Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased an 06 RTL. First things first, stock system has to go. Upgraded the head unit to a Kenwood X693. From my previous car, I have a RF Punch 600a5 (yes, old school!) that supposedly will hold 200 W rms to the sub channel at a 2 ohm load. Unfortunately my JL 10W3D4 sub won't fit behind the rear seat, so I'm looking at shallow mount subs. In searching ROC.com, I see a lot of people are buying the Elemental Designs SQ10 and, by and large, are very happy with the performance. Now, I know that a higher price doesn't necessarily mean higher quality, but the price of the SQ10 ($110 regularly, now $70 on sale) raises a bit of suspicion when I look at other 10" subs and the prices are $130 and up. Granted, those prices are from Crutchfield (convenient search) and they're a little inflated, but still, the ED SQ10 would land $15 cheaper than their least expensive shallow mount sub from their outlet. Sooooo, what's y'alls take on the SQ10? Is there a catch? How's the ED going to stack up when compared to the JL that I have? Does anybody have any suggestions for other subs that will outperform the SQ10 if I’m willing to spend a bit more (less than $200), or is the SQ10 the shiz in that price range? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
The EDSQ 10 is pretty much the only thing that is shallow enough and seems to be the best bag for the buck. If you decide you want to sell that JL let me know as I'm looking for another one to do dual in my truck. I have the 10w3v2D4. If that's what yours in I would be interested in it maybe. I highly doubt the ED 10 is as loud as the JL. Especially since you need a very shallow sub and a very small box which means less air space. The under seat down firing boxes are much louder.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Recently purchased an 06 RTL. First things first, stock system has to go. Upgraded the head unit to a Kenwood X693. From my previous car, I have a RF Punch 600a5 (yes, old school!) that supposedly will hold 200 W rms to the sub channel at a 2 ohm load. Unfortunately my JL 10W3D4 sub won't fit behind the rear seat, so I'm looking at shallow mount subs. In searching ROC.com, I see a lot of people are buying the Elemental Designs SQ10 and, by and large, are very happy with the performance. Now, I know that a higher price doesn't necessarily mean higher quality, but the price of the SQ10 ($110 regularly, now $70 on sale) raises a bit of suspicion when I look at other 10" subs and the prices are $130 and up. Granted, those prices are from Crutchfield (convenient search) and they're a little inflated, but still, the ED SQ10 would land $15 cheaper than their least expensive shallow mount sub from their outlet. Sooooo, what's y'alls take on the SQ10? Is there a catch? How's the ED going to stack up when compared to the JL that I have? Does anybody have any suggestions for other subs that will outperform the SQ10 if I’m willing to spend a bit more (less than $200), or is the SQ10 the shiz in that price range? Thanks!
The biggest thing in car audio is your budget,how much are you willing to spend. Their are many alternatives to the Elemental Design subs. I personally like kickers and Memphis Audio which are a bit more expensive but you get what you pay for.

http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/what-up/the-spotlight/
http://www.kicker.com/comp_vt
The Memphis sound the best and hits the hardest out of the two but the Kicker is no slouch either. I haven't gotten ahold of the JL Audio shallow mounts yet I can't say anything about them.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Pioneer makes a nice shallow mount sub. JL Audio just came out with a shallow mount line but I don't know if they'll fit.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
The ED SQ10 is fairly priced. The problem with a lot of car audio is that it is OVER priced and sometimes massively overbuilt. A lot of car audio is designed for show in addition to performance. And you pay for it. Most of the ED drivers are no-nonsense designs and are priced accordingly.

The JL flat woofer is very impressive looking - but I haven't heard nor has anyone here used it (AFAIK).

Of course you could always use your JL 10W3 under the rear seat and get great sound from a component you like.

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
The ED SQ10 is fairly priced.
I can vouch for this. I know a little bit of the "behind the scenes" stuff about this speaker and it's sister speaker the Tang Band WT-1427G.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-862

The ED SQ10 and the speaker I mention are almost identical. I'm about 99% sure they even roll off the same assembly line. IMO ED is charging too much for the sub. Their sub should be about $80-$85 every day.

Do I think it is cheaply built or junk? That is not what I am implying. I have the Tang Band version of the ED sub in my truck. I used to be fairly active in the DIY home audio speaker building crowd and have been using Tang Band stuff for the better part of the last decade and have been extremely happy with the results.

ED and Tang Band are both manufactured in China but are both quality value priced "diamond in the rough" speakers. I personally like the driver. I'm sure that you won't be disappointed either. :)

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
I can vouch for this. I know a little bit of the "behind the scenes" stuff about this speaker and it's sister speaker the Tang Band WT-1427G.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-862

The ED SQ10 and the speaker I mention are almost identical. I'm about 99% sure they even roll off the same assembly line. IMO ED is charging too much for the sub. Their sub should be about $80-$85 every day.
:)
It's actually the same price that I paid over a year ago... $70... The price you may see here on the ROC for $139 includes a custom painted box with connector.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Is This TangBand the exact same product? I blew my SQ10 a few months back and am getting around to replacing it now. ED is not shipping these for 2 months. I may go the TangBand route.

Unless someone wants to sell their ED SQ10.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Is This TangBand the exact same product? I blew my SQ10 a few months back and am getting around to replacing it now. ED is not shipping these for 2 months. I may go the TangBand route.

Unless someone wants to sell their ED SQ10.
I am curious to know how you blew it. How much power were you running to it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.