Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had to make an power brake stop in the pouring rain.

On the commute home tonight Three cars infront of me had to slam on the brakes to avoid a rear end collision. I was fourth in line.

The volkswagon in front of me slid on the front wheels to the right with the slope of the road. probably about 8 feet. it was obvious that if we were going any faster it would have slid to a 180.

I had to push the brakes on the ridge as hard as I ever had to for any car or truck I have driven. I have to tell you it was like I was driving on dry tar. The ridge didn't even flintch. it held the road and it's path as though it was on dry road. Was it the tires? was it the antilock? the weight of the vehicle or just all combined?

I am totally impressed with what Honda has done here!

The VSA never had to assist!

On a side note, My wife has the 05 pilot, no brake assist, no VSA.

She raves on the difference on how the two react to different braking situations. Always she is raving about the ridge over the pilot as far as braking is concerned. That is not to say that the pilot isn't better than most other cars!!

·
Registered
579 Posts
I had a similar thing occur on dry pavement where I was SURE I was going to rear end the car in front of me. The ridge stopped so fast it surprised me. Almost scared me. It went from 20ish to dead stop NOW. I was shocked I didn't get popped by someone with less substantial brakes behind me.....

Whew!

Glad you avoided your potential crunch.

Maybe our insurance rates will come down once the safety of these vehicles is proven.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Thank goodness you all avoided an incident.

I had Trail BLazer who's ABS got a workout a couple of times (driving in Philly traffic UGH). It worked, hopefully Ill not have to use the Ridgeline's ABS, but if I do, I'll be glad I have it :)

It is difficult if you've driven before the advent of ABS to get used to the idea of just slamming on the brakes. I was taught way back when to pump pump pump to keep from locking up the wheels. ABS is great, but it takes actually THINKING about putting full force on the pedal.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hey Embo..

How do you like your Passat? When it first came out I was all about getting one (obviously haven't gotten one yet...)

I really like how the new one looks :)

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kellcut said:
Hey Embo..

How do you like your Passat? When it first came out I was all about getting one (obviously haven't gotten one yet...)

I really like how the new one looks :)
I once thought the passats were a good buy, We bought our son a 2000 last year only to find out they have a history of high maint as we learned.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
swampler said:
Glad you got stopped and avoided an accident. It's also good to hear how good the system works.

BTW, other than the flashing VSA icon on the dash, how do you tell when VSA is working? What does it feel like?
You will now, no doubt when it kicks in. I have been on the beach a bunch as soon as the vehicle slides laterally, it kicks in to apply brake and reduce power to specific wheel(s) to control "the slide" the noise it makes is how you know, (sounds and feels like a supersonic anitlock brake system kicking in) also when you give the truck gas with no response is the other indication. but the two symptoms work together.

Iam going to pull the 20 amp fuse for the VSA next time on the beach, I want to have power when driving in the soft sand. more likely to get stuck if the truck slows down on its own in certian situations.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I just had a similar experience on my way home from work today. Cruising at ~65 on a rain soaked highway (raining for a week straight) I started smelling gas. It looked from the color of the road as though someone was leaking lots of gas. Just then the Ford Explorer that was in the passing lane about 30' in front of me was coming into the lane in front of me and started going sideways. :eek: I immediately started breaking quickly and hit the 4 ways to alert people behind me (fortunately no one was too close). All the while I'm watching the Explorer go squirrely into the guard rail to the right first hitting the rear quarter then the front, bounce off spin counterclockwise 180 and head across both lanes into the concrete divider in the center of the road and come to a stop facing the wrong way. It was amazing seeing this unfold in front of me while I was in complete control the entire time in my Ridge. :cool: The Explorer guy was shaken but OK. Needless to say I took the Ridge to the car wash to hose the gas sludge off, then to the garage for a well deserved rest for the night.

·
Registered
964 Posts
lowrider90 said:
I once thought the passats were a good buy, We bought our son a 2000 last year only to find out they have a history of high maint as we learned.
I think they changed the body style with 2003? Did that make any difference in the maintence costs? I guess the biggest problem right now is they require premium gas, right? Ugh.

I'll stick with my Ridgeline :)

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
These are some heart stopping accounts. It's good to hear that several of you have positive results from potentially terrible situations. We had a couple of hard braking incidents lately that showed how fast it will stop on dry road, but neither were to avoid an accident.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I think if I were still in my old Toyota truck (95) I would have been spinning right along with mister Explorer.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
You know you almost never know how good it is to be in a safe vehicle until it saves your life. I also haven't been in many real accident avoidance situations, at least I don't think I have, the cars have just responded so well I sometimes think I wouldn't have been in an accident anyway, but if it had been an older car without all the features I probably would have been. I will say safety wasn't my number 1 priority when I bought the Ridgeline but it certainly was one of the deciding factors for the Ridgeline versus other options.

Glad you both came through so well.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Kellcut said:
I think they changed the body style with 2003? Did that make any difference in the maintence costs? I guess the biggest problem right now is they require premium gas, right? Ugh.

I'll stick with my Ridgeline :)
The 2003 model year was only a "freshening" of the front and rear. It was essentially the same car. I owned a 2000 top-of-the-line V6. It developed an unnerving engine oil warning light that would illuminate for no apparent reason. The on-board computer divulged no codes when taken for service. Since I couldn't trust it, I promptly traded it for a Maxima. VW has been plagued by quality control issues for at least 5 years. Their reputation has sunk to a new low. As good as the new Passat looks, I wouldn't trust it until I see quality improvements from VW (too many black dots on the Consumer Reports owners ratings).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts