Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I wondered when someone was going to bring this up. I sure as heck didn't want to do it. Didn't want to be branded as a troll.

But when the owner/founder does it ......

·
Registered
153 Posts
I don't question Edmunds report on the struts but I would like to know what kind of load they had in the truck. I hope that Honda checked the struts and determined why they failed.

After today I'll have over 22,000 miles on my Ridgeline and I use mine as a work truck. I go over rudded roads, fields, ditches and regular roads. I have not experenced any strut failure. My truck has not been overloaded when driving on these rough roads and fields.

I would like to know if any owners on the forum have had simular troubles with their struts.

Tiger

·
Registered
257 Posts
Interesting review. I think the bottom line is exactly how I feel about this truck when I bought it. I didn't buy it for " Off Road use" I bought it for 90% work and family time and trips up to the snow.

On the flip side, if your going to do some off roading, IMHO a stock vehicle is NOT the way to go. One has to modify to meet the demands of the road.

·
Registered
578 Posts
One thing you have to wonder: was this a brand new truck or was it a press vehical? If it was a press vehical with miles already on there, I could see that the wear was accelerated. On the other hand, if it was new, then... :(

·
Registered
105 Posts
Oh to to drive the balls off a truck that belongs to the company, then realize you messed it up big time............ so what to you do to save your skin "it was just a pleasant Sunday drive.......honest" Give me a break! A little lack of integrity here. Edmunds managers would be wiser to follow the science instead of fairy tales.

L

·
0 Posts
GaryP said:
Oh to to drive the balls off a truck that belongs to the company, then realize you messed it up big time............ so what to you do to save your skin "it was just a pleasant Sunday drive.......honest" Give me a break! A little lack of integrity here. Edmunds managers would be wiser to follow the science instead of fairy tales.
AMEN GaryP. AMEN!!!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I have to agree, something does not quite sound right. I doubt that any of the members of this site have had a strut failure, including those that do test the limits with reasonable off road use. If that is the case and this group has not damaged one of more than 4000 struts but their driver lost all four, something is not right with their test or tester. It would be very interesting to know if anyone has lost a strut, so please post your experience if you have.

L

·
0 Posts
Ultra-HOG said:
I have to agree, something does not quite sound right. I doubt that any of the members of this site have had a strut failure, including those that do test the limits with reasonable off road use. If that is the case and this group has not damaged one of more than 4000 struts but their driver lost all four, something is not right with their test or tester. It would be very interesting to know if anyone has lost a strut, so please post your experience if you have.
Hey U-H..I'm still "strutin" in style. :D

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yes, lets blindly assume that the editors did something wrong, to think otherwise would be to admit that the Ridgeline is not perfect.

Lets look in detail on how they drove the washboard. They drove at the smoothest speed which would mean the maximum cycle length for the shock absorber. Shocks work by damping movement, they do that by converting an up-down motion to heat.

Long shock (strut) cycles coupled with a lengthy test coupled with (assumed) high air temps and the result is that the shocks were creating more heat than they could dissapate.

This will happen with any car or truck at some point.

The question is if this point occurs within the coarse of normal driving which Edmunds is saying it does.

There are several options to Honda
1) ignore and blame driver error
2) redesign the struts to handle increased temps
3) redesign the struts to dissapate heat better

·
Registered
578 Posts
Whaleya said:
There are several options to Honda
1) ignore and blame driver error
2) redesign the struts to handle increased temps
3) redesign the struts to dissapate heat better

This assumes that there IS something wrong with the struts.
Like I said earlier in my post, an important aspect might be missing here. Was the truck new? Was the truck a press fleet vehical, etc. That too could be impacted. Everyone knows that press vehicals are beating to heck.

Now if something IS wrong, I would fully expect that honda need to fix the issue.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Ultra-HOG said:
It would be very interesting to know if anyone has lost a strut, so please post your experience if you have.
I had one replaced for making an intermittent noise, see post

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1444

I have to admit that when I was looking at the replacement parts sitting on the service bay counter, I was a bit surprised at their lack of "size". I was expecting something a bit more substantial. Perhaps this is a weakness that needs to be beefed up?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've had my Ridgeline in for service work on the struts because the lubrication wasn't properly applied. I started having problems after 4-5 thousand miles. I don't think the struts had to be replaced.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is a very bad report from Edmonds.

If their driver is lying and truly did abuse the vehicle which is what the service department believed ... Honda should sue him AND Edmonds.

If I was Honda I would immediately take a Ridgeline out into bad washboard and drive the bejeepers out of it and see if they could MAKE the struts fail.

If they cannot they should publicly challenge Edmonds and threaten legal action.

If the struts did indeed fail under normal washboard situtations akin to the Edmond's report then I may have to wait awhile on this purchase. Perhaps when Honda beefs up the struts.

Honda needs to address this ASAP.

PS: I found this report before it was posted here in a very casual search for RidgelinE information.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Oh this gets me, a quote from their review:

"With that mind we headed out to the same road with our long-term Toyota Tacoma crew cab. It's equipped with the TRD Sport package designed to give it improved performance"

How is that a fair test, we compared the Ridgeline to a Tacoma with a suspension that was modified for "improved performance"? How about trying that same rutted road/trail with a non-TRD/non improved performance Taco. Maybe it would pass just fine too but at least compare stock truck to stock tuck and not stock to modified package.

Though they really hit the nail on the head when Road Test Editor Brian Moody said:

"Its usefulness, flexibility and comfort have made me think this might be the perfect vehicle for a middle-class homeowner. I can easily use it every day and pretend it's a nice big sedan. But on those rare occasions I need a truck, it works for that, too."

It's a good all around vehicle, period.

·
Registered
993 Posts
something doesn't seem right about this failure. I think we would have heard about someone here with this problem by now if it was a wide spread problem.

I've been on wash board roads and my struts are fine.
I've been on rough BLM trails and my struts are fine.

Until I see more reports outside of this one incident, I think someone is embarrassed at Edmunds about a very stuipid thing they are responsible for and won't fess up.

·
Registered
511 Posts
So, if it turns out that the stock struts aren't very strong, are there aftermarket parts available that solve the problem? I've never priced struts before. Would this be an expensive upgrade?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts