Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DRL 1 Wire Mod

When the ignition comes on, all the lights are activated.

Notes:

- Pin 6 is closest to the passenger door.
- To access the connector, you just have to pop the bottom of the dash bezel off. You can then reach in and disconnect the harness from the light switch and cargo light switch.
- I simply jammed a single conductor hook up wire into the connector to jumper pins 3 & 6

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,265 Posts
Ok, Blue, explain what your modifying, is it a part you added to US Spec RL, or do all our existing RL's have it. And if that's from the FSM, maybe provide a page number or something more?

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
That's a US switch, which when in the headlight position connects pins 3 to 6. This tells the body computer to turn on the headlights. By adding this jumper, it fakes-out the computer and the headlights stay on all the time, giving you DRLs (which are mandatory in Canada).

Chip H.

·
Registered
682 Posts
question.... since the ridge has a timer on the headlight that shuts them off when the key is removed. why not leave the switch on all the time? that's what i do.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In many provinces in Canada, DRL lights (that are independent of the switch) are a required modification to imported vehicles..... thus the mod is important.

It is easy to do, inexpensive, and maybe some duct tape could be used....... so perfect for us northern friends.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
question.... since the ridge has a timer on the headlight that shuts them off when the key is removed. why not leave the switch on all the time? that's what i do.
It's been so long since I've driven it that I can't remember, but doesn't it have an alarm tone when you leave them on? And how long is the timeout? I've never tested it.

·
Registered
682 Posts
yeah it bings a bit when you open the door, but i've learned to ignore it. timeout is less than a minute i think, haven't timed it. the only kicker is the lights will not time out in "park" mode (no headlights, or driving), and if you leave the truck key in accessory, they stay on as well

Reactions: Pairofkings

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
yeah it bings a bit when you open the door, but i've learned to ignore it. timeout is less than a minute i think, haven't timed it. the only kicker is the lights will not time out in "park" mode (no headlights, or driving), and if you leave the truck key in accessory, they stay on as well
...and they'll also stay on until the battery drains if you don't open then close the driver's door after turning the ignition off and removing the key. In other words, leaving the key in or exiting the vehicle through any other door than the driver's won't allow the headlights to turn off automatically.

·
Registered
682 Posts
wow i hadn't noticed that, but how often do you turn off the ignition, and then go out the back door? but i can see where you could be listening to the radio or something and be in that situation.

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
Yup. You must turn off the ignition, remove the key, open, then close the driver's door in that exact order. Any deviation and the headlights don't turn off after 15 seconds. I found out the hard way - I usually left the key in the ignition since it always stayed in a locked, alarmed, and camera-equipped garage.

·
Registered
95 Posts
So, this hack allows the DRL's to stay on when the Headlights are turned on...correct? Is that regardless of whether you are on the HI beam or LOW beams ?
What hack will keep the Fog Lights on when you switch to HI beams on the headlights ?

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
So, this hack allows the DRL's to stay on when the Headlights are turned on...correct?
No - it accomplishes the same thing as simply leaving the headlight switch in the "on" position.

What hack will keep the Fog Lights on when you switch to HI beams on the headlights ?
We can't discuss that here because it's not legal to operate the fog lights and high beams at the same time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts