. They gave me a loaner car, and called a couple hours later to tell me they are ordering a complete new mechanism for the door. I should get her back tomorrow. Got a Pontiac Grand Am as the loaner/rental; ok, but sure not as nice as my RL!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got 'er back again and I think it's really fixed this time. They replaced the entire door handle assembly inside the door. They found a bent piece of aluminum on the part under the outside handle which was allowing the other end of the cable to slip out of place when I tried to open from the inside. I asked how such a thing could happen when I've been so careful with this truck. Apparently it could've come from rough handling during delivery or even a bent part at the factory. I opened the door about 30 times there in the lot (which sure generates some funny looks from passersby!) and it worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just happened to me. Just another long list of things wrong with my Ridgeline. I guess I'll call the dealer and tell them what they have to do since it always takes them at least three or four days to find a problem when I know more than they do.

Mark

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
MarkCobra said:
Just happened to me. Just another long list of things wrong with my Ridgeline. I guess I'll call the dealer and tell them what they have to do since it always takes them at least three or four days to find a problem when I know more than they do.

Mark
Isn't that one of the great things about this forum? We all become better and more powerful consumers by sharing our experiences. I hope your problem is resolved quickly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well took matters into my own hands and took apart the door handle. The plastic clip must of fallen between the panels so I didn't know what it looked like so I took off the passenger side handle to see what I was after. I called local dealer 5 minutes away, they have service hours until 6pm on saturdays and they hooked me up with a new clip. It wasn't one for the Ridgeline but it works. I put the handles back no problem and everything is good...for now.

Mark

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
MarkCobra said:
Well took matters into my own hands and took apart the door handle. The plastic clip must of fallen between the panels so I didn't know what it looked like so I took off the passenger side handle to see what I was after. I called local dealer 5 minutes away, they have service hours until 6pm on saturdays and they hooked me up with a new clip. It wasn't one for the Ridgeline but it works. I put the handles back no problem and everything is good...for now.

Mark
Glad you got everything back together. I hope this doesn't happen to my Ridgeline. Although so far the only issue I have had is the steering wheel issue and even that is very minor and only happens when I am driving a little tired which is a good indication that I need to get off the road. So I will likely leave it.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hiya Everyone
I leased my green Ridgeline RTS in August I love it havent had any problem to speak of thank god. I love it I think its an awsome vehicle. I have one question though my kid was sitting in her car seat and knocked of the little clip that controls the direction for the vents in the rear where can i get that replacement clip and the peice that attaches it to the vent grate. By the way my name is Andy i am 28 from New York City.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Happylloyd said:
Hiya Everyone
I leased my green Ridgeline RTS in August I love it havent had any problem to speak of thank god. I love it I think its an awsome vehicle. I have one question though my kid was sitting in her car seat and knocked of the little clip that controls the direction for the vents in the rear where can i get that replacement clip and the peice that attaches it to the vent grate. By the way my name is Andy i am 28 from New York City.
Welcome on board Andy - post over in the first post here thread so everyone can greet you, and also, you will find people really like pictures ;-).

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Happylloyd said:

Hiya Everyone
It probably just came apart and can be put back together. Take it to the dealer and let them fix it under warranty. There's a thread here somewhere that describes how to put it back together if you want to try it yourself. Just do a search and you should be able to find it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts