• Maybe, if price was not too high

Votes: 27 14.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
delphi7x10 said:
Just wondering, how many would order the DRL if it was an option in the US.

I would. It's so much easier to have them. Don't have to fiddle with the lights everytime it rains or driving thru tunnels and such. I do plan on buying that Hamsar kit too if it works out, don't want to be the guinnea pig this time :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
DRL have been required in Sweden and many country for many years. Something about a cheap and easy way to reduce the chances of significantly and quickly reducing the length of the car.

The Ridgeline is made in Canada, Canada requires DRL. DRL doesn't cost any more to make: the headlights are already on the truck!

So why does Honda think that American drivers wouldn't want DRL and specifically created two versions of the wiring, one with DRL and one without?? I suppose I shouldn't complain, at least Honda included the headlights.

At the same time other manufacturers in the USA are highlighting the fact that thier cars have DRL (Subaru comes to mind)

·
Registered
536 Posts
To continue my rant....

The whole DRL issue is like the spare tire issue.

Something that shouldn't be complicated becomes very complicated.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Hello Whaleya, I just bought the Hamsar DRL module they recommended for the Ridgeline. I should have the part this week so I can work on it during the weekend. I will post pictures on the results (positive or negative).

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
bongus said:
Hello Whaleya, I just bought the Hamsar DRL module they recommended for the Ridgeline. I should have the part this week so I can work on it during the weekend. I will post pictures on the results (positive or negative).
Hope it works, at $40 some odd bucks that'll be the biggest bang for my buck accessory put on my truck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I prefer to avoid having uncontrollable vehicles. I get annoyed enough when cars try to prevent you from locking the keys inside by only letting you lock the door when they want you to lock the door. No offense to people with their heads in the clouds but I don't need guidance on these matters.

Similarly for DRL, I can handle turning lights on and off when necessary, and if I want them on at all times I'll turn them on at all times. There are times, however, that I DON'T want them on, like when I'm trying to follow someone without their knowing...well, not so much that as I live in a rare region with a drive-in movie theater, and it's extremely obnoxious when people blind you with their daytime running lights. :mad:

I want to ride the horse, I don't want the horse riding me.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
The Great Tristano said:
...it's extremely obnoxious when people blind you with their daytime running lights. :mad:
FYI, if the DRL is setup correctly, the intensity of the light should be reduced. A reduction in intensity will not only keep from "blinding" the cars in front of you but it will also keep your bulbs from burnning out quicker. BTW, I jsut received my Hamsar module today...I'm looking at the instruction diagram. I must say the install is not very clear. I will need to identify certain wires in the RL before I start anything.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bongus,

Please keep us updated on your progress. This is what I tried to tell the lady at Honda today, she said oh you you can order a third party part to that that, I told I did not want to have to figure out the wiring on my own, since last I checked the manual is still not available. She said something like well the Canadian version uses a different wire harness, and it would be a big change, and I thought so what its your company, can't you fiqure it out.
As I see it, any change to add the parts that Honda makes for the Canadian model of this truck with, can't be any harder for a dealer than some of these dealer installed accessories to install.

bongus said:
FYI, if the DRL is setup correctly, the intensity of the light should be reduced. A reduction in intensity will not only keep from "blinding" the cars in front of you but it will also keep your bulbs from burnning out quicker. BTW, I jsut received my Hamsar module today...I'm looking at the instruction diagram. I must say the install is not very clear. I will need to identify certain wires in the RL before I start anything.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I set up the front turn signals as running lights. You have seen a similar setup used on GM vehicles. And yes, I have a kill switch mounted under the dash so that if I want the DRLs off I can kill them.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It seems around here that cars with DRL's introduce another stupid factor in many drivers--they don't turn their headlights on at night so they're not visible from behind. If they mandate drls then maybe auto-on headlights will be standard too. I could live with that.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
nwdiver said:
It seems around here that cars with DRL's introduce another stupid factor in many drivers--they don't turn their headlights on at night so they're not visible from behind. If they mandate drls then maybe auto-on headlights will be standard too. I could live with that.
Auto on would be great! I won't have DRL though unless it's forced on me. And judging from the poll, I would say the forum is pretty evenly split on that.

·
Registered
297 Posts
On my XL-7 that I traded in, I could either have the lights on automatic or manual and that sure solved my problem. When I went to the shore (where headlights are required on all the time), I put them on auto. This worked great. The fine for non-compliance is not small. This isn't a big problem with me, but sometimes my age gets in the way of my mind and I forget. :D

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
What's an XL-7?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I like it because it stops you from getting tickets when it is raining-we have the wipers on lights on law. The cops love to nail you for that around here

·
Registered
274 Posts
How right you are the stupid factor they don't turn on thier headlites at nite. I have encountered this situation more so under adverse weather conditions--ie: Fog--Snow--And swirling snow behind a vehicle is the worst. I am in favour of DLR's but driver education is required (UGH) and your answer auto-on-headlites is the answer. Quess we have to pressure Honda for this feature for the Ridge. I have a 50 watt halogen Red rear Fog lamp on the back of my vehicles KC Lites. Try this type Red Rear Fog light into Google Search.Article on DLR's at
Http://www.iihs.org/safety_facts/quanda/drl.htm#57
And thanks for bringing up a weak point in DLR's.
nwdiver said:

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
maybearidge said:
I like it because it stops you from getting tickets when it is raining-we have the wipers on lights on law. The cops love to nail you for that around here
That's the law here too. I just turn them on. Not sure what the big deal is! :confused:

·
Registered
406 Posts
I traded in a Tundra that had DRL, and that is one of the minor things I did not like about it. I am equally (minorly) excited about the lack of it with my RTS.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
swampler said:
That's the law here too. I just turn them on. Not sure what the big deal is! :confused:
The big deal...which may not be big for some...is leaving you lights on will burn out your bulbs faster. The advantage of the DRLs is it is designed to reduce the intensity of the bulb so that your bulbs will last longer compared to just leaving your lights on.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts