Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the Dyno-lock on my 2011 RTL. It was not an easy job. I have done lots of wiring and various installs in all my previous vehicles, I am a ham operator, so running wires and cables is not new for me. My son helped me, he also has lots of experience. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being most difficult, I would give the dyno-lock install at least a 7. I read lots of good info from various other posts here, so I will only pass-on what I did a little different. The quality of the dyno-lock is a little questionable, one of the connectors fell off as I was taking it out of the bag it came in. The directions are not very good, lots left for you to figure out.
Mounting the device was not hard and taking the truck apart was not too bad either. Routing the wire to the door is not easy. I did not take any pictures, but I will do my best to describe what I did.
The wiring in the tailgate, I followed the wiring for the camera through the tailgate and out. Right below where the wiring leaves the tailgate is the end of the truck frame. There is a hole in the end and the frame is hollow and runs the length of the truck. There are several holes near where the door entrance is. I used an electrical snake, ran it all the way to the rear, pulled the wire back through the frame. I did not use the short wire, the long wire is plenty long enough to go the whole way. The tap in connectors both broke when I tried to use them to connect into the truck wiring. The wires are different sizes, one is 16 ga and the other is either 18 or 20 ga, the snap in connectors do not work well with different size wires. I cut the truck wires and soldered all three ends together.
Putting the truck back together was not too hard. I was concerned about the tail-gate top/end but we took all the white plastic connectors/snaps out of the tailgate, put them in the end piece, and it pushed right back on, no problems there.
One remaining concern is if the lock ever fails in the locked position, with the tonneau cover on, I have no idea how I will get into the bed, so hope it keeps working. With this in mind, I think maybe a plain old key lock for the tailgate might have been a better choice. Maybe some day Honda will put one in.
Bak-flip HD tonneau cover should arrive Tuesday, I will post how that install goes.
If you have any questions let me know. Good luck….

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
You might check other threads where some have installed their own electric lock using parts from Parts Express, etc. Basically, the same you have done, likely with similar difficulties. Doing the twist & solder is better than the squeeze splices any day of the week. Especially for connections that are hard to access once everything is back together.
But you will also find where some have tied a cord and ran it to one side of the tailgate where you can yank on it as an emergency release. Even with just the key Pop and Lock, that's a good idea. The P&L tumbler not being the most robust.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Honda's inability to provide a locking solution compatible with Nav is a great big bag of fail. If they supposedly FAIL every dealership that gets below a perfect customer service score... They should absolutely fail themselves.

By the way, every dealer I have any interaction with pleads with me for a perfect review because Honda won't accept anything less than perfection. Never going to happen & stupid to try, so your evaluation system is a failure too... The evaluation system itself and the way dealerships feel they are forced to handle it is really annoying for customers. FAIL

·
Registered
651 Posts
Honda's inability to provide a locking solution compatible with Nav is a great big bag of fail. If they supposedly FAIL every dealership that gets below a perfect customer service score... They should absolutely fail themselves.

By the way, every dealer I have any interaction with pleads with me for a perfect review because Honda won't accept anything less than perfection. Never going to happen & stupid to try, so your evaluation system is a failure too... The evaluation system itself and the way dealerships feel they are forced to handle it is really annoying for customers. FAIL
I'm not sure this rant is useful here at all. Seems it would be better placed in the "Dear Honda" section where Honda could possably see it. Here you're just preaching to the choir and not really providing any help to the OP or others who may follow...

·
Registered
651 Posts
I did this mod from scratch following the postings in this thread http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9981
Look at posts #120 & #121, those are the posts I made about my install and include photos of how I ran an emergency release cable. there are other examples in that thread where people have used string and twisted wire cable for theirs too. I'll admit that running the wiring was kind of a PITA but really only give the whole mod a 4 out of 10 as most of the "legwork" was done by people in that thread who did it before me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts