Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone in the Nor Cal area has driven the RL in Tahoe during winter season. How is the drive? Did State Patrol ever require you to put on chains or is your 4WD good enough? I've heard rumors that they make Ridgelines put chains on despite it being a 4x4. I'm sure its no issue at all if you have snow tires.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I wasn't in Tahoe, but I was in Mammoth (about 2.5 hours south). The police had put a stop up indicating those without 4wd would have to put on chains, I breezed right on through. If the snow had been very deep, I probably would have put chains on, but driving on through a road which had been cleared and had patches or a little accumulation, I would not be concerned.

As you'll see from other threads and probably within this thread, the RL handles very well in the snow.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I've had about every flavor 4WD vehicle out there...jeep/ford/GM etc...
Honda's AWD system beats them hands down for "on road" snow performance... It almost scares me that folks who have little experiance driving in snow with an RL may get over confident, as it's that good. Gotta remember, still can's stop worth a hoot on ice no matter what you have! The RL helps you there as well with VSA... you still slide, but where you wnat to instead of where ya were supposed to go(hope that made sense)

·
Registered
120 Posts
I purchased my RL last year in November.
My stompin grounds is I-80 between Sacramento and Donner Pass...
Donner Pass = north shore of Tahoe.
From 120 foot elevation to close 7000.
On 2 occasions in my first month...
I had to steer around domestic 4x4's
that had crashed into eachother.
Both times with 3 to 5 inches of snow.

2 answers...

1. RL has better handling and response in bad weather.
2. RL drivers have better handling and reponse. :D

Probably both.

·
Registered
33 Posts
No chains no problem... First time up I drive pretty conservatively until I saw a Pilot traveling about 15 Mph faster than me. I timed his pass then quickly caught up to him. We blew by tons of people! Upon reaching the chain station, the attendant simply waved us by... since then ive been up 2 seasons on the same stock tires and brakes with no problem at all. i got stuck in a snow covered lawn once. i got out by playing around with the VTM lock and or Traction button (i forgot which combo of settings, but i got out).

before getting my RL i had rented loads of 4x4s... jeeps, chevys, nissans, fords, dodges, etc... the RL proves to be the most stable and best handling of the bunch!

my buddy just picked up an FJ. i wonder how thats gonna feel compared to the RL??

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
cherman4: That is an awesome pic of the RL with icicles.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Drove from Sac to Reno in the snow and no problems at all. The only issue is cleaning the RL after the trip. :cool:

·
Registered
430 Posts
No problems here. I am 10 minutes from the most common chain up area on Mount Rose Highway heading up to Tahoe.

The Ridgeline truly is amazing in the snow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it necessary to engage the VTM-4 when driving up Tahoe while its snowing? Not sure when to really engage the VTM-4 button.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Is it necessary to engage the VTM-4 when driving up Tahoe while its snowing? Not sure when to really engage the VTM-4 button.
'Doesn't look like you ever got an answer. This looks like old news, but if you're still out there, be advised to the following. Your VTM-4 "lock up" button will only work when you're really needing "no kidding" 4 wheel drive. It will only engage in 1st, 2nd, or Reverse gear. . . and then only when you are traveling below 18 MPH. In other words, when you're really in it good. But don't dispair, your Ridge is always in a managed 4WD mode, so don't worry about "locking up" with VTM-4 unless you're really needing to work the truck. Example might be negotiating a steep driveway in winter or mud; maybe a snow covered lot in hilly terrain, or of course deeper snow or mucho loss-of-grip environments. I typically punch it on if I'm off road going slow through loose rock, hills with wet mud or sand, etc.
Have Fun . . . . find a place to "play" with your VTM-4 on & you'll see how effective it is. You'll need to be really steep or really slippery to get even a little slip. I actually pulled up a really steep dirt slope to park next to our cabin in the Sierras, and after I put her in park & set the brake, she actually slid back a few inches . . . wouldn't slide while I was pulling up, but slipped once the wheels were stopped. Good traction control I'd say.

·
Registered
239 Posts
last winter i went up to sugar bowl in pretty heavy snow. i just drove on through the chain control without problems. on the snowy road, i had a tiny bit of slippage if i did a lane change, but straight ahead driving was a breeze!

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
last winter i went up to sugar bowl in pretty heavy snow. i just drove on through the chain control without problems. on the snowy road, i had a tiny bit of slippage if i did a lane change, but straight ahead driving was a breeze!

Not exactly Tahoe - it was Sumpter, Oregon in March.

I bought chains and never used them. I live in So.Calif. and this was all new to me!

I passed a snow plow - no brain no pain I guess. :confused:

Had no problems at all.
I was the only vehicle on this road all day and I was wondering if I should even be there.

I even tried fish tailing at 15 - 20mph - until my right front seat driver started yelling at me. :eek:

Nothing happened, the RL just drove smoothly along with VTM-4 off and VSA on and I had a ball.

Good thing I didn't put the chains on - couldn't drive to where you park to take them off.

Attachments

·
Registered
876 Posts
Had to jump on the Red-RL-In-The-Snow bandwagon... (pic from outside Yosemite NP last year).

We now carry chains for the RL in the trunk, but only so we can honestly tell the chain control people that we are carrying chains. We don't ever expect to need them; if conditions are so bad that they're requiring 4-wheel drive AND chains actually on, we don't want to be there.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Was wondering if anyone in the Nor Cal area has driven the RL in Tahoe during winter season. How is the drive? Did State Patrol ever require you to put on chains or is your 4WD good enough? I've heard rumors that they make Ridgelines put chains on despite it being a 4x4. I'm sure its no issue at all if you have snow tires.
I heard same rumor chains are required....

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,400 Posts
Just wondering if you realize that this thread is over 3 years old.
:act024:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts