Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
101 - 120 of 127 Posts

·
Administrator
22,414 Posts
Good explanation of the Ridgeline Econ button, thanks. When asked I was just wondering if it did anything like the Crosstour does by shutting of some of the cylinders. I realize the two systems work in different ways.

Seeing both the Crosstour and Rigdeline have basically the same engine, leads to to wonder. Why not use the Crosstour system in the Rigdeline or better yet use both systems in both vehicles? Just wondering.
The Ridgeline and Crosstour both shut off cylinders to save fuel - this is not something that can be turned off.

Unlike the Crosstour, the Ridgeline has an ECON mode that implies additional fuel savings - this can be turned off.

Both vehicles have VCM.

The Crosstour has a green "ECO" indicator that tells you when the engine is operating efficiently. The Ridgeline has an "Ambient Meter" that changes color depending on how efficiently you're driving. Both serve the same purpose - the goal is to light up the ECO indicator on the Crosstour and keep the Ridgeline's Ambient Meter green (as opposed to light green or white) as much as possible.

So, the Ridgeline technically has more fuel-saving technologies than the Crosstour.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The Ridgeline and Crosstour both shut off cylinders to save fuel - this is not something that can be turned off.

Unlike the Crosstour, the Ridgeline has an ECON mode that implies additional fuel savings - this can be turned off.
So Honda took my idea and put both systems in each vehicle. :grin: Nice to know how the vehicles I drive works.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2022 WBE in Southern Florida
1,750 Posts
Zroger, can you provide a reference for the lower fan speed of the cooling system? I can't seem to find that anywhere, and it doesn't make sense, since fan speed has nothing to do with economy that I can think of.

Thanks!

ECON mode in the Ridgeline does three things:

1. It reduces throttle sensitivity when the accelerator pedal is partially depressed. Fully depressing the accelerator pedal still results in... wide-open throttle regardless of the setting of the ECON mode. When ECON mode is on, the driver has to physically push the pedal farther to get the same amount of power which makes the vehicle feel sluggish even though it isn't.

2. It makes changes to the HVAC including a lower fan speed and reduced compressor run time (which results in less cooling and dehumidification).

3. It allows more variation in the speed of the cruise control so that it loses more speed uphill and resumes using less acceleration.

It sounds like you're confusing the Ridgeline's ECON mode with the Crosstour's ECO indicator.

The Crosstour's ECO indicator comes on "while the engine is operating in its most economical range". It doesn't have an ECON mode or button.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Quite welcome, Sir, glad I could help!

F6Hawk...great post above. Best explanation yet, for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
22,414 Posts
Zroger, can you provide a reference for the lower fan speed of the cooling system? I can't seem to find that anywhere, and it doesn't make sense, since fan speed has nothing to do with economy that I can think of.

Thanks!
It lowers the fan speed of the HVAC system, not the engine cooling system.

The shortened compressor run time results in higher evaporator temperatures which results in less dehumidification and higher outlet temperatures. To help offset this, the blower fan speed is reduced slightly to decrease air velocity and increase residence time in the evaporator to allow a higher percentage of water vapor to condense on the surface of warmer evaporator so that the cabin doesn't become too much like a rain forest.

A slightly slower fan speed also results in less current draw on the electrical system so the alternator doesn't require quite as much power from the engine which results in slightly better fuel economy.

From the service manual:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
I meant the cabin cooling system, not the engine.

Lowering the fan speed to cause the air to feel cooler (caused by the warmer evaporator coils) makes sense. But considering that a lower fan speed would equate to approximately 0.1 HP less work for the engine (which admittedly would lower gas mileage, but by a tiny amount), I would say it wouldn't equate to much of a savings. But I reckon a savings on paper is still a savings, eh?

Thanks for the explanation!

It lowers the fan speed of the HVAC system, not the engine cooling system.

The shortened compressor run time results in higher evaporator temperatures which results in less dehumidification and higher outlet temperatures. To help offset this, the blower fan speed is reduced slightly to decrease air velocity and increase residence time in the evaporator to allow a higher percentage of water vapor to condense on the surface of warmer evaporator so that the cabin doesn't become too much like a rain forest.

A slightly slower fan speed also results in less current draw on the electrical system so the alternator doesn't require quite as much power from the engine which results in slightly better fuel economy.

From the service manual:

·
Registered
462 Posts
On my 2008 Insight it did a TON of stuff....Including turning the AC compressor off at a red light. In the Memphis Heat/Humidity that was a non starter for me!

All i can tell is it take the bite out of acceleration in my Ridgeline.

When i look at the Econ button i cant but help and think of a Ren & Stimpy episode........

·
Registered
462 Posts
To this day, I still have "Don't whiz on the electric fence!', "What rolls down stairs alone or in pairs?", and Haggis MacHaggis stuck in my head.
Nothing like watching Ren & Stimpy for the first time with your cute curly headed 6 year old daughter only to hear Stimpy pontificate "One day, i believe, that everyone, everywhere will know the wonders of my nipples"! Fell out of my chair in HORROR AND LAUGHTER!

And the crazy horse worried about "Circus Midgets".

WHATTA Show!

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
2022 RTL-E Modern Steel with Gray interior
123 Posts
How many people use the eco mode? Do you like having the car turn off at every stoplight?
I leave mine in ECO mode, not sure how much it helps but it doesn't hurt and I don't see the difference. On the ESS at stoplights - one of my pet peeves that is defaults to "on" every time you turn the car off. One of my first additions was the installation of Idlestopper, I know you can turn the ESS of easy enough each time, it's the principle that I have to thanks to the nanny state:).

·
Registered
2022 Ridgeline Sport
121 Posts
How many people use the eco mode? Do you like having the car turn off at every stoplight?
Auto Idle Stop will come on whether you have ECON mode turned on or not - although I believe the engine will stay off longer when ECON is turned on.

Your options to disable Auto Idle Stop are: press the circle-A button every time you start the car (or on demand when you want to turn it off); get an "IdleStopper" device which will default it to off; or change the transmission drive mode from D to S Position (which keeps the revs up and uses even more fuel).

Despite having an IdleStopper, I had actually been turning it back on until recently. My commute does have me sitting at a lot of lights, so I figured the miniscule amount of fuel savings per day would eventually add up to something more meaningful. However, as the temps where I am have started getting over 90F, I'm thinking I'm going to have to go back to not using Auto Idle Stop - it gets too hot too quick. Plus the car will pretty quickly fire back up automatically anyways to keep up with the HVAC demands, so if it's not staying off for long, I'm not really saving much fuel, and now it's adding wear and tear to the battery/charging system and starter for basically no gain.

In other words, I'm literally a fair weather fan of Idle Stop 😋

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use them both unless I feel the need for speed. Here is what I got in my 2021 SPORT on a drive from Ft Lauderdale to Daytona. Attaching for proof. Personally, once you get used to driving in ECO, you can really feel the difference when you take it out of ECO.

FYI: Used adaptive cruise and kept it at the speed limit.

Attachments

101 - 120 of 127 Posts