Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All.

I did a quick search on this and didn't see anything relevant. So here goes.....

I have a 2010 RTL with about 78K on it. On the way home today from about 2 hours out of town, just as I was accelerating to prepare to pass someone on a two lane, BOOM the Emission's Warning light came on. It's on the tach guage. My wife dug around in the manual to figure out what it was. That took a bit. Meanwhile the truck began to immediately run rough and lost some power.

Once we determined it was the Emissions light and the manual indicated it should be OK (with some reservations of course) I continued home. It ran rough the whole way and the light continued to flash. I was afraid to turn off the engine for fear she might not fire again and I'd be stranded.

So.......as soon as I got home, I shut it off and immediately refired it. Boom. Light gone. Engine running great. I took it for a little test drive, no issues. Any ideas????

Also, I have an appointment to get tranny and differential fluids replaced Tuesday. I'll run this up the flag pole with them then too.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep. I actually stopped to check that and it was....

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Wild guess Cat.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,376 Posts
Get a code reader it may say it's the cats, but there are threads on here where the upper A/F sensor (O2 sensors) have failed, and if ignored ultimately cause Cat failures

Honda will want to replace cats & all 4 sensors at once

Search O2 Sensors, I'll try to add to this post later, if I have time

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,860 Posts
If it's cats, they are under the 80k mile warranty. You might get lucky.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would a CAT or O2 sensor be something intermittent or transient in nature like that warning light? Also, would a failed cat cause the engine to run a bit rough and lose power? I assume an O2 sensor could if it messed up the ratio of oxygen to fuel in the engine. But if it was something permanent, then why would the light clear when I shut it off and restarted it? Plus, it ran just perfect after that as well.

Darn cars!!! I hear you on the warranty though!!!

I'll be sure to mention it at my appointment tomorrow either way.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Bobcat. A loose plug would cause an emissions light to go on? Anything is possible I'd guess. The thing is......it cleared totally and purred once I turned it off and restarted.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,860 Posts
Have you noticed any clicking/ticking sound at all?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope. Other than the bomb my wife put in my shorts.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got back from the dealer. The truck did NOT store the code from the little episode. Dealer says that occasionally that happens. So now we wait and see if it happens again. At least we're on record as having an emission issue (possible) prior to 80K so that should help with warranty questions. Thanks all for your help.

BTW, I did not re-torque the plugs. I wasn't exactly sure how to remove the plastic cowl at the top of the engine to get to them. It seemed like just twisting those two obvious screws would do it, but with my luck, there are probaby 6 others and I'd lose 4 of them.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,376 Posts
Nope, it's just those little plastic screws, 1/4 turn and then the remainder is held in with clips into rubber grommits FWIW

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
BTW, I did not re-torque the plugs. I wasn't exactly sure how to remove the plastic cowl at the top of the engine to get to them. It seemed like just twisting those two obvious screws would do it, but with my luck, there are probaby 6 others and I'd lose 4 of them.
Courtesy of speedlever in another thread.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Holy socks. So it's not just pulling that cover, then popping off plug wires and re-torquing the plugs?

Looks fairly simple, but it also looks like something I could screw up.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
It is a fairly simple and straightforward task and, for the record, there are no plug wires. The coils take the place of plug wires.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK. So maybe it's not as bad as it seems.

: )

I'll give it a shot tomorrow during the daylight.....but so help me if I LOSE a screw.......I'll come looking for ALL of YOU!!! :act030:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts