Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How good are these Ridgelines in the sand? I got stuck on the beach in January and it took me almost an hour to get myself out. Granted the sand was pretty loose, but each summer I drive out on the beaches in Nantucket and my 07 RT always struggles. I have 20's on it which should help but even when i take tire pressure down to 18lbs I'm still dissappointed. I see BMW X5's, Mercedes M classes, and regular Cherokee Loredos cruising right along but I feel like if i let up on the gas I'm screwed.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
They are excellent. You do have to air down, and you may have to pull the fuse. 18lbs doesn't sound low enough, and I doubt there are even any useful tires in a 20" size. The 20" rims won't have any effect in sand other than reducing your sidewall compliance and limiting your choice of tire.

I've been in both beach sand down in Baja, and the dunes here in Glamis (look it up). The Ridgeline works very, very well.

KeS

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,966 Posts
Yeah, I don't see how 20s help you out any. If the overall diameter is larger than stock, you end up with higher effective gearing which won't help either. And the thinner sidewall will work against you in airing down for sand ops. Since you have an RT, you may still have the OEM steelies that came with it. Put some good sand tires on those for beach ops and air those bad boys down. I think you will have an entirely different opinion of the RL in sand.

Here's a link with some tips that you may find useful.
http://www.4x4now.com/sfjun96.htm

Edit: by fuse, Kevin is referring to the 20A fuse in the 2ndary underhood fusebox. If you don't know the reason for this, then you need a better understanding of how the VTM-4/VSA system works, especially in conjunction with the TPMS.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I agree with the above statements about the 20" tires. It may work on the Beemer or Mercedes that have about 100 more or so horses than the RL, and we all know the Jeep has 4x4, not AWD.

Unless you have 20" rims with aggressive tires, which is probably not the case, this is the drawback of street tires.

·
Registered
315 Posts
RidgeBoston,

If you regularly drive in sand you may want to consider pulling the 20 amp "VSA FSR" fuse as mentioned above or installing a $15 switch mod which will do the job for you. If you do an advanced search under my user name you will find a thread writeup on it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
How good are these Ridgelines in the sand? I got stuck on the beach in January and it took me almost an hour to get myself out. Granted the sand was pretty loose, but each summer I drive out on the beaches in Nantucket and my 07 RT always struggles. I have 20's on it which should help but even when i take tire pressure down to 18lbs I'm still dissappointed. I see BMW X5's, Mercedes M classes, and regular Cherokee Loredos cruising right along but I feel like if i let up on the gas I'm screwed.

Any suggestions?
No 20"s would not help you in this case. The lack of a sidewall is preventing you from achieving any sort of a floatation on sand. Since your footprint will not change as much as someone with the stock 17" and 60 series tires you're not seeing much improvement when lowering your psi.

X5s and M classes can have some serious tread width on the performance models and roly poly donuts on the basic ones. They also have real 4wd/AWD systems along with the Cherokees.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
42 Posts
I agree with the above statements about the 20" tires. It may work on the Beemer or Mercedes that have about 100 more or so horses than the RL, and we all know the Jeep has 4x4, not AWD.

Unless you have 20" rims with aggressive tires, which is probably not the case, this is the drawback of street tires.
Additional HP over 280 in an RL needed for sand ? Not sure on that, if your vehicle has sufficient power to spin the tires in sand, it has enough power. More power will just spin them faster....;) . I think its entirely to do with the vehicle, the tires used, your pressure, your driving technique, and of course the '4WD' drive system your vehicle uses. As in another post, I know a guy in a jeep (large, mudder type tires) who can drive onto the beach through the deep, loose stuff, in 2WD mode. Its light and doesnt sink down in and he has lots of experience. I also saw a CRV on the (Ocracoke) beach 2 weeks ago, IDK what if anything special he did, but he had to cross the same deep loose stuff I did when entering the beach....

·
Registered
491 Posts
Bigger diameter wheels are bad for off road. They leave you with lower sidewall height, which results in less 'smooshability' when aired down. They won't flatten out as much. Airing down will help, but not as much as a tire of the same diameter with a smaller wheel.

Most hardcore offroad vehicles will use at most 15" steel wheels allowing for very tall sidewalls and more room for the tire to deform.

·
Registered
128 Posts

Any suggestions?
You don´t really have to airdown the tires that much, I have gone to 22psi at the most but usually drive on sand around 29-28psi, I have got stuck but not on the beach, I got stuck on arroyos here in Baja, most of the time my fault for not being patience, but for the most parts the Ridgeline is very capable of handling loose sand. Here is a video where you can see the RL on the beach and some trails. Could post the whole playlist but you might get bored :)

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
655 Posts
You don´t really have to airdown the tires that much, I have gone to 22psi at the most but usually drive on sand around 29-28psi, I have got stuck but not on the beach, I got stuck on arroyos here in Baja, most of the time my fault for not being patience, but for the most parts the Ridgeline is very capable of handling loose sand. Here is a video where you can see the RL on the beach and some trails. Could post the whole playlist but you might get bored :)

You definitely make cool videos bro. I appreciate the time you take to show us this cool stuff!

·
Registered
128 Posts
You definitely make cool videos bro. I appreciate the time you take to show us this cool stuff!
Thank you a really appreciate the good vibes, I do put some time and effort to make the videos. I won´t be posting in the forum anymore videos, just on the facebook groups, didn´t know i couldn´t post videos with links to amazon products, I really don´t make any money off the videos, I would like to :) but the reality is that you need so many hours of people watching the videos on youtube and more than 1,000 followers, plus in amazon people would have to be buying a lot from the links i post in the videos. Anyways thank you again for the comment. I will be uploading to my channel on youtube also.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Really nice and exciting video ,Bro. I was watching it and trying to guess how I would handle some of the sections you went through.Missed most of the time :) Good driving !Thanx for sharing.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I’ve driven 45-50,000 lbs trucks (semi-truck tractors with longer frames and a large box on them to carry crops) through loose sand with their stock road tires on. I’ve even driven them right out of the sand when the truck drivers got them stuck. Air pressure and technique are the keys. Lots of tire sidewall is good, so NOT large wheel rims with zero sidewall. Wide tires can be fun, but they’re not necessary.

Reactions: Baja Adventurer

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,966 Posts
Here's a good source of info on tire pressures for sand driving:

I think the link I posted upthread years ago is no longer working.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.