Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone soundproofed their Ridgeline yet and if so what was the outcome?? How much material did you use etc. Any pics to share would be nice.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
RIDGE PATROL said:
Has anyone soundproofed their Ridgeline yet and if so what was the outcome?? How much material did you use etc. Any pics to share would be nice.
Soundproof? The quietest pickup truck in the world?:cool:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Tex's Ridge said:
Soundproof? The quietest pickup truck in the world?:cool:
I was thinking the same thing. Not sure what I would be the point of soundproofing a car anyway. I guess you could sound proof it so you can play loud music and others couldn't hear you.

·
Registered
319 Posts
WOW! Why would you want to gut your interior to install dynamat? THe only noise I hear is the wind at 70 MPH off the mirrors!!!

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
That's not why you install it. You would Dynamat a Mercedes under the right conditions.

Dynamat absorbs low frequency energy, the kind that's generated by kilowatt subwoofers. It helps keep welded panels like doors, rear decks, trunk lids, etc. from shaking themselves apart.

The extra noise reduction when the stereo is off is an added bonus.

The downside is that this tuff is made of asphalt, and thus is very heavy. You can easily add 100 pounds to your truck by installing it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
shovelhd has obviously used this stuff and the pervious posts have not, I thought that they quit making it with asphalt but not sure 100%. I have soundproofed all my vehicles including my Audi and it makes a much quieter ride and the doors seem/sound alot quieter.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here are some pics of soundproofing using hushmat, also speaker install. I didnt have enough to do all of the door but it is not needed anyways. Point is just to cover the areas that have a ping to it. left side is stock speaker and door.

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
RIDGE PATROL said:
shovelhd has obviously used this stuff and the pervious posts have not, I thought that they quit making it with asphalt but not sure 100%. I have soundproofed all my vehicles including my Audi and it makes a much quieter ride and the doors seem/sound alot quieter.
I don't have a Ridgeline yet but I'll chime in here as I used this on my 2003 Toyota Matrix. It is a sort-of asphault-like material, black, more a very thick liquid-like consistency on an aluminum backing. It's very sticky and very heavy. I applied it to the four doors of my car and while it did help a bit, it didn't make a huge difference because I didn't do the two biggest areas for sound-infiltration: the floor and the roof - I'm just not brave enough to pull the headliner out for fear of breaking it, and I simply gave up after dealing with the doors. The big downside that I found, and this probably only applies to those of us living in very hot summer states, is that the asphault-like material has a tendency to liquify in the heat. I've found drips from under my doors of this stuff, gotten it stuck on the back of new pants, etc. - it's a mess to clean up, let me tell you. And it was a very time- and patience-consuming job.

Was it worth all the work? No. If the Ridgeline is as quiet as my wife's Accord, I would say skip it and deal with a little road-noise. If you're putting a really huge system in your RL, you might get some benefit from the added mass on the panels, but most people probably won't benefit too much.

This all said not having driven an RL yet . . . so I can't say for sure how quiet it is, but I'm guessing it's a hell of a lot quieter than my Matrix is even with the sound-deadening mats!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what brand did you use i have used dynamat and hush mat and never had any problems with smell,dripping or anything like that

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
from hush mat site

• Why doesn't HushMat offer an asphalt or PVC damper like the “other” guys?
Our 15+ years of experience in the automotive industry and history of automotive lab testing indicate that the adhesion properties and acoustic properties of these materials available are inferior. The materials are:
• difficult to conform to contoured surfaces,
• require solvent cleaning/washing of the surface before installation,
• require heating of the material and surface during installation,
• market feedback indicates that some even fall off in cold weather!
• Time consuming and difficult to handle during installation
<back to top>

• How can I treat higher temperature “hot spots” on my car?
There are several areas on a vehicle interior that experience above average temperatures. The front of dash, the tunnel, near the header, above the exhaust to name a few. HushMat Ultra Custom comes in dimensions that offer excellent thermal properties. The thicker viscoelastic layer and thicker foil laminate provide an excellent treatment for these difficult application areas. Call or e-mail us and we can provide you with the best material for these applications. HushMat Ultra and Ultra have been tested to perform at up to 400 degrees F.

·
Registered
159 Posts
RIDGE PATROL said:
what brand did you use i have used dynamat and hush mat and never had any problems with smell,dripping or anything like that
It was something a guy on matrixowners.com, an audiophile who'd won sound competitions with his car, swore by and sold himself, and many others used it without incident. It might just be a fluke - maybe one section I used had a problem, because this dripping occurs only in one spot on one door. In the future, should I choose to do this again, I'll steer clear of this type of stuff - Hushmat sounds like it's not prone to these types of problems.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Beware, there are roofing materials being recommended and sold on the Internet for sound dampening purposes. I would stay away from bargain bin eBay specials, unless they are name brand factory seconds. I've had good luck with those.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I thought i would also let you know that i used a Bulk kit and 2 door kits to do the enitre vehicle. a200s is the door kit--about 46.00 has (10) 12"x12" sheets or 10.1 sq ft wgt is 7lbs., the bulk kit is A500 has (30) 12"x23" sheets or 58.7 sq ft and wgt is 37lbs. about 239.00 Just shop around I found the bulk kit for 185.00 once and got a local shop to match the price which will save you shipping also. So my total weight gained was 51lbs.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/csexpo/hushmat.html

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used 13 sheets in my old car have, have not yet started on the new truck. In the old car it viturally eliminated road noise especially with the hard top on. I will probably only do the doors in the RL.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I like a few others have "sound deadened" there cars i have used vblok and dynamat w/ great results. a sound deadened vehicle will lower the over noise most notably road and engine noise, in a deadened vehicle the ride will be that much more enjoyable...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I added some dampening to all 4 doors. Inside and outside layers of the door. Also, added some under the rear seats. It was added mainly because of aftermarket stereo but it did quite down the ridgeline a bit further. I agree, it is pretty darn quiet stock.

Pics here

1 - 16 of 16 Posts