Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question..I have a 2012 ridgeline and want to keep the DRLs on all the time..even with the headlights on..can I just complete the connection at the headlight switch or is there a better way?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
You might investigate how the Canadian RLs are wired? Their DRLs are different than US, and may do what you need.
Don't know if it's a minor difference or not though.

·
Administrator
16,057 Posts
2006-2008 Canadian Ridgelines used high beams at reduced intensity for DRLs.
2006-2008 US Ridgelines did not have DRLs.
2009-2014 All Ridgelines used dedicated lamps running at reduced intensity for DRLs.

DRLs always go off when the headlights on are switched on for a number of reasons including:

1) This operation is required by motor vehicle safety standards.
2) The dual-filament bulbs are not designed to run both filaments at the same time.
3) The light pattern from DRLs is not as controlled as the low beam pattern since it is intended to make your vehicle more noticeable to other drivers. DRLs are not intended or suitable as primary or supplemental lighting at night.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The DRLs on my 2012 are below the headlights so they don't share the same fixture as the headlights..I just want them to stay on with the headlights

·
Registered
105 Posts
1) This operation is required by motor vehicle safety standards.
3) The light pattern from DRLs is not as controlled as the low beam pattern since it is intended to make your vehicle more noticeable to other drivers. DRLs are not intended or suitable as primary or supplemental lighting at night.
Please don't. They're kind of irritating to other drivers during the day (by design!) at night, that goes from merely irritating to dangerous/blinding for other drivers.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The DRLs on my 2012 are below the headlights so they don't share the same fixture as the headlights..I just want them to stay on with the headlights
Aren't they down in the bumper next to the foglights? I think the easiest way would be to wire them up on there own circuit and triggered to turn on with the park lights. I dont know if the truck has a light out light though. Or if you could find the trigger wire that shuts them off and cut that or if it is computer controlled.

·
Administrator
16,057 Posts
Any failure or modification that causes either or both of the DRLs to not work will illuminate the DRL warning light. Examples include pulling fuses, removing bulbs, unplugging relays, etc.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Please don't. They're kind of irritating to other drivers during the day (by design!) at night, that goes from merely irritating to dangerous/blinding for other drivers.
Correct. Keeping them on at night would be glaring to other drivers. By design, they disperse a lot of light in all directions (for conspicuity during the day), and that lack of any type of upper cutoff would create disability glare for others.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts