Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone else has had their windshield get pitted up quickly? I've not owned my RL that long and the windshield is really pitted badly, so much so I'm considering having it replaced. This is not a work truck so it hasn't been subjected to poor treatment.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I’ve owned mine since 2005/6, and have always kept it outside. I could almost call it a “mostly highway miles” car, and it’s got about 113k on it now. I think the windshield is in pretty poor shape. New windshields are one thing that make new cars seem so nice, actually being able to see, and wipers wiping the glass clean instead of running along the tiny scratches in the glass.

If I wasn’t running on a tight budget and didn’t have dents in my RL and a saggy rear headliner, I’d probably be looking at prices for replacement glass via safelite or something. However, one risk that seems to often come with windshield replacement is a soggy wet floor, and subsequently rotted out floors. So for now, I will keep my scratched windshield until it really needs it. There are a few rock / hail chip stars that have not spread, but I’m confident that the moment I replace the windshield, I will get a soggy floor and then a huge rock will break the glass.

So I wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,460 Posts
I’ve owned mine since 2005/6, and have always kept it outside. I could almost call it a “mostly highway miles” car, and it’s got about 113k on it now. I think the windshield is in pretty poor shape. New windshields are one thing that make new cars seem so nice, actually being able to see, and wipers wiping the glass clean instead of running along the tiny scratches in the glass.

If I wasn’t running on a tight budget and didn’t have dents in my RL and a saggy rear headliner, I’d probably be looking at prices for replacement glass via safelite or something. However, one risk that seems to often come with windshield replacement is a soggy wet floor, and subsequently rotted out floors. So for now, I will keep my scratched windshield until it really needs it. There are a few rock / hail chip stars that have not spread, but I’m confident that the moment I replace the windshield, I will get a soggy floor and then a huge rock will break the glass.

So I wait.

Try wetsanding the windshield, along with some polish (like Mothers/Meguiars Mag & Aluminum Polish). I did that on my old Dakota and it made the pitted windshield look like new again. I think I started with 800 or 1200-grit, then moved up to 2200 or 2600-grit (like emery cloth). Kept the windshield wet with water while sanding by hand, took some elbow grease. Try it on the passenger side first if you are unsure.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I don't have the sandpaper look, but when I was changing my wiper blades the other day I noticed many small pits in the windshield. Most of them are too deep to sand out. I think I've only heard two actual rock hits on my windshield. The rest weren't audible, but they are definitely there. I purchased some repair resin to see if I can fill the chips. I'll let you know how it works out. This acoustic glass might be great for noise reduction, but horrible for durability. As an aside, I have tried just about every aftermarket wiper on my RL. All of them streak almost immediately. Luckily I kept my OEM blades, and I bought some OEM refills. No more streaking.

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
672 Posts
I'm on my 3rd windshield on my 06. I think they are soft. My first one looked like you were looking through a discoball at night. But they use a lot of sand in Anchorage.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I'm on my 3rd windshield on my 06. I think they are soft. My first one looked like you were looking through a discoball at night. But they use a lot of sand in Anchorage.
I know what you mean. I just moved back to Louisiana after six years in the CO mountains. The average lifespan of a windshield in CO is six months.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
How pitted your windshield gets likly is highly dependent on where you drive. With sanding of the roads in winters... good luck keeping a front end looking smooth for long.

·
Registered
432 Posts
It’s been a while since I’ve put rainx on my ridgeline, but I definitely recall a marked improvement in vision after doing so. It almost makes it so the condition of the wipers is irrelevant since the water beads off instead of making streaks on the glass where the wipers hit it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Got my second rock chip last week. When I got the first and had it repaired, something told me to buy the "lifetime" chip repair plan for $49.95, instead of just paying the $29.95 one time repair cost. I've had a rock chip in other vehicles I have owned, but never two in the same windshield in the first year. I think there might be merit in the fact that the materials used to make these for our Ridgeline may not be the strongest available...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.