Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched the forum but can't find this particular issue anywhere. When I pull the seatbelt out to put it on, there is a horrendous squeak that actually hurts my ears! I can avoid the noise by pulling the belt out slowly, but I'm usually in too big of a rush. Once I have the belt on there are no issues. The seat belts have a lifetime warranty, but I doubt Honda would replace it just because of a squeak.
I know I can't just squirt WD 40 on it, but does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

2006 RTL, Red Rock Pearl 120,000 with no major problems - ever!

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
The seat belts are covered by a lifetime warranty from Honda. Take it by the dealer.

From what I recall from when I was in that area, the seatbelt mechanism is pretty much sealed. You might be lucky and see an exposed bearing for the reel -- dunno.

If you do decide to attempt this, you should be aware that the mechanism contains an explosive charge (like an airbag), so you'll want to disconnect the battery and wait 30 minutes first. Don't reconnect the battery until you're done, because if you do while the connectors are off the reel (yellow connector body), you'll set an SRS code that only the dealer can reset.

The charge is the pre-tensioner that snugs the belt up when you're in a frontal accident.

Chip H.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, Chip - you've scared me enough! :)
I never considered there'd be a charge in the seat belt mechanism.
I'm not going to touch it! Price Honda here I come...
Thanks for the information.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
OK, Chip - you've scared me enough! :)
I never considered there'd be a charge in the seat belt mechanism.
I'm not going to touch it! Price Honda here I come...
Thanks for the information.
Just as big as the potential danger of it going 'off' is the risk it will not go 'off' when it should after reassembly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2010 had a squeal in d/s belt when pulling out to buckle up - even if driving and moved in the seat - I removed the cover along the inner door post - Just snaps apart - just enough to get a look inside. The belt runs over a grooved pin - I used some silicone spray which is inert and won't damage the fabric and sprayed the surface of the belt which runs over top of the pin. Quiet now. May have to do it again but easy fix.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts