Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased a RTL w/o Nav Ridgeline.
Upon leaving the dealership I noticed the passenger window would work down but not up from the driver switch panel.
I scheduled an appointmernt for the following Friday for that and a paint chip just in front of the driver step guard on the rear bumper.
I dropped off the vehicle for service.
Later that day, I was informed they could not find the fault.
30 minutes later, while the head tech was reassembling the dash, apparently a Molex plug contact was the cause of the window issue.
I picked the vehicle up, but they needed to bring it back to service because I had NO AM radio reception. I told them it was probaly due to the antenna not being hooked up. The tech confirmed that.
The next day more happened.
It started loosing other electrical functions.
No power windows, no directionals, no headlight, no wipers, no remote keyless entry, the gear shift indicator in the cluster stayed lite (P-R-N-D, etc) even with the vehicle off for 30 + minutes.
Has anyone else had these issues????
I believe they are all related to a voltage problem. (computers)
They've ordered a new harness that is due in tomorrow morning, Their Regional happened to be in today and they state he is helping with this matter. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
Someone had a problem like yours or very similar. I can't find the post but I'm sure someone will remember it.

I see you joined the ROC today. Welcome to the ROC. Search around, there is a wealth of information available here and everyone is so helpful.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Wow Ed Shuerger, Sounds like more than just one electrical gremlin at work there! Keep us posted on the outcome and welcome aboard. BTW, I've been to Largo six or seven times and really love the "Wing House" great food too!!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Wow that does sound like a major pain. Hopefully they will get you fixed up soon so you can really enjoy your vehicle.

Anyway, welcome to the club, I am sure when your truck is all fixed up you will have time to enjoy both it and the forums.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:D Good news so far.
The replacement harness arrived this morning, as anticipated. Honda wanted to replace the entire harness because the locking tab on the molex was broken (?) and would not lock onto to the fuse distribution block causing a voltage problem as I had expected. This would entail the removal of the entire dash as far as we could tell:mad: . I expressed, and the Service manager agreed, could cause a problem as far as putting it back with no rattles, etc ,on a new vehicle with only 400 miles on it. The Service Manager suggested just replaced the plug (Molex end), pin by pin, but had to wait for Honda to respond. 'Let's do that', I responded. Honda wanted to replace the whole harness!:( Image the task involved with that, let alone the problems I could have later. The Manager had to wait for the OK from his regional. After making 3 calls with no rsponce, beause he was in a meeting, he got the call approx 30 minutes later to Ok the fix.I picked up my Ridgeline tonight, all clean and ready and I feel tons better. What a difference compared to the Malibu I drove for 3 days, UGH. All appears to be working fine.
It's amasing just how much I missed driving a quality (cough?) vehicle!!;)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Ed Shuerger said:
:D Good news so far.
The replacement harness arrived this morning, as anticipated. Honda wanted to replace the entire harness because the locking tab on the molex was broken (?) and would not lock onto to the fuse distribution block causing a voltage problem as I had expected. This would entail the removal of the entire dash as far as we could tell:mad: . I expressed, and the Service manager agreed, could cause a problem as far as putting it back with no rattles, etc ,on a new vehicle with only 400 miles on it. The Service Manager suggested just replaced the plug (Molex end), pin by pin, but had to wait for Honda to respond. 'Let's do that', I responded. Honda wanted to replace the whole harness!:( Image the task involved with that, let alone the problems I could have later. The Manager had to wait for the OK from his regional. After making 3 calls with no rsponce, beause he was in a meeting, he got the call approx 30 minutes later to Ok the fix.I picked up my Ridgeline tonight, all clean and ready and I feel tons better. What a difference compared to the Malibu I drove for 3 days, UGH. All appears to be working fine.

I hope I have the honor of congratulating you for your actions. Congratulations:D

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I hope this works out for the best for you, if not you can probably have the harness replaced if the problem comes up again. Glad it is working now, at least you now get to enjoy your truck. Do you know how they rewired the new connection? Was it just pulling pins back and pushing them into a new connector?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Molex connector shells can be easily replaced if they have the right sized Molex pin tool. There's a finite amount of times the pins can go through this - I'd suspect it's a dozen or so - without degradation, but once should be no problem. If they used the right tool, and did the job correctly, it should last the life of the vehicle.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I used to work on the dash line as a student at Honda. Yeah its a big deal to take out that entire harness. I belive its the first thing to get installed on the bare frame. Good idea changing just the plug

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nov. 30 and all is OK.
:D

·
Registered
670 Posts
Hi Ed,

I am happy to hear that everything appears to be resolved to your satisfaction. Now, I hope you can enjoy your Ridgeline!

Cheers,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts