Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

81 - 100 of 171 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
I've decided to start running Seafoam through mine every ?,??? miles (anyone have a knowledgeable opinion based on facts ?). Dumped it in for first time Monday afternoon 5/20. I have around 24k on mine. It seems like it has more pep but time will tell once I run it.
I'm thinking if you use any top tier gasoline you will achieve the same results.

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
566 Posts
I've decided to start running Seafoam through mine every ?,??? miles (anyone have a knowledgeable opinion based on facts ?).
Dumped it in for first time Monday afternoon 5/20. I have around 24k on mine. It seems like it has more pep but time will tell once I run it.

Steve
Because of this thread, I’ve decided to use Seafoam or some other fuel system cleaner once per year. I used to do that many years ago when gasoline was not as good/clean as it is now and I could always tell a difference. I don’t expect to see any difference now but hope it will prevent an injector problem

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got the warning for 2 days, now it is gone. I'm at 51k and JUST learning about all of this.
QUESTION: If I try an fuel based injector cleaner now, and an injector cleaner through throttle body, as they start to work, will the dislodged carbon hurt anything? Catalytic converter for instance.

Planned new maintenance schedule:
  • only use tier-1 gas from now on (was using cheap 7-Eleven or independant)
  • add red line injector cleaner once every 4th fill up or so.
  • add injector cleaner through throttle body just prior to oil changes.
  • hope for the best.
Thanks!

·
Administrator
14,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #84 (Edited)
First, welcome to the Ridgeline Owners Club, @Campbed!

Now, there are dozens, if not hundreds, of potential issues that can cause an "emissions system problem".

However, there are two common causes in the second generation Ridgeline so far.

The most common cause is due to worn injectors caused by metallic debris left behind during the manufacture of the injectors and/or high pressure fuel pump. There's nothing you can pour into the engine or fuel tank that will delay or prevent this. If it's going to happen it's going to happen. The solution is to replace the injectors and fuel rail at a cost of $1,500 - $2,000.

The second most common cause is a software issue that causes the ECM to believe a catalytic converter has failed. The solution is a software update. Again, nothing you pour into the engine or fuel tank will prevent this.

I suggest you read the following thread:

·
Registered
3 Posts
2019 Ridgeline with 750 miles... check emissions light on. I have an appointment with Honda tomorrow. I'm not super happy that my brand new truck already has a problem. I'll post their response tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,286 Posts
Thought they were capless systems?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,286 Posts
(S)he probably meant "bad fuel filler". :)
I haven't checked out the fuel filler on the G2 RL. Are there user replaceable parts there?

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Got an engine light 17k ......... So ... I think "That's weird" maybe a program update needed? ......... looked online .- Nope

Hmmmmmmm ........ So, I run a diagnostic, get the error code P0430 .......... Catalytic converter not reaching efficiency threshold .........

In other words, not working correctly. This is warranty , take it to the dealer and they play with it for 3 hours and state "we got it fixed"

3 hours later error code is back ........ So I run a diagnostic ............ Same error code ......... BUT . . . Having the type of obd tool I have it will tell you if they cleared the error code without fixing the problem. They did .............. Bad thing to do.

I called the Service manager @ the dealer and gave him a reality check. When I bring it in either fix or replace ..... no other choices. ....... I highly recommend having an OBD 2 worth the money (42 bucks)

I'll update as more unfolds............

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,135 Posts
WOW, just trying to kick you down the road and push you past warranty coverage.

Moderator Note: Thread Merged

·
Registered
72 Posts
Got an engine light 17k ......... So ... I think "That's weird" maybe a program update needed? ......... looked online .- Nope

Hmmmmmmm ........ So, I run a diagnostic, get the error code P0430 .......... Catalytic converter not reaching efficiency threshold .........

In other words, not working correctly. This is warranty , take it to the dealer and they play with it for 3 hours and state "we got it fixed"

3 hours later error code is back ........ So I run a diagnostic ............ Same error code ......... BUT . . . Having the type of obd tool I have it will tell you if they cleared the error code without fixing the problem. They did .............. Bad thing to do.

I called the Service manager @ the dealer and gave him a reality check. When I bring it in either fix or replace ..... no other choices. ....... I highly recommend having an OBD 2 worth the money (42 bucks)

So, out of curiosity, what is make and model of your OBD II device?

·
Premium Member
141 Posts

BTW -
Got a call from Manager of the Dealership today, apologizing for the tech's actions, set an appointment and stated he is giving a free rental car until they have it corrected. I take it in next Wed. The Mgr kinda know each other, (Hawaii it is like that eventually you know most people) he knew I am not rookie with motors.

Either way, unexpected and quite responsible.......... That ... is what REAL service is about. Hats off to the Tony Dealership

·
Registered
2 Posts
New-to-me ridgeline owner here. 2018 RTL with 18k miles. Have only had the car for three weeks and yesterday i got the "emissions system problem" and took it to the local Honda dealer. They called me this morning and the service advisor said they replaced the "injector". I'm hoping this means they replaced all six but i will report back after a bit to see if the issue is resolved.

·
Administrator
14,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
New-to-me ridgeline owner here. 2018 RTL with 18k miles. Have only had the car for three weeks and yesterday i got the "emissions system problem" and took it to the local Honda dealer. They called me this morning and the service advisor said they replaced the "injector". I'm hoping this means they replaced all six but i will report back after a bit to see if the issue is resolved.
The injectors come as a flow-matched set of six. Honda doesn't provide or sell the injectors individually.

81 - 100 of 171 Posts