Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

· Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have the electronic nanny in our 2016 Subaru. I was not a fan at first, but after seeing it in action for a few months I am convinced that it has saved us from at least two car wrecks. I am seriously considering upgrading to a higher level package Gen 2 Ridge just to get the fancy Honda sensing suite.

So..To Electronic Nanny or not to Electronic Nanny? That is the question. Is the safety of your family worth the extra cash?

Just think guys, if you are trying to convince the wife (you know you will have to) of a valid reason to trade in your perfectly good Gen1, putting away your "Man Card" and pulling out the "Safety Card" might be your best chance of bringing home a new loaded Gen2.

· Registered
1,781 Posts
No interest from me. The insurance savings would have to cover the added cost and be recoverable in 4 years or less.

I'm confident in my driving skills having spent a bit of money at the track and being instructed to do so. AWD is all I require, and disc brakes. I'll handle the rest.

· Administrator
24,909 Posts
I've always been a supporter of both passive and active safety devices over the years (with the exception of those ridiculous automatic motorized shoulder belts in the 90s). The first car I owned had seat belts, but shoulder belts were optional and they operated independently. Nobody wore them. When their use became legally mandated, many people refused to wear them and some still do. Along came single-stage airbags that were as likely to cause injury as they were to save lives. Much-improved two-stage airbags were later introduced. Next, we had anti-lock brakes which allowed for steering during panic stops, although at the expense of increased stopping distance on some surfaces like snow or gravel (which has mostly been alleviated through smarter software). After that came stability control, which was a significant advancement. Now, we have collision mitigation/avoidance systems to help further prevent collisions. The latest semi-autonomous driving systems are simply easing us into fully-autonomous driving, which is certain to come. I think it'll be many, many years (probably not in most of our lifetimes) before that becomes a legal requirement, though.

To help protect the innocent from the guilty, I think the latest safety equipment should be legally required on all new vehicles. Safety shouldn't be an option only available to the wealthy. Some of the most risky and inattentive drivers on the road are the very young and the very old - two age groups that gravitate towards lower-cost transportation that may not include (or even have available) the latest safety equipment.

There will always be some people who think they're smarter or more capable than the electronic nannies (and sometimes that's true), but it only takes a split second loss of attention or misjudgment to claim the lives of innocent victims.

I will admit I truly believe there is also a downside to the latest safety technology - it creates a sense of complacency. Much like 4WD owners feel that "they can go anywhere without getting stuck", safety systems can cause drivers to become less attentive and rely too much on the safety features as an excuse to do things they should be doing.

Famous last words: "I can now safely text while driving knowing that my car will automatically keep in me in my lane or stop before I hit someone or another vehicle."

· Registered
970 Posts
The insurance savings would have to cover the added cost.....I'm confident in my driving skills....

Isn't everybody? EVERYBODY makes mistakes and anyone who thinks they don't make mistakes, just made one (thinking they don't). Maybe you are more skilled than most but no one is perfect and even the most skilled practitioners of any skill you can name screw up sometimes.

Unless you can prove that the features cause more problems than they fix (and don't give me single examples - they prove nothing - I am talking nationwide carefully conducted studies) then any extra measures that can be taken are probably better having than not having.

Take backup sensors. A friend of mine has a business associate that backed over and killed his own kid. Try telling him about skills vs. tech....

This argument reminds me of a study about multitasking where it turned out that the folks that thought they were the best at that were actually worse than average.

· Registered
1,781 Posts
Isn't everybody? EVERYBODY makes mistakes and anyone who thinks they don't make mistakes, just made one (thinking they don't). Maybe you are more skilled than most but no one is perfect and even the most skilled practitioners of any skill you can name screw up sometimes.

Unless you can prove that the features cause more problems than they fix (and don't give me single examples - they prove nothing - I am talking nationwide carefully conducted studies) then any extra measures that can be taken are probably better having than not having.

Take backup sensors. A friend of mine has a business associate that backed over and killed his own kid. Try telling him about skills vs. tech....

This argument reminds me of a study about multitasking where it turned out that the folks that thought they were the best at that were actually worse than average.
I've never caused a wreck in my life, sorry. I don't jack with the phone when driving. I don't eat while driving. My eyes are on the road and it's serious business. I also drive less now than I ever have because every idiot is on their phone while driving. That's who these systems are for. They are for a$$clowns who want to smartphone/Fakebook it while they drive.

How did I make it all this time without causing a wreck or depending on a computer nanny to save me?

I'm all for safety but due to the cost, I don't need these nannies. More complexity, more cost. You can have it.

· Registered
189 Posts
We have the electronic nanny in our 2016 Subaru. I was not a fan at first, but after seeing it in action for a few months I am convinced that it has saved us from at least two car wrecks.
If you would have had 2 wrecks in the "few months" without the electronic nanny, I'd suggest you brush up your driving and paying attention skills.

I won't argue whether they do more harm than good. I'd argue that I don't want them. I certainly don't want to pay any extra for them.

I raced for over 20 years. I also instructed for a marque club for a bit. I ride motorcycles and bicycle on crowded streets and have almost 1,000,000 street miles of accident free driving/riding.

Pay attention, leave yourself an out. Put down the phone.

· Registered
189 Posts
I hope none of you "perfect" drivers ever suffer a medical condition that results in loss of consciousness or get distracted by an angry wasp.
I have had a wasp fly down my shirt and inflict a fair amount of pain. That was fun. Actually thought somebody tossed a lit cigarette out their window that flew into mine.

As to the medical condition, I hope not. I can have all the nanny crap in the world on my car, but it isn't going to save me from getting rear ended by a drunk driver or T-boned by someone running a red light at 100mph. Reasonable measures should be taken to make our roads safer.

You want Honda to make safer vehicles? Make a truck that doesn't take 141 feet to stop from 60mph (worst in class in 2009) or can do a bit better than 57.5mph through a 600ft. slalom.

· Registered
35 Posts
[QUOTE

I'm confident in my driving skills having spent a bit of money at the track and being instructed to do so. AWD is all I require, and disc brakes. I'll handle the rest.[/QUOTE]

I have had some of these "nannies" on several vehicles. My motorcycle has ABS, and can modulate the brakes much faster than I can.

My car has stability and traction control. I am confident that it has been a critical component to avoiding accidents on several occasions.

I am no race car driver. Not even close. But, I know that there are many top-tier world-class drivers who are happy to show off their skills with no driver assistance. But, all agree that the computing power and decision making speed of these systems are superior to human reaction times.

No driver aid can overcome physics (or stupidity). But, with a competent driver who is paying attention, they widen the margins of safety.

All of my future vehicles will have all of the driver aids, and all of the safety and survivability equipment available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Registered
970 Posts
I've never caused a wreck in my life, sorry. I don't jack with the phone when driving. I don't eat while driving. My eyes are on the road and it's serious business...... You can have it.
I also do none of those things. I also hate those who do, but that is not the only cause of accidents. Humans are not perfect and despite every attempt not to, we all make mistakes. OK, most of us do - apparently you are the single exception on the planet.

Nice to meet someone who is perfect and never has made a single mistake in their life and never will.

Of course in 50 years it will not matter because all of this will be a thing of the past. The only human drivers will be on closed courses for sport. Car dealers will also go away because when you need a vehicle, you will use your phone (or whatever replaces it) to call the vehicle from a fleet of self driving vehicles. Since those will be bought by the thousands by large companies that provide the service, these will be bought direct from the manufacturers of those vehicles. No need for local dealers.

I for one would not miss the idiots on the road nor the car dealers (will anyone miss them?). Call it progress, call it whatever you want. It is coming and it cannot be stopped. The current safety equipment is just the start. Deal with it because soon you will have no choice, cars without this stuff will soon be illegal to drive or own outside of an antique car show.

· Registered
970 Posts
I have had some of these "nannies" on several vehicles. My motorcycle has ABS, and can modulate the brakes much faster than I can.

My car has stability and traction control. I am confident that it has been a critical component to avoiding accidents on several occasions......But, all agree that the computing power and decision making speed of these systems are superior to human reaction times.
No driver aid can overcome physics (or stupidity). But, with a competent driver who is paying attention, they widen the margins of safety.

All of my future vehicles will have all of the driver aids, and all of the safety and survivability equipment available.

Dead on right. Human reaction time is about .5 seconds (more or less). How much time does it take a computer? Measure that in milliseconds. It does not matter how good you are, you can not beat that.

· Registered
1,781 Posts

My car has stability and traction control. I am confident that it has been a critical component to avoiding accidents on several occasions.

I am no race car driver. Not even close. But, I know that there are many top-tier world-class drivers who are happy to show off their skills with no driver assistance. But, all agree that the computing power and decision making speed of these systems are superior to human reaction times.

My VFR has ABS and I wish I could remove it. Routine stop on my route and due to irregular pavement while hitting the brakes, the abs kicked in, let the wheel conitnue to turn while I was braking, and I almost high sided, came out of the seat. Same place the following day I took my R1, same exact spot, and I stopped in a shorter distance. Journos and plenty of track day riders (novices) can brake in a shorter distance than on the track. Numerous tests over the years with abs enabled, and with it disabled, and they were able to best the computer. Motorcycle abs is not the same thing as your 4 wheeler.

· Registered
1,781 Posts
I also do none of those things. I also hate those who do, but that is not the only cause of accidents. Humans are not perfect and despite every attempt not to, we all make mistakes. OK, most of us do - apparently you are the single exception on the planet.

Nice to meet someone who is perfect and never has made a single mistake in their life and never will.

Of course in 50 years it will not matter because all of this will be a thing of the past. The only human drivers will be on closed courses for sport. Car dealers will also go away because when you need a vehicle, you will use your phone (or whatever replaces it) to call the vehicle from a fleet of self driving vehicles. Since those will be bought by the thousands by large companies that provide the service, these will be bought direct from the manufacturers of those vehicles. No need for local dealers.

I for one would not miss the idiots on the road nor the car dealers (will anyone miss them?). Call it progress, call it whatever you want. It is coming and it cannot be stopped. The current safety equipment is just the start. Deal with it because soon you will have no choice, cars without this stuff will soon be illegal to drive or own outside of an antique car show.
I never said I was perfect so please don't put words in my mouth. That's your bs you are selling. Nobody is perfect and I never said I was.

I said nannies are not a requirement for me and I remain focused on driving/riding when I am. This deal is starting to sound like some liberal cult. "All vehicles should have all the nannies, people can't drive without them!!!"

Never mind the added complexity and cost. Everybody is just ****ting money.

Thanks for the laughs.

· Registered
5,700 Posts
I have a big bag of mixed feelings on these "helpers".

Intuitively, I truly believe the general driving population will become WORSE drivers, given their comfort/confidence in the presence of a crutch to keep them out of trouble; be this a conscious or subconscious condition.

BUT, I also recognize that SOME of these features are just as valuable as the advent of airbags (don't go there) or seat belts. The frontal collision avoidance schemes for instance (brake automatically).

AND, if the entire control of the car were managed by a near zero-fault system, and it were in ALL vehicles, I'd be fine with it.

BUT, any random scattering of various tech features that potentially instill false confidence in drivers, and that vary from vehicle to vehicle is NOT a good recipe for improved safety on our roads, IMO.

Think about those drivers that fall into that lull of no-worries, now driving a vehicle, not their own..... and without those features.

Think also about the victims of those drivers; drivers who feel shielded by their car's ability to shield THEM from danger, but who now don't pay enough attention to keep from creating road-havoc for the OTHER guy.

'Just makes me uncomfortable that the standards for the DRIVER are not being focused on; because until ALL vehicles are equipped with a LOT more automated safety systems than are presently available, it's all a crap shoot as to who benefits & who suffers.

Not a fan of the celebratory acceptance of these "nanny" features, as they have been so appropriately tagged. Heaven help us if we don't escape this "tween" zone of "automated driving features" fairly quickly. Defensive driving was never so important as it has become lately, and as I fear will become even more essential as we move forward into this new era of "my car will take care of me" mentality (while face is in phone).

Just one opinion.....

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,671 Posts
Alright guys, let's keep the discussion in check.

Regarding the nanny electronics, I suspect for better or worse, we can only expect more down the road, and probably mandated by the Feds (like killer airbags), whether we want them or not.

· Registered
970 Posts
Alright guys, let's keep the discussion in check.
Regarding the nanny electronics, I suspect for better or worse, we can only expect more down the road, and probably mandated by the Feds (like killer airbags), whether we want them or not.
I really am sorry to be so confrontational but the idea that these systems should be optional for "good drivers" just does not hold water. Reasons:

1) Study after study have shown that overall these systems save lives and work the vast majority of the time. They do more good than harm, those facts are beyond dispute.

2) You simply cannot have these systems disabled or removed or not installed for anyone who thinks or says they are a great driver. Maybe they are great drivers and maybe they are not but who decides this? More folks think they are good drivers than actually are, that is for sure.

This is a public policy issue. At it's core it is the age-old rights vs. safety issue that we see everywhere in society. Trust me, I am very far from a liberal but there are some issues where the government has to step in and mandate things.

We all draw the line in different places as is our right. For me the line is drawn where the actions or inactions of one person can seriously affect others. Examples:

1) Motorcycle helmets should not be mandatory - the only one hurt is the idiot not using them - that chlorinates the gene pool.

2) Vaccines should be mandatory because not using those affects huge numbers of innocents.

I would suggest that these auto systems are closer to #2 than to #1 which is why I am in favor of them.

But like any essentially political issue, everyone has a different opinion.

As far as the airbag issue, no tech is perfect but how many folks would be dead if there were no airbags?

Folks are probably getting tired of this subject and so am I so I will not be re-visiting this thread as it has been/is being beat to death and no one is going to be convinced anyway. This will be my last post on the subject so flame away.

In any case, it is back to "Where are all the G2 Ridgelines?" and other more current topics for me.

· Registered
296 Posts
This is a public policy issue. At it's core it is the age-old rights vs. safety issue that we see everywhere in society. Trust me, I am very far from a liberal but there are some issues where the government has to step in and mandate things.
This is the slippery slope that most people fall into. I like how the government recently decided that my health care was their business. They had to "step in" as you opined and "mandate" compliance via Obamacare.

This flawed thought process has brought us a gargantuan, Nanny-State federal government that has edged America towards a control freak nation where almost everything is illegal….

#1 One California town is actually considering making it illegal to smoke in your own backyard.
#2 In Louisiana, a church was recently ordered to stop giving out water because it did not have a permit to do so.
#3 In the United States it is illegal to operate a train that does not have an “F” painted on the front. Apparently without that “F” we all might not know where the front of the train is.
#4 In many U.S. states is it now illegal to collect rain that falls from the sky on to your own property.
#5 In America today it is illegal to milk your cow and sell the milk to your neighbor. If you do this, there is a good chance that federal agents will raid your home at the crack of dawn.
#6 In Washington D.C. it is illegal not to recycle cat litter.
#7 It is illegal to give a tour of the monuments in Washington D.C. without a license.
#8 In the United States it is illegal to sell natural cures for cancer – even if they work.
#9 In the state of Massachusetts it is illegal to deface a milk carton.
#10 In the state of Alabama, bear wrestling is completely illegal.
#11 In Fairbanks, Alaska it is illegal to give alcoholic beverages to a moose.
#12 In Lake Elmo, Minnesota it is illegal to sell pumpkins or Christmas trees that are grown outside city limits.
#13 There is a federal law that makes it illegal to be “annoying” on the Internet.
#14 If you register with a false name on MySpace or Facebook you could potentially “spend five years in federal prison“.
#15 In Hazelwood, Missouri it is illegal for little girls to sell girl scout cookies in the front yards of their own homes.
#16 All over the United States lemonade stands run by children are being shut down because they do not have the proper permits.
#17 In Florida, it is illegal to bring a plastic butter knife to school.
#18 In San Juan Capistrano, California it is illegal to hold a home Bible study without a “conditional use permit“.
#19 In the city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania it is illegal to make even a single dollar from a blog unless you buy a $300 business license.

The government's message is clear: politicians and bureaucrats know more about how to live your life, manage your health, raise your kids, and they also know that you can't drive as good as them, so they mandate an ever-increasing array of "safety" measures and equipment to make up for people's jackassery driving.

That's about it.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.