Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone here ever replaced the actual seat cushion on the drivers side before? I searched on the club here but no results. If this has been covered already, could someone refer the link please?

My 06 RTL's comfort has diminished over time so I'm thinking of doing this. The leather is still in good shape but the cushion is in need of replacement.

The part that concerns me is removing the seat cover and putting it back on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Well, I'm new to the Ridgeline but I have done some work to the seats in other vehicles. It's not really all that hard to work on them. There are usually a series plastic clips and "hog rings" that hold the cover to the framework. There is usually a fair bit of work involved in getting the actual seat cushion out. Lots of electrical, molding, etc to remove but no real "have to have" special tools. Also, if your seats have the heater (do all Rl's?) then the heating elements are probably part of the padding and may be more complicated to restore - short of replacement that is. Non heated seats are usually not too hard to add some padding to in order to improve/restore their feel.
Sorry I don't have more specific info about the Rl's seats but, if you are a diy kind of guy, then it shouldn't take all that long to get the seat out, get the cover off and see what would be needed to get the seat more to your liking.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm looking to replace mine as well. Check out http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com where you can find "front seats" and an exploded parts list. The heater looks like it's separate from the pad and cover, #11 and 12, but they might be glued together. You can get some idea of how the base disassembles too. I'll check with a local auto upholsterer and multiply their hour estimate by three to find out how long it will take me! May have them do it.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Has anyone here ever replaced the actual seat cushion on the drivers side before? I searched on the club here but no results. If this has been covered already, could someone refer the link please?

My 06 RTL's comfort has diminished over time so I'm thinking of doing this. The leather is still in good shape but the cushion is in need of replacement.

The part that concerns me is removing the seat cover and putting it back on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Dealer ordered foam and sent mine to the upholstery shop a few years ago for replacement. Orig leather cover has held up well since.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My 2007 models driver's seat cushion has crumbled and falls on the floor. My butt is too wide, or the seat too narrow or crowned? It's only on the LHS of the seat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased an 08 RTS 6 months ago. The driver's seat bottom cushion needed to be replaced. I did some research and this is what I found out: 06-08 driver's seat bottom cushion part # is 81527-SJC-A31 and Honda wants about $375 for it. The 09-14 driver's seat cushion part # is 81527-SJC-L31 and Honda wants about $125 for it. I asked if there was any difference and they said based on my VIN # the 09-14 cushion wouldn't work. I looked at the driver's seat in an 09, measured it and compared it with my 08 seat. I couldn't tell the difference. I decided to replace the cloth seat covers with leather and wanted to replace the driver's bottom seat cushion. I took a chance and bought the 81527-SJC-L31 cushion. When they took the seat apart and compared my existing 08 cushion with the replacement 09 cushion, the guy said there was NO DIFFERENCE between the 2 cushions. They installed it and seats look great. I saved $250.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I purchased an 08 RTS 6 months ago. The driver's seat bottom cushion needed to be replaced. I did some research and this is what I found out: 06-08 driver's seat bottom cushion part # is 81527-SJC-A31 and Honda wants about $375 for it. The 09-14 driver's seat cushion part # is 81527-SJC-L31 and Honda wants about $125 for it. I asked if there was any difference and they said based on my VIN # the 09-14 cushion wouldn't work. I looked at the driver's seat in an 09, measured it and compared it with my 08 seat. I couldn't tell the difference. I decided to replace the cloth seat covers with leather and wanted to replace the driver's bottom seat cushion. I took a chance and bought the 81527-SJC-L31 cushion. When they took the seat apart and compared my existing 08 cushion with the replacement 09 cushion, the guy said there was NO DIFFERENCE between the 2 cushions. They installed it and seats look great. I saved $250.
I'm so glad you discovered this. I have an 08 too, and my seat is getting pretty bad.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I know it's been almost a year but I'm curious hoe the 09 seat is holding up. I'm in the process of fixing this issue in my 2007.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I know an old thread but I am interested as well. My '07 front seat cushions are breaking down and soon the leather will start cracking. I only need the bottom cushions and probably the covers as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I replaced the drivers side, bottom cushion on my 08 ridgeline. Its not too hard, but is time consuming. The cushions for 06-08 are really expensive, but the cushion for 09-14 are significantly less expensive. They have different part numbers, but are identical. I cant remember which honda parts web site I bought it from, it was just which ever one was cheapest. The main advice I have is if you do it yourself, get a tool to install the metal rings that hold the seat cover to the cushion. I used needle nose pliers, they worked, but it was extremely tedious. Well worth the effort though!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
I replaced the drivers side, bottom cushion on my 08 ridgeline. Its not too hard, but is time consuming. The cushions for 06-08 are really expensive, but the cushion for 09-14 are significantly less expensive. They have different part numbers, but are identical. I cant remember which honda parts web site I bought it from, it was just which ever one was cheapest. The main advice I have is if you do it yourself, get a tool to install the metal rings that hold the seat cover to the cushion. I used needle nose pliers, they worked, but it was extremely tedious. Well worth the effort though!

Thank for the information. I’ll be replacing my driver side seat cushion this month.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I did my 08 a while ago with a new cushion and cloth seating surface, just the bottom portion. Expensive parts but I did it myself. Get the $20 hog pliers, and the rest is straight forward once you take the seat out of the truck. Well worth it.

·
Registered
8 Posts

How did the heated seat pad come into play here? Isn't there also a weight sensor in the seat? Perhaps that is under the foam. I'm in need of a new seat foam and bottom cover for my 06 RTL.

Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I changed the cushion on the drivers side in my truck. I don't think there is a weight sensor for that seat, at least I didn't notice one. As far as the seat heater is concerned, it is glued directly to the foam cushion. All I did was carefully remove it from the old cushion and glue it on the new one with spray contact cement. It was probably the easiest part of the project. The heating element is surprisingly simple, it is just a cloth piece with a thin wire woven through it. It pulled off really cleanly on mine. Also pay attention how all the wires for the seat are routed, I wish I took a picture before putting it back together. The seats in the ridgeline have ALOT going on in them with the power stuff and the airbags, nothing to worry about, but if I were to do it over again it is something I would do. I bet the passenger side is a little simpler since it doesn't have the power adjustments (as far as wiring that is).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know an old thread but I am interested as well. My '07 front seat cushions are breaking down and soon the leather will start cracking. I only need the bottom cushions and probably the covers as well.
This may be too old but just purchased an 07 and the seat was pretty worn down. After seeing the astronomical price for a seat cushion I called an upholstery shop. 75 bucks later pretty good seat. Time will tell. But worth a shot. My old dodge was $60 for the pad and easy to replace. Honda is crazy!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Reviving old thread here, too. I don't know where people are getting these prices. Maybe time has caught up with the 1G parts. But there isn't much of a price difference in a 2006-2008 driver seat cushion and the 09-14. Still several hundred dollars either way. Anyone have a link to a cheaper one or maybe an alternative solution? Its getting to the point where it hurts my back driving extended periods of time. And I'm only like 175 lbs.

Wondering if a 2017-2020 cushion might be able to fit somehow. Those can be had for like $40-60.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts