Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As noted in our starting thread HERE, decided to make dual exhaust setup that I want, make our 2020 look more like the factory is doing with 2021 you see below.

Want it a bit more fun than totally silent stock, but not too much, not loud, this is our long distance road trip vehicle currently and are often towing our race cars to far away events (have done over 550 miles a few mornings BEFORE lunch). So, as a big believer in Helmholtz chambers to crush drone in highflow setups that is a required element for me so long trips have a calm note at moderate throttle, etc.

One week later....driving and loving it.

Some setups take weeks to get right, this one just needed the helmholtz chamber to dial it right. Helmholtz Resonator is a special side branch resonator that massively reduces the standing wave 'boominess' inside the exhaust system. We went big enough here to cut the 'booming' frequencies of 120-130hz by 48+db which is a common source of complaints with aftermarket exhausts. Will do some driving videos when time permits.

In terms of flow we easily beat the factory setup that starts about 2.4 inches into the first muffler can but keeps shrinking in size from there, exit of factory muffler is pinched down to about 2 inches and the pipe is about 2.125 at that point back to resonator and beyond. In contrast, we are bigger 2.5 inch pipe start to finish and no pinch down points, all mandrel bends, etc. Straight through big Magnaflow muffler at the front of the setup.

What do you think folks?

Did over 50 miles mixed driving on it today, it makes me finally use the paddle shifters all the time just for the fun of finally hearing some exhaust note. Will get some driving video done when I can, here is startup. Deeper tone yet mild with no rasp, it is now starting to remind me of the small V8 in my other truck.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Parts list?
Ended up customizing everything here except the tips, including all mandrel formed stainless 2.5 inch tubing. But if enough folks like what they see then my intent is have friends at Magnaflow, who are just up the road from us, make this full system as a new part number. We work with them on numerous other projects already.

·
Registered
Current 2020 RTL platinum white pearl
30 Posts
Ended up customizing everything here except the tips, including all mandrel formed stainless 2.5 inch tubing. But if enough folks like what they see then my intent is have friends at Magnaflow, who are just up the road from us, make this full system as a new part number. We work with them on numerous other projects already.
count me in the "Like" column. it looks great, I'd add that to my truck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I will buy it if they make it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I do like the appearance. If a bolt-on setup weren't too expensive, I'd probably want to do it.

And having replaced exhaust systems and catbacks, revving while parked is never a good representation of the actual sound. It sounds different/better under load... but it's harder to record.

·
Vendor
1,919 Posts
Looks great. I’ve been working on this for months and spent quite a bit to get this done with manufacture. Will post more when I have time. Will be full cat back in SS.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks great. I’ve been working on this for months and spent quite a bit to get this done with manufacture. Will post more when I have time. Will be full cat back in SS. View attachment 409825
Great, I will buy and try yours too when it is ready, let me know. Having choices is good, we offer at least five mufflers for every generation of Miata (our core business) because the range of what folks want in sound levels and character is so broad that one size never fits all.

·
Registered
'17 RTL-E Rear-door mod, LED fogs, stock bed cover, LED back up lights.
86 Posts
Keep me posted on your progress! I am interested in this system, as stock Magnaflow was to loud and the drone was nasty!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Keep me posted on your progress! I am interested in this system, as stock Magnaflow was to loud and the drone was nasty!
Yep, I too started with hearing the standard Magnaflow single tip version and likewise found drone was just too much for me.
The cure is the big Helmholtz Chamber we include here, neatly clips out that 120-130hz drone.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Where did that pic of “the chamber” go?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I took that pic down because planning to play with additional configuration of that part, didn't want later confusion.
That’s the secret sauce. I’m looking for an exhaust for my 6.4 Challenger to get rid of the drone at 2000 rpm. So far, the only game in town is Solo with their adjustable rear chamber. Everyone else makes a louder exhaust for an already loud car.

·
Registered
'17 RTL-E Rear-door mod, LED fogs, stock bed cover, LED back up lights.
86 Posts
Are you marketing this kit to sell it? If so, I am interested...or if not, give me a parts list, and I will fab it up myself.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Are you marketing this kit to sell it? If so, I am interested...or if not, give me a parts list, and I will fab it up myself.
Yes, with enough favorable feedback my plan is have our friends at Magnaflow up the road make it as a complete kit. Everything ended up customized to get the sound right except the tips are their off-the-shelf truck polished tips.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts