Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a 2017 RTL-T, just turned 50,000 miles. Yesterday, I was in my garage with my keys in pocket when my headlights came on and an electrical short sound began along with the dash lights flashing all error graphics. I jumped in, started it and drove around the block and multiple error graphics were displayed. So, I drove to the shop and they plugged in their code reader, and since the engine light was not on (they said), it read no codes. So, they put a larger scope on and said it was an electrical issue they could not repair and suggested an auto electric shop. Interestingly, when I started the truck to come home all was normal. Now two days later, still no issues...it's as if it never happened. Any one else experience this?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I personally would remove the battery cables, clean the terminals and connectors and reassemble. No scientific reason... just a no-dollar confirmation of the battery connections.

I will add... the first day my wife drove her new Accord to work, she called me after work to say the car was dead. No cranking, no lights, but the electric locks worked. I met her there, jump started it, and followed her to the dealer about ten minutes away. She drove it right into the Service Center and shut it off. They hooked up their electrical diagnostic tester which showed 100% charge. They started it and checked out various functions... everything checked out.

When it was home, I cleaned the battery terminals and cable ends and reinstalled them adding a couple shots of terminal protector. She never had a problem again. Go figure.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback guys. Could very well be the battery. I don't look forward to looking for it though, from reading other posts, it's not easy to access. Not sure where I would have it replaced since my local Sears is now out of business. Perhaps my Honda dealer?

·
Administrator
13,313 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. Could very well be the battery. I don't look forward to looking for it though, from reading other posts, it's not easy to access. Not sure where I would have it replaced since my local Sears is now out of business. Perhaps my Honda dealer?
The 100-month Honda-branded batteries are competitively priced and are much better quality than the factory batteries.

Replacing the Ridgeline's battery isn't difficult at all - just snap off the bulkhead cover, remove the air intake tube, disconnect the cables, and remove the two nuts holding the battery in place - it's a 15-minute job at worst.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate the good advice. I'll see what I can do....although I am not very mechanically inclined beyond changing my own oil/filters.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Look into TSB 18-010. I had a similar issue on my 2017 RTL-E and had the TSB performed and the issue hasn’t returned. The TSB covers checking connections in the alternator. Even out of warranty good dealers will still do TSB’s.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Batteries Plus also sells them and they'll hook up a temp when they swap batteries so the truck has constant power during the switch.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: Honda Dealer replaced the Keyless Access Control Unit. This is after the truck alarm went off and all the dash lights were going crazy with a clicking sound. I could not start it. Had to flatbed it to the dealer. The service adviser, Service Manager and tech had never seen anything like it. Day one they performed a master reset and said it was good to go. When I picked it up, I did not make it out of service area when it started again. Day two they worked with Honda Corporate flow charting all that could be occurring. They said all signs pointed to the keyless control unit. $740 later, I now have the truck back for 2 days, all OK so far. They also performed a comprehensive battery check and they said it came out strong and did not suggest replacing yet. I may still do this, but going to give it a few more days to evaluate.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, out of warranty. Thus is the first item needing work other than routine preventative maintenance. I did not purchase the extended plan, guess you would need to weight the price.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That module was also replaced in my truck. I didn’t mention it before because I thought it was a separate issue to the blinking dash lights. My alarm would just go off randomly, but mine was driveable after I reset it with the remote. If you do a search in 2g forums for “alarm” you will find a thread that multiple people complain about random alarm triggering and several people have had the keyless module replaced. It’s definately not an isolated incident with your truck. After the TSB for alternator connections and the keyless module I haven’t had alarm or dash light issues. The only other problem I have had since, is a transmission shift solenoid replaced.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for sharing. Wonder if it will end up being a recall, or if we just had a defective unit...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts