Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
It is very easy to install. Once you get it over the hole in the right position it simply locks into place. I installed it with the key in it, so I could lock it down as soon as I had it positioned correctly. Takes a minute or two, depending how long it takes you to get it in the right position. I also found mine in the glove box and didn't know what the heck it was until I saw a video on this forum.

·
Registered
629 Posts
The original PDI 19-119 they left out the information on the tail gate cover, so thats why it is still in the glove box for some. The new PDI version 2, now addresses the tail gate cover is to be removed from the glove box and installed. Now you just have to find a dealer that actually reads the PDI.

For the OP with the blank cover, dealer will need to find a lock assembly and have a lock smith re-key to match his key. This might take some time for Honda to research all the needed parts. At least we have some good pictures now of what is needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
All 2020 Ridgeline trims have the power locking tailgate and should include the locking release cable cover.
10-4...found this out the more I've
The original PDI 19-119 they left out the information on the tail gate cover, so thats why it is still in the glove box for some. The new PDI version 2, now addresses the tail gate cover is to be removed from the glove box and installed. Now you just have to find a dealer that actually reads the PDI.

For the OP with the blank cover, dealer will need to find a lock assembly and have a lock smith re-key to match his key. This might take some time for Honda to research all the needed parts. At least we have some good pictures now of what is needed.
Correct. I spoke with dealer (parts guy) today and was told he found the part that he needed to order and it has the cover,lock(with key),and spring clip all together and assembled. Thats how they sell it. I told him thats not how it was supposed to come. Its supposed to be keyed to my truck key so one key can access glovebox and trunk...etc. he agreed and said they would need to find a locksmith once the parts get in early next week. They thing that worries me is the key we have has those reverse type groves that are on the inside of the key. I dont know if the lock on this cover will allow for this type of key.

·
Registered
189 Posts
So, after reading this thread, I looked at my RL and sure enough the cover was missing. I found it in the glovebox as others have. I installed it and then called the dealership to let them know. Hopefully, this will save others a few minutes of their time.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So, after reading this thread, I looked at my RL and sure enough the cover was missing. I found it in the glovebox as others have. I installed it and then called the dealership to let them know. Hopefully, this will save others a few minutes of their time.
Good to hear! A little update on mine...the dealership ordered the part and was able to re-key it to my factory key(instead of using the keys that the kit came with). Now all is well. I showed them the Service Bulletin, they had never seen it:confused:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just noticed that at the 1:45 minute of that video it shows the keyfob. It appears to have 4 main buttons (plus the panic button). There is the lock, unlock, remote start and then a fouth button. What is the fourth button? My 2017 only has 3 main buttons.
Mine has four buttons. Lock, Unlock, Remote Start, and panic button.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just picked up my 2nd Ridgeline on Saturday. It is a 2020 RTL-E. In the glove box there is a hard black plastic lid of some sorts. It is about 3 inches square with two corners rounded off. It has a locking mechanism that works with the hard key in the starting fob. It is kind of like a locking gas cap, but of course it is not; this truck does not even have a gas cap. I called the dealer and they tried to tell me it goes to the trailer hitch. I went out to check and that is not true either! Does anyone else have one and what the heck is it for???

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Somebody posted a picture of a keyed cover that goes over the tailgate emergency release (2020 locking tailgate). Is that what this would be?

·
Registered
19 Posts
TailDag, I just figured that out, thanks. Don't know why the dealers do not install it and brief you on what it is for. I guess it is to prevent a thief from just reaching up into the hole and pulling down on the wire, which would "unlock" your trunk, if you you had previously locked it. I never locked the trunk on my old 2006 and do not plan to start now. Hell, most people can not even open the tailgate and do not have a clue that there is a "trunk" under there. But, then again, there are smart crooks out there! Thanks to all that replied.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
30 Posts
Installing that lock box is one of the dealers pre-delivery items that is supposed to be done.

There is also an attachment w/ all of the pre-delivery checklist items - you may want to check your tire pressures also and see what else they missed....

Moderator Note: Threads Merged

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
359 Posts
In case anyone is keeping track, I had the same story as everyone else. I figured I'd eventually figure out what this random part was doing in the glovebox.

I was trying to figure out how to lock the tailgate, watched the video and went aha!

I didn't blame the sales guy because I was trying to get out of the dealer,I just traded in my 2017 and I didn't think I needed to sit through a new car walk through and told him we can skip it. Not so sure he would have known even if I didn't

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I had to call the dealership when I found this part in my trunk. They told me where it goes, but I just don’t understand why you would need it. Anybody have a clue?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Otherwise anyone can pull open your tailgate, even if it is locked.

2020+ Ridgelines have power locking tailgates. In the event power is lost(battery dies) or the solenoid does not activate. To access the pull, it requires using the key from the key fob, inserted into the cover to remove the plate(at bottom underside of tailgate), exposing the pull cord (just like inside a sedan trunk) to open your tailgate.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts