Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to buy an RTL (next weeK) I have had the pleasure of an Exterra new in 2000 with an 8000 pound winich. I'm going to keep it for a while, till the ridgeline proves itself?, but have some concerns about the ridgelines ability to get off road driving done, mostly beach driving and some mud and trail riding at my place in maine. snow here in MA is also a concern.

If any of youm out there have real experience in these areas Iwould love to hear from you, thanks, Jay

L

·
0 Posts
lowrider90 said:
I'm about to buy an RTL (next weeK) I have had the pleasure of an Exterra new in 2000 with an 8000 pound winich. I'm going to keep it for a while, till the ridgeline proves itself?, but have some concerns about the ridgelines ability to get off road driving done, mostly beach driving and some mud and trail riding at my place in maine. snow here in MA is also a concern.

If any of youm out there have real experience in these areas Iwould love to hear from you, thanks, Jay
I can certainly speak for the snow.
I live in the snow belt in NE Ohio and we get burried in November and don't dig out until late March. Although I only had my Ridgeline for about 3 weeks of snow, we were hit hard and she proved herself over and over again. Driving up 77 from home to work everyday those few weeks passing all the SUV and P/U trucks in the middle of the freeway stuck in 2 feet of snow ( I am sure driving skills has MUCH to do with it ) gave me a great feeling that I did buy the right truck for me. I even drove through a Sams parking lot and hit the snow mound running and it was AWESOME!!! Hard as a rock snow. No problem.
I was able to test drive her on February 17th and gave her a work out. She passed with flying colors on ice, snow and I even threw her into a ditch and she pulled herself right out. ( do not try this at home. results of this test may not be typical ) :D
Can't help you with mud I don't like getting her dirty and I live 1.5 hours from sand. :)

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
ladyridge said:
I was able to test drive her on February 17th and gave her a work out. She passed with flying colors on ice, snow and I even threw her into a ditch and she pulled herself right out. ( do not try this at home. results of this test may not be typical ) :D
A wild woman, I say, a wild woman! ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I can't remember who posted it, but someone took their Ridgeline out in the sand and found that once they aired the tires down to (I think he said) 12lbs that she went right along with no problems.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I have done a ton of sand driving over the years and one would should let air out to 15-18 pounds , so that makes sense. he/she probably din't have to let the air out to that low, thanks, Jay

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
hey VaVet96, thanks that thread really put me at ease. I live on the beach "cape cod" for a long time and have been beach driving since i have been here. It's funny to here people not understanding the power of deflating tires for sand. it's rule No. 1. I had a 1971 CJ-5 with baloon tires never let out the air and never used 4 wheel drive. the tires were so soft and wide the jeep just floated over the sand. I will not sell my exterra, i have it set up nice. ARB bull bar/sway away tortion bars/ warn 8000 winch/ warn manual hubs and other stuff. I will use that for the serious stuff now. In the end I am getting excited to close on the new RTL tuesday thanks in part to you sand experience and ladyridges snow experience.

Anyone been in muddy or trail situation?

Thanks alot, Jay

·
Registered
224 Posts
Glad I could help Lowrider. Like I was telling a friend yesterday, the mild off-road capability of the RL was a real bonus as far as I was concerned. I mainly bought it for all it's other fine features, especially the ride and safety aspects. Getting out on the beach gave my family some wonderful memories though. You'll have the best of both worlds since you're keeping the Xterra and buying the RL. Enjoy!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
by the way, I just noticed you have red/beige. What do you think of the combo, do they work well together in your opinion?

·
Registered
41 Posts
LowRider,
Where are you on the Cape?
We take our Ridgeline out on Nausett Beach (south of the public beach towards Chattham) on a regular basis.
Air down to 15 PSI and the Ridgeline performs like a champ. In the past, late in the summer when the sand gets very soft and rutted I have had problems with other vehicles. I have seen jeeps get stuck this year.
No such problems with the Ridgeline.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm in Yarmouth port, west dennis beach is popular, soft sand/narrow/ limited, but something about being on the sand/beach everyone all of sudden feels a sense of belonging and life for everyone is great... except for the newbies who get stuck because they don't let air out. you can tell, being stuck the boyfreind or husband is sweating like a faucet, girl freind or wife is hidinig her face being stuck. Little do they realize that there are 100 people just waiting for someone to get stuck so they can help! Sandyneck beach used to be fun, now the piping plovers have put a nix on that. Ever been on the dunes in eastham, if not got to get there.

·
Registered
224 Posts
lowrider90 said:
by the way, I just noticed you have red/beige. What do you think of the combo, do they work well together in your opinion?
Would've preferred a gray interior with the red exterior, but have always liked red trucks. Over time, I've gotten used to the Honda beige. If they'd gone with the dark leather like the F-150 Heritage, it would've been perfect, but hey, I love my truck!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I'm feeling the same way, but I'm still going with the red, my exterra is red as well. I have theory. My wife and I bought new in 2000 me, red xterra, she blue odyssey. hers parking lot dings scratches everywhere. My red not one ding or scratch ever. I think the red stands out, people can see it better. whos knows, J

1 - 14 of 14 Posts