Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum so if this has been covered I apologize. I have a 2017 Honda ridgeline and back in the fall I was using the Econ button for several weekend trips on the highway. I noticed later that fall that the transmission began skipping usually between 30 and 60 mph. I am finally taking it into the shop tomorrow, but Do not want to get taken advantage of since I am a woman. Any guidance or does anyone know of this problem?

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Do a search for "judder" in the 2G forums and I think you will find a thread with a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) for a transmission issue similar to what you describe. Also, I think there is no connection to the use of the ECON button and your problem. Your dealer will most certainly look (or they should) for any codes in the OBDII.

I am not a mechanic but am highly skilled at giving my uninformed opinion.

Here is a start: Search results for query: TSB 17-025 TSB 17-026

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is at 94,000 miles. Probably happened right around the 80-85,000 mileage mark

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
It is at 94,000 miles. Probably happened right around the 80-85,000 mileage mark.
You maybe SOL for warranty coverage. I suggest going to the dealer and talked to a male service writer and when he gives you the bad news, start to cry. through your tears, ask to talk to the manager. Maybe you can get some goodwill service out of them. No man can resist a crying female.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:ROFLMAO: Can’t do that. I wish! You all have been very helpful though. I have a mechanic that is a friend of the family and he researched this problem for me when it first happened and said that everything he saw said the transmission fluid needed to be flushed and he did not have that piece of equipment. He said I needed to take it to the dealer. But I procrastinated, then I got a recall notice for something related to the fuel injectors - I think. I took it to the dealer then hoping that would correct the problem, but it didn’t. But this has been very, very helpful! At least the parts of it that I could understand😂. Basically, it sounds like it does come down to the transmission fluid issue and something to do with the computer codes. How much should a repair such as this cost if it is out of warranty? An you tell i have a trust issue with any other mechanic??

·
Administrator
14,921 Posts
I have a mechanic that is a friend of the family and he researched this problem for me when it first happened and said that everything he saw said the transmission fluid needed to be flushed and he did not have that piece of equipment. He said I needed to take it to the dealer.
NEVER flush a Honda transmission with a "power flush" machine - it may end up worse than it already is!

The method to flush a Honda transmission is to perform multiple drains and fills. Draining the fluid, filling, driving, and repeating this three more times will get out >90% of the old fluid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. Just to be clear, i don’t get a check engine light or anything. How much should something like this reasonably sent me back? Are we talking a couple hundred, $1000?

·
Administrator
14,921 Posts
Thanks. Just to be clear, i don’t get a check engine light or anything. How much should something like this reasonably sent me back? Are we talking a couple hundred, $1000?
Honda allows 12 minutes to update the software. They allow 1 hour and 24 minutes to flush the transmission. This does not include diagnostic time. Labor rates vary, but average $150/hr.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am new to this forum so if this has been covered I apologize. I have a 2017 Honda ridgeline and back in the fall I was using the Econ button for several weekend trips on the highway. I noticed later that fall that the transmission began skipping usually between 30 and 60 mph. I am finally taking it into the shop tomorrow, but Do not want to get taken advantage of since I am a woman. Any guidance or does anyone know of this problem?
Honda allows 12 minutes to update the software. They allow 1 hour and 24 minutes to flush the transmission. This does not include diagnostic time. Labor rates vary, but average $150/hr.
Thanks for all your advice. I took it to the Honda dealer this morning. They suggested to flush three times. Said a bulletin recently came out. They gave me a 10% discount totaled about $400.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts