Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
You did a great job.I like the way you painted the pipes,heat shield and all.Looks factory.:)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Exhausts look great!!! Who did the work and how much did it cost.
Vinnie:D
WOODCO

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think the install looks very professional. The idle sound is nice and throaty, but when it revs you still have the 6 cylinder ricey sound.
Honda in 2011 is putting a V8 in the Ridgeline.
Woodco:D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
A guy in Jacksonville Florida did the work. He's been doing custom exhuast setups for over 30 years.... Rick at JRs Muffler,

Everything installed was $300 including the price of the tips. The tips themself were $150 a pair; but they were special ordered to specific height and width, and angle. It's a flowmaster turbo muffler, and all the piping, heat shield, and muffer have been painted with 2000 degree flat black header paint. Everything behind the cat was cut off and ditched.

·
Registered
289 Posts
FYI:
First and foremost, I am not trying to stir anything up here, or contradict anyone, just trying to set the record straight for anyone wanting to go with this or a similar setup. After listening to the audio/video clip of the dual exhaust system on hicksrt's RL, I thought it has the best sound of ANY I have heard, so I went to my muffler guy who deals with Flowmaster mufflers all the time and he informed me that Flowmaster does not make a 'turbo' muffler. He even checked with his distributor and no dice. To clarify the situation, I called JR's muffler in Jacksonville (actually Orange Park, FL) and spoke with Rick who installed the system in question. He immediately knew the vehicle I was talking about and advised that the muffler used was a 40 series Flowmaster (one in, two out) dual chamber muffler. I am seriously thinking about doing the same thing to mine now that I know the details. Just thought some of the ROC members might want to know.

Jim aka Weatherman

·
Super Moderator
22,681 Posts
Question: other than looks (and possibly sound) what benefit is there going from 1:1 to 1:2 outlets? I don't see any change to exhaust flow restrictions in that setup. I would think a true dual exhaust would have one pipe from each header. No? (but that may be impractical with a transverse mounted engine).

I wonder if the OP noticed any performance changes? MPG changes? This looks like a very nicely done custom fab.

·
Super Moderator
22,681 Posts
I don't see any conflict, if this is what you mean:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Question: other than looks (and possibly sound) what benefit is there going from 1:1 to 1:2 outlets? I don't see any change to exhaust flow restrictions in that setup. I would think a true dual exhaust would have one pipe from each header. No? (but that may be impractical with a transverse mounted engine).

I wonder if the OP noticed any performance changes? MPG changes? This looks like a very nicely done custom fab.
I don't know for a fact, but supposedly the RL has a rather restrictive exhaust system. Whether or not this particular setup is less restrictive and could therefore possibly generate a small increase in power, who knows, but in my case I just like the way it looks and I have always liked a throaty exhaust note, especially in/on a pickup. You are correct in that in order to have true dual exhaust on the RL there would have to be an exhaust pipe attached to each manifold/header which doesn't work well with a transverse mounted engine. Since I would be using the stainless steel tips that I used to have on my '92 Corvette, the total cost for everything else would be around $250, otherwise with tips the cost would be around $300. Not sure if it's worth that many $$ just for looks and sound, but to each his own. My two cents.

Jim aka Weatherman

·
Registered
589 Posts
Flowmaster $0 Series two chamber? HAHA! When I talked with Flowmaster a year ago, that is the SAME one they recommended to me! I love the sound of Flowmasters! Everything else I have heard installed on the Ridgeline has sounded like tuner fart cans. VERY BUZZY! I too am curious if the OP has noticed any performance differences, MPG changes, etc. Not that it really matters, but I am just curious. Since this came out so darn nice, I believe I will be doing this (or rather having it done as it will require some custom bent tubing) this summer! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
22,681 Posts
Those are NC plates. Where 'bouts in NC are you?

·
Super Moderator
22,681 Posts
It's all in my profile under my user name. ;)

·
Registered
180 Posts
I tried to do all this and reverted it back to the OEM after going straight pipe from the CAT because I was advised against the muffler anywhere else than original location. Isn't the CAT removed in this installation? If so I was warned that would reduce back pressure and harm the engine voiding any warranty. In addition, the OEM muffler is in a recess at the back of the truck which really limits what can be done. This installation with the muffler in the middle appears to hang far lower, maybe 4-6" than the original reducing ground clearance.

Not being critical. Just asking questions cause I'll run this right down to my muffler guys and tell them they suck.

·
Registered
174 Posts
This is the best thread I have seen in a long time. Thanks to the OP for sharing. So tired of all the old farts posting about missing a coin holder or wondering where to buy wheels...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I tried to do all this and reverted it back to the OEM after going straight pipe from the CAT because I was advised against the muffler anywhere else than original location. Isn't the CAT removed in this installation? If so I was warned that would reduce back pressure and harm the engine voiding any warranty. In addition, the OEM muffler is in a recess at the back of the truck which really limits what can be done. This installation with the muffler in the middle appears to hang far lower, maybe 4-6" than the original reducing ground clearance.

Not being critical. Just asking questions cause I'll run this right down to my muffler guys and tell them they suck.
Actually I do have the cats. As a matter of fact I had to replace one of my cats last week due to an engine light. Also the exhuast does not hang any lower than the factory exhaust. I would recommend this set up to anyone that wants to do duals. The performance gains are minimal except some low end torque that I've noticed but the sound and looks are great.

·
Super Moderator
22,681 Posts
Maybe. Whatcha offerin' for a run out to SoCal? :D

21 - 40 of 44 Posts