Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 2013 RTL and was wondering how many people have switched over to Redline D6. Curious to know if the D6 will create smoother shifts and help with shudder.

My Ridgeline has 43k on it and I have done a drain and refill twice with DW1. The transmission has a slight shudder(and hard shifts) in town every once in a while. While under warranty, I took it in for this problem. The dealer did not find anything. They advised a drain and refill.

Thanks for any information!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I doubt anybody here has used anything but DW-1. But I doubt it will hurt anything for you to give it a shot. Would have to do a bunch of drain and fills though. My 06 occasionally has a hicupp/confusion around town. Been doing it for 70k. Fluid changes has never helped.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I use Castrol Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid in all my Honda vehicles:

2006 Honda Pilot
2010 Honda Ridgeline
2011 Honda Pilot
2008 Acura TL Type S

I know many on this forum swear by the DW-1 and that's fine, but as soon as my vehicles were out of warranty, I switched to Castrol with no issues( knock on wood). By the way, the Acura TL has 330,000 miles with the original transmission. Castrol Transmax is approved for all Honda vehicles except those with CVT.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,339 Posts
I use Castrol Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid in all my Honda vehicles:

2006 Honda Pilot
2010 Honda Ridgeline
2011 Honda Pilot
2008 Acura TL Type S

I know many on this forum swear by the DW-1 and that's fine, but as soon as my vehicles were out of warranty, I switched to Castrol with no issues( knock on wood). By the way, the Acura TL has 330,000 miles with the original transmission. Castrol Transmax is approved for all Honda vehicles except those with CVT.
Is it approved by Honda or Castrol????

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Search Redline, I know a few here have used it, and the Castrol I've seen before too.:surprise:

One of these days I'm going to lab some clean DW1 & post it, others with Castrol & Redline and other stuff could do the same. Someone could also lab test that "friction modifier" BG ATC-Plus Trans Conditioner, IIRC, then we could have an intelligent conversation on this.>:)

IMHO, redline is like 2X-3X the DW1, I'd rather spend more and do a DnF ever other OCI, and 3 then the MM asks for a Transmission service.:nerd:

Reactions: speedlever

·
Registered
250 Posts
Good callout. I would be surprised to see Honda approve anything but their branded product. Which is perfectly fine. Here are some additional details on the product. You can also see the reviews by other Honda users that made the switch on the link.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00826N5JW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1N4YL1DARHVP1&coliid=I253VY7PHBZ2AZ&psc=1

My only point is there are other cost effective options for Honda/Acura owners outside of Honda's Branded products.
Redline is great product that just comes at a premium price.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I doubt anybody here has used anything but DW-1. But I doubt it will hurt anything for you to give it a shot. Would have to do a bunch of drain and fills though. My 06 occasionally has a hicupp/confusion around town. Been doing it for 70k. Fluid changes has never helped.
Remember I was blasted in post a few weeks ago when I said the Honda Dealership while doing airbag recall & problem with door lock actuator draining battery I also had transmission/differential fluid along with oil changed because it was overdue or about due for service. I was not going by Maintenance Minder as it might be off. I was going by dealer invoice paperwork and mileage this time. So I got blasted for letting them put BG MOA additive in the oil. While I always have gotten synthetic at the dealership this time the put in regular but used the BG additive in the regular oil change. Something my Acura dealer use to do with my 2000 Acura before I started using full synthetic.
I got blasted here for the Transmission Conditioner they put in BG ATC-Plus#310 Honda Dealership put in the 2007 Ridgeline with 160,000 miles.
But my Acura Dealership has put same in my 2000 3.2TL more than a few times when I had Transmission fluid changed I am about 800 miles shy of 100,000 miles and I will have it 17yrs in Dec. Nothing leaking out of car except water from A/C I park in same exact spot in back yard on concrete I would see any leaks. But if you read what the BG ATC-Plus Trans Conditioner does it says will help correct/prevent trans shudder and shifting problems. Prevent Trans leaks by keeping seals soft.
Now on Invoice it says the trans fluid Honda used says bulk.
They have a youtube of one of their employees explaining the BG ATC-Plus #310 but not for all vehicles like CVT.
I was also blasted for Honda Dealership putting in the BG products Syncro Shift 2 instead of Honda VTM-4 in rear differential. But BG states you can use this for that application in their spec sheet. Also other people on internet around country have said other Honda/Acura dealerships have done same with their Ridgeline/Pilot/MDX that require same VTM-4 fluid.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Remember I was blasted in post a few weeks ago when I said the Honda Dealership while doing airbag recall & problem with door lock actuator draining battery I also had transmission/differential fluid along with oil changed because it was overdue or about due for service. I was not going by Maintenance Minder as it might be off. I was going by dealer invoice paperwork and mileage this time. So I got blasted for letting them put BG MOA additive in the oil. While I always have gotten synthetic at the dealership this time the put in regular but used the BG additive in the regular oil change. Something my Acura dealer use to do with my 2000 Acura before I started using full synthetic.
I got blasted here for the Transmission Conditioner they put in BG ATC-Plus#310 Honda Dealership put in the 2007 Ridgeline with 160,000 miles.
But my Acura Dealership has put same in my 2000 3.2TL more than a few times when I had Transmission fluid changed I am about 800 miles shy of 100,000 miles and I will have it 17yrs in Dec. Nothing leaking out of car except water from A/C I park in same exact spot in back yard on concrete I would see any leaks. But if you read what the BG ATC-Plus Trans Conditioner does it says will help correct/prevent trans shudder and shifting problems. Prevent Trans leaks by keeping seals soft.
Now on Invoice it says the trans fluid Honda used says bulk.
They have a youtube of one of their employees explaining the BG ATC-Plus #310 but not for all vehicles like CVT.
I was also blasted for Honda Dealership putting in the BG products Syncro Shift 2 instead of Honda VTM-4 in rear differential. But BG states you can use this for that application in their spec sheet. Also other people on internet around country have said other Honda/Acura dealerships have done same with their Ridgeline/Pilot/MDX that require same VTM-4 fluid.

I do not remember. I like BG products. I actually sell their fuel stuff here in the retail dept while the shop uses MOC products. My dads been using BG forever. Only time I recommend factory fluids is for coolant. I have seen what happens when mixed or using wrong stuff.

I stick with factory stuff mainly because it is cheap for me. And my opinion you really wont know most of the time if a fluid is bad for whatever application until later down the road. IE aftermarket fluid the trans dies at 200k and factory fluid the trans dies at 250k...its a toss up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I changed out 4 quarts for Red Line D6. So far, I've put approx. 400 miles on. The shifts have more of a positive feel and the shudder is almost non existent.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I have to say my 08 RTL shifts as good now as when it came off the showroom floor with 230,000 miles. I started using DW-1 as soon as it was introduced.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've been using Redline D6 in my J37 swapped RL for about 3k miles. I only did 2 D/Fs and It shifts nicer than DW1 in all conditions. The DW1 has fantastic shift quality for about 500 miles after a D/F then starts degrading (probably because I'm HARD on the trans). So far the Redline fluid still feels great both hot and cold! YMMV of course. I figure if/when I blow my trans it will give me a good excuse to build a bulletproof one. I am a fan of DW1 for "normal" calm drivers lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The only ATF FLUID HONDA APPROVES IS HONDA Genuine DW-1 for Automatic Transmission.....
I see many ATF bottles say approved for HONDA DW-1 but that is not HONDA... That is Castrol or Valvoline making them claims....
Mattter fact ASIN now has DW-1 ATF and I took a bottle of it to the local dealer and they told me that it was NOT APPROVED For HONDAS... Its approved by ASIN.. Also there has been Analysis on Asisn DW-1 and Idumitsi DW-1 and every brand in between and Honda DW-1 Is different.

This is a C/P but Great Information none the less.

Three ATF’s were analyzed by two labs, one a university lab and another a commercial lab to determine their elemental and chemical composition because of on-going debates about the suitability of each fluid for various applications. The three ATF’s analyzed were: Genuine Honda DW-1, Valvoline MaxLife, and Idemitsu Type H-Plus.

All ATF’s were purchased in early July at the author’s expense.

Analytical analysis used was FTIR, C-NMR, and H-NMR on various instrumentation types.

Two of the fluids, Valvoline MaxLife, and Idemitsu Type H-Plus were purchased from a local auto parts store while the Genuine Honda DW-1 was purchased from a Honda Dealer at the parts counter. The price of the Genuine Honda DW-1 and Idemitsu Type H averaged about $8.11 per quart. The price of the Valvoline MaxLife averaged about $5.00/quart.

Note: Only the elemental analysis for Boron down to Zinc will be reported since any elements < 2ppm usually represent some chemical “tag” or very low levels of metal inhibitor chemistry.

This analysis will not disclose any base oil, Friction Modifier, or other possible proprietary compounds. Readers are referred to the respective manufacturers’ web sites for ATF properties, claims, and coverage, or “Suitable for Use in” categories. Note: “Suitable for Use In” does NOT equate to equivalency!

All elemental and viscosity values were averaged over the samples.

Original Honda DW-1™ (Part # beginning with 08200-):
Boron - 272
Silicon - 4
Sodium - 3
Calcium - 353
Magnesium - 204
Phosphorus - 2
Zinc – 320
[email protected] – 6.93 cSt
Commentary and Opinion: The chemical signature for this ATF is essentially the same as Honda’s Z-1 fluid and is indicative of fluids used in Automated Manual transmissions. To the author’s knowledge, no Step-Shift ATF chemical signature compares. Notable is the level of the Zinc compounds needed for the internals of Automated Manual transmissions.

Owners’ of Step-Shift automatic transmissions should avoid using this product in any Step-Shift automatic transmission.

Label - Valvoline MaxLife™ (Part # beginning with 773):
Boron - 272
Silicon - 2
Sodium - 8
Calcium - 230
Magnesium - 3
Phosphorus - 579
Zinc – 3
[email protected] – 5.91 cSt

Commentary and Opinion: The chemical signature for this ATF is indicative of the later Dexron and Dex/Merc series of ATF’s based on the original Dexron through the Dexron III(H)) and Dexron VI series of ATF’s. It is closely comparative to the GM Dexron VI formulations as well as to their own Dexron VI offering, and can be classified as a low Viscosity ATF. What is notable is a boost in the Ant-Wear Phosphorus compound of about 200 ppm.

The manufacturer claims coverage, or “Suitable for Use in” (no equivalency claims) for Honda/Acura’s Z-1 and DW-1. I do not see how this could be the case when compared to the DW-1 analysis above.

Valvoline could claim coverage of Idemitsu’s fluid because Idemitsu Type-H is claiming coverage of Honda Z-1 and DW-1 (see below), but this would be a gross overstepping of “read-across” coverage, and nowhere in Valvoline’s PI sheets do I see “Suitable for Use in” Idemitsu Type H-Plus applications.

Label - Idemitsu Type H-Plus™ (Part # beginning with 30040090-):
Boron - 30
Silicon - 2
Sodium - 3
Calcium - 265
Magnesium - 2
Phosphorus - 245
Zinc – 3
[email protected] – 5.91 cSt

Commentary and Opinion: The chemical signature for this ATF is indicative of the fluid used in many Asian-made Step-Shift automatic transmissions. As you can see from the MaxLife comments it is very similar to the GM Dexron series.

However, the Idemitsu label claims, “ATF Type-H plus Engineered for Honda Z-1 and DW-1.” Again, looking at the analysis for the Original Honda DW-1, I fail to see how this could be the case.

Conclusion: While this article may not settle all debates, one should closely examine these analyses and educate themselves on the various offerings and claims in order to determine “suitability” for their vehicles’ transmission

Ill add Castrol Import Multi Vehicle

Aluminum 0
Chromium 0
Copper 0
Iron 0.5
Lead 0.5
Nickel 0
Manganese 0
Molybdenum 0.5
Potassium 0
Silicon 8
Silver 0
Sodium 1
Tin 0
Titanium 0
Boron 120
Magnesium 0
Calcium 0.5
Phosphorous 234
Zinc 1
Barium 0

Viscosity 8.01

Notice its not the same as HONDA DW-1

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
You should have credited the author of that post, and linked to it. The person whose commentary you’ve quoted goes by the internet nickname of Molakule. He is an active professional lubricant formulator, and also a physicist.

The post is at the bobistheoilguy.com web forum, and it grew out of a number of things, including the VOA I did on DW-1 (and D6) and things others did on the Idemitsu for-Honda-DW-1 and others, and the discussions we were having surrounding them.

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
I changed my Transmission fluid and had a sample sent to Blackstone in this thread below:

Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts

2006 Honda Pilot
2010 Honda Ridgeline
2011 Honda Pilot
2008 Acura TL Type S

approved or suitable or reccomended??

I think Honda DW-1 is the only one approved... Castrol and others companies get you with the wording... In my 2002 Honda Accord V6 in the owners manual it says 10W30 is suitable for use in Honda Transmisson untill you can fill with Honda ATF Z1 /DW-1 ......

Not saying Castrol Transmax is bad.. Im sure its good.. but does it says Approved by Honda? Or suitable or reccomended or they might slip in the word compatible

Okay I found it.. Its only approved for

Full Synthetic, low viscosity formulation OEM approved and licensed by Ford (MERCON® LV) and GM (DEXRON® -VI )

and then for honda it says

Suitable for use in vehicles as indicated below:Manufacturer Specification Honda/Acura ATF-Z1, ATF DW-1,

Then the wording get stranger for other cars

Product Data Transmax Full Synthetic Multi-vehicle ATFDescriptionCastrol Transmax Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Automatic TransmissionFluid is a technologically advanced, low viscosityformulation specially designed to deliver performance and maximum fuel efficiency for modern automatictransmissions. It is blended with premium base stocks, a balanced additive package and is fully approved by both Fordand GM for use in vehicles requiring their latest ATF specifications. In addition to approval from the two major US automanufacturers, Transmax Full Synthetic Mutli-Vehicle ATF exceeds the requirements of the JASO-1A performancestandard created by Japanese automobile manufacturers. This standard is recognized by Japanese OEM’s in certifyingATF for use in their vehicles.AdvantagesFull Synthetic, low viscosity formulationOEM approved and licensed by Ford (MERCON® LV) and GM (DEXRON® -VI)Low viscosity formula for maximum fuel efficiency in modern automatic transmissionsEnhanced friction durability for smooth transmission performanceSuperior high temperature protection to effectively resist oxidationUnsurpassed protection against copper corrosionWarranty and Protection RequirementsExceeds all passenger car and light truck manufacturer’s warranty requirements for vehicles, transmissions orpower steering service where a DEXRON®-VI or MERCON® LV type ATF is specifiedIndustry Specifications and OEM ApprovalsJASO-1ALicensed and approved for use in:All GM vehicles (DEXRON®-VI, DEXRON®-III, DEXRON®-II, DEXRON®-II-D, DEXRON®)All Ford vehicles requiring MERCON® LVRecommended for use in vehicles as indicated below:ManufacturerSpecificationHyundaiAll applications that require automatic transmission fluidIsuzuAll applications that require automatic transmission fluidKiaAll applications that require automatic transmission fluidMitsubishiAll applications that require automatic transmission fluidNissan / InfinitiAll applications that require automatic transmission fluidSubaruAll applications that require automatic transmission fluidToyota / LexusAll applications that require automatic transmission fluidSuzukiAll applications that require automatic transmission flui d

Its only APPROVED FOR Dex LV

·
Registered
4 Posts
You should have credited the author of that post, and linked to it. The person whose commentary you’ve quoted goes by the internet nickname of Molakule. He is an active professional lubricant formulator, and also a physicist.

The post is at the bobistheoilguy.com web forum, and it grew out of a number of things, including the VOA I did on DW-1 (and D6) and things others did on the Idemitsu for-Honda-DW-1 and others, and the discussions we were having surrounding them.
Well Im glad you said that.. We wouldnt want to hurt anyones feelings.. Im sure most people knew that was a C/P and I didnt write that other then the top few lines..
Thank goodness thats outta the way.... I dont want a lawsuit. LOL

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Molakule has vast technical knowledge and credibility. You could have strengthened your argument by properly attributing the quote.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,105 Posts
This has been established over and over again to stick with Honda recommended fluids. Why are we beating this bush 3.5 years later? :unsure:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Molakule has vast technical knowledge and credibility. You could have strengthened your argument by properly attributing the quote.
Never said he didnt.... Im sure he does... Im very / so sorry if anyones feelings are hurt... To tell you the truth I dont think anyone cares.. but in case.... I hope no ones feelings are hurt.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts