Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since purchase I have limited my econ mode driving to highway driving only. There appears to be a significant increase in fuel economy versus regular mode. I know and have read all the stuff on VCS and don't want this thread to beat that dead horse anymore. I did read most of the owner manual. This last tank of gas I put in I have kept it in econ mode so far. Is it safe to drive all the time in econ mode? I know the performance or lack of is apparent. I am averaging 23mpg on the display for 100% city driving. Just don't want to do anything to hurt the engine or transmission being in econ mode all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
My RL has been in Econ mode since the day i picked it up, which is about a month and a half ago. I'm sure that if it was bad to drive around with it on, they wouldent have put it there in the first place.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Re: Driving in econ mode.

You're fine. Econ mode just remaps the throttle (and cuts back on AC) so that you have to push the pedal further to get the same power if Econ mode were not on. It basically makes the driver more conservative.

·
Registered
387 Posts

I drove in Econ mode for the first couple weeks I had mine until a really hot day made me turn it off (AC couldn't keep up). Once I felt the difference in throttle I can't make myself go back as it feels sluggish though it felt fine before I knew the difference.

·
Registered
123 Posts

Have not driven mine much at all in ECON due to the air conditioning need in this hot summer. Going on a trip Monday however and will give it a try as it is supposed to be a little cooler weather finally. I am very pleased with highway mpg so far but city driving is only so-so.

·
Registered
98 Posts

Drove it in econ mode for the first (and last time) yesterday.

Whatever amount of money I may save from driving in econ mode, can't be justified by how sluggish the car feels.

·
Registered
141 Posts

Since purchase I have limited my econ mode driving to highway driving only. There appears to be a significant increase in fuel economy versus regular mode. I know and have read all the stuff on VCS and don't want this thread to beat that dead horse anymore. I did read most of the owner manual. This last tank of gas I put in I have kept it in econ mode so far. Is it safe to drive all the time in econ mode? I know the performance or lack of is apparent. I am averaging 23mpg on the display for 100% city driving. Just don't want to do anything to hurt the engine or transmission being in econ mode all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Econ mode doesn't work well with the cruise control in hilly country. Just a little too laggy to do a smooth speed transition. Some folks blame that on the VCM but that's not true. You can test this by using Econ mode off and cruise control off. Smooth.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts

It's just throttle mapping. That's all Eco is. same hp/tq, you just have to mash the pedal harder than you would with it turned off.

Make sure once a week or every other week you stomp on it, like say a freeway on ramp. It's good to rev the motor through the gesrs once in a while.

·
Registered
46 Posts
econ mode. NOT SO ECONOMICAL

Because the upshifts are so reluctant, I found that driving on the country secondary roads and around curves
actually resulted in LOWER gas milage using the econ mode.

I also find that a much more educated foot is necessary to get the thing to downshift without becoming
aggressive when doing so. The regular mode allows for much more easily induced and less
exaggerated downshifts in regular and relaxed driving than the econ.

I haven't used econ on the highway, but have found that on 55 mph highway, I can easily get 30 + mpg
[INDICATED] and on 65-70 mph highway, I easily get 28 + mph [INDICATED].

I recommend some experimentation before settling on econ.

Mike

·
Registered
50 Posts

As I understand it, VCM and Econ Mode are not one and the same--they are basically independent of each other.

As others have commented, Econ Mode does things such as slow the throttle response and reduce the A/C.

While the Econ Mode is sluggish, I find it to be effective in maximizing gas mileage. Since my driving often involves distances on highways, I don´t need quick response most of the time and, that being the case, I will use Econ Mode. I had a recent trip which involved 440 miles. Speed limits, which I mostly observe, ranged from 60 to 75. Terrain was 30% hilly and 70% relatively flat. I used Econ Mode for the entire trip. The Ridgeline´s computer indicated I averaged 29.8 MPG. My own calculations (tank fill / miles) were 28.4, which I thought was quite good.

Other times, I do want more responsiveness from the engine and I will turn Econ Mode off. I will have to do an MPG calculation to see how it compares to a similar drive with the Econ Mode on.

I only wish Honda had gone with the Econ Mode, but abandoned VCM.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I actually think the Econ does a better job of transitioning to the cruise control's set speed after slowing down, when on smooth and level roads. Don't have that sudden burst of acceleration.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts

I actually think the Econ does a better job of transitioning to the cruise control's set speed after slowing down, when on smooth and level roads. Don't have that sudden burst of acceleration.

I think the Econ mode was made for cruise control. I find in our Odyssey the cruise control gets extremely aggressive on modest Hills and shifts into passing gear way too often.

This is for long distance travels and will soon make it into every Honda I would imagine.

·
Administrator
16,062 Posts

Some facts worth repeating:

1. ECON mode does not directly alter the transmission shift points. If it seems like it does, it's because the vehicle's throttle is opening less relative to the travel of the accelerator pedal. The less the throttle is open, the sooner the transmission will upshift.

2. ECON mode does not make the powertrain more or less efficient! Instead, it encourages the driver to drive more efficiently by dampening throttle response in between idle and full throttle. NOTE: Pressing the accelerator pedal to the floor results in the same amount of throttle opening and acceleration regardless of the ECON mode setting.

3. ECON mode adjusts the HVAC system to allow for reduced fan speed, reduced compressor run time, and less tight temperature control.

4. ECON mode allows the cruise control to loose more speed when going uphill and reduces the rate of acceleration on resume.

5. ECON mode does not alter the function of VCM (Variable Cylinder Management).

6. A driver can accomplish exactly the same thing that ECON mode does by not pressing the accelerator pedal as far, not using the A/C as much, and not using the cruise control on hills.

7. ECON mode can be left on at all times or it can be switched on and off as frequently as desired at any time with no consequence.

Some opinions and observations:

I've noticed no measurable difference in fuel economy whether ECON mode is on or off.

I tend to accelerate, steer, and brake more gently and efficiently with ECON mode on due to the psychological effects, which makes for a smoother ride, more efficient driving, and better passenger comfort.

I normally drive with ECON mode on. Turning it off makes the throttle too touchy and encourages spirited driving, which is less efficient, less safe, less comfortable, and harder on the vehicle.

·
Registered
91 Posts

I don't use the econ mode. I really want to enjoy my ride. Plus, gas are not as expensive like before. Just have fun riding.

·
Registered
179 Posts

I really like this ECO Mode. Since I bought it I have kept it in ECO and now I actually like the smoothness of acceleration in ECO mode at-least I won't drive my vehicle rough and avoid speeding tickets

·
Registered
18 Posts

Sounds to me like Econ Mode can help save on insurance too: if you use one of the ODBII plug-ins from your insurance company, "less spirited" driving = insurance savings.

-- MM

·
Registered
2 Posts
Eco Mode - Fact, Fiction or Marketing

Hello
I am a potential buyer of a 2nd generation Ridgeline. Does anyone know what Eco button is supposed to do, or actually do in real life with their truck? Salesman says I should get 2-3 mpg better. Consumer reports says nothing.

Thanks
Ted

·
Registered
29 Posts
That seems like a reasonable estimate - although I am sure everyone's results will vary. We have it on our 2016 CR-V Touring and now the Ridgeline. With it engaged, it definitely results in tamer acceleration, which would presumably lead to improved gas mileage.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hello
I am a potential buyer of a 2nd generation Ridgeline. Does anyone know what Eco button is supposed to do, or actually do in real life with their truck? Salesman says I should get 2-3 mpg better. Consumer reports says nothing.

Thanks
Ted
I would not let this button influence your decision, positively, or negatively. Just ignore it, it's largely a marketing gimmick.

Yes, it does have a function (reduces electrical load, basically), but the results are pretty meaningless. Your driving style will impact your efficiency way more than any button. :wink:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts