Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just bought my used 2007 w 96,000miles. It was safetied less than a week ago, but I'm getting a big bad clunking sound if I go over manhole covers or other jarring bumps - drivers side front only, if it's a gradual type of bump like a smooth speed bump it won't clunk.

Am I right at assume/hope for front sway bar (stabilizer bar) bushings? I snapped some pics but it looks fine, is it possibly still culprit in spite of good looks?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Stab bushing looks fine. I'd suspect the strut bearing. You should be able to replicate by getting someone to rock the front end.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,579 Posts
Check the front stab links. They are (in)famous for breaking.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
first, check the stabilizer links, I replaced all 4 of mine as they broke, if they are ok check the outer ball joint, I just replaced my passenger side, they are difficult to see if they are bad, I had two different shops tell me they were fine, until one mechanic heard the noise for himself, put the truck up on the lift again, inserted a prybar in the knuckle area and found that the ball joint was bad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses guys. So I got the full service history since posting and it had the front stabilizers and bushings done in 2013 when the prev owner complained of front end noise. Had the rear stabilizers replaced when safetied a week ago to. I noticed my battery bracket is completely loose and he has duct tape holding it on the battery - now I'm wondering if it's the battery jumping up and down on that side - will have to tighten that up and see...

Hopefully I'm that lucky lol

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,579 Posts
Another famous clunk comes from the windshield washer reservoir if the clip is missing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another famous clunk comes from the windshield washer reservoir if the clip is missing.

Mine is gone but someone has glued foam onto the neck where it would hit, not the most glamorous of fixes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Soooo.

Remember this is a truck that was just safetied at a Honda dealer.... my independent shop found that it was missing a caliper bolt on the front left, the sound was the caliper hitting the rim - scary, I assume the dealer took off the caliper to check it pads and didn't replace or didn't retorque properly. $16.50 for a caliper bolt and I'm back to solid/noise free driving.

Love this truck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts