Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay folks. Please educate me on electric brake assist stuff. I am thinking of getting a TrailManor in the next year or so and would like to equip my Ridgeline with an electric brake assist controller. I know absolutely nothing about these devices. Any information concerning these devices would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The Trailmanor has electric brakes.

The Ridgeline is prewired for towing and for brakes. (with the trailer package)

This means that you will have a harness under the dash that can be spliced into a brake controller. You will need to buy a controller (I strongly suggest the Prodigy). It gets mounted on the lower dash on the right side. If you mount it on the left side your knee will be angry with you.

The brake controller controls the power flowing to the trailer's brakes. The higher the amps the stronger the trailer braking. The Prodigy gets a brake signal from the Ridgline (brakes ON or OFF). It uses that along with an internal acceleration sensor to determine how much braking the trailer should do. You can adjust the brake controller on the fly and there is a digital readout on the amps going to the trailer.

Any RV shop will be able to install it. The installation is just splicing 4-5 wires and screwing the controller to the dash. For the splicing don't trust the wire colors - they don't match between the Prodigy and the Ridgeline. - follow the instructions.

Since the Ridgeline is prewired, the brake+ wire already is wired from the dash to the 7pin connector in back.

Once you get the trailer you will need to adjust the brake controller to the trailer. Instructions are included with the controller.

I tow a trailer under 3000 lbs, so brakes aren't required, however I installed them anyways and it did keep me from a nasty accident!

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
21 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts