Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dumbass me parked on the side of a road with the parking brake on. I thought I was just sliding when I pulled onto the main road so I gave my truck a bit more gas. Horrible sound and after half a meter I realized my parking brake was on and that was the reason.

I drove to a hill with a steep incline and tested the parking brakes. It seems to work fine but I was wondering if there any way to verify that nothing broke? Are ridgeline parking shoes on the rear tires? etc?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Yes, on your 1G the parking brake is a small 'drum brake' inside the rotor of the rear disk brakes.

Likely no adverse effect of your short-distance oversight. If all seems to be working fine now, it all likely is OK, no worries, it happens.

·
Administrator
22,423 Posts
Dumbass me parked on the side of a road with the parking brake on. I thought I was just sliding when I pulled onto the main road so I gave my truck a bit more gas. Horrible sound and after half a meter I realized my parking brake was on and that was the reason.

I drove to a hill with a steep incline and tested the parking brakes. It seems to work fine but I was wondering if there any way to verify that nothing broke? Are ridgeline parking shoes on the rear tires? etc?
Did you not wonder what that constant beeping and warning light meant as you drove with the parking brake on? :)

·
Premium Member
3,037 Posts
I feel your pain. With my '06 Honda Element, I drove for a few miles on I-5 with the parking brake on after an "emergency" stop for my future ex-wife. Totally my fault but, the way I figured out my error was it started to sound like a helicopter descending and landing on the roof. I ended up replacing most of the parking brake parts.

All those idiot lights and idiot buzzers were made for this idiot.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I don't think the beeping starts until you get maybe 30-40 ft...probably did not drive that far. But you are fine. Only damage that occurs is if you go miles and miles. It will glaze the brake shoes from heat build up.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,966 Posts
(Note: PB=EB, parking brake/emergency brake)

My PB beeper sounds when engaged (even slightly) and in D and there's forward movement. There's no missing that alert! I can't imagine why your PB beeper wasn't alerting.

I once drove my Mom's Taurus wagon with the EB on and didn't realize it.... until the main brakes faded completely! I let them cool off and brake operations were normal. I must have boiled the brake fluid. I can't imagine how I wasn't aware the EB was engaged. But the EB apparently didn't do much in forward motion.

I did a video years ago demonstrating the difference between the PB alert and the seat belt alert.

(I couldn't figure out how to post a video)

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
(Note: PB=EB, parking brake/emergency brake)

My PB beeper sounds when engaged (even slightly) and in D and there's forward movement. There's no missing that alert! I can't imagine why your PB beeper wasn't alerting.

I once drove my Mom's Taurus wagon with the EB on and didn't realize it.... until the main brakes faded completely! I let them cool off and brake operations were normal. I must have boiled the brake fluid. I can't imagine how I wasn't aware the EB was engaged. But the EB apparently didn't do much in forward motion.

I did a video years ago demonstrating the difference between the PB alert and the seat belt alert.

(I couldn't figure out how to post a video)
I definitely did not drive as far as you before your pb sounded. But I had mine pb pushed all the way so I put on alot of gas. My truck also jerked right when it started moving but that could be because I was off the shoulder on gravel/dirt.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,791 Posts
Oh man, do not believe what everyone is saying. Your truck is totaled. No way to fix it. Tell me where you live, I will come and pay you $1000 and pick up your truck :)

Jokes aside, as @zroger73 mentioned, the BRAKE light will stay lit and it will beep constantly. You can depress the pedal enough to trigger the switch, but not engage the brakes, and it will still yell at you. If it is not beeping, it could be one of two things; 1) the warning system is at fault so check your parking brake switch. 2) you may need some hearing aids.

@S.T.U.V , My truck can roll 5' and it starts beeping. It did it on Saturday.

@speedlever , never knew these trucks came equipped with Peanut Butter beeper..........

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Oh man, do not believe what everyone is saying. Your truck is totaled. No way to fix it. Tell me where you live, I will come and pay you $1000 and pick up your truck :)

Jokes aside, as @zroger73 mentioned, the BRAKE light will stay lit and it will beep constantly. You can depress the pedal enough to trigger the switch, but not engage the brakes, and it will still yell at you. If it is not beeping, it could be one of two things; 1) the warning system is at fault so check your parking brake switch. 2) you may need some hearing aids.

@S.T.U.V , My truck can roll 5' and it starts beeping. It did it on Saturday.

@speedlever , never knew these trucks came equipped with Peanut Butter beeper..........

Maybe he had some Judas Priest or some Van Halen blasting and couldn't hear the beeping....

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I've done this several times. Like S.T.U.V., mine can go 20-30 feet before sounding, but when it does, there is no doubt the Ridgeline is not happy.

The different times associated with the alert sounding reminds me of the "unbuckled seat belt alarm" variations experienced by different owners. Some unbuckled alarms sounded immediately upon starting the engine (such as mine) while others could drive a few feet before the alarm sounded.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.