Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

141 - 160 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Its unfair to those that paid for the injector replacement. Hopefully Honda will come up with a revision for repayment. They have done this in the past but many, many years later. CRV A/C compressors and Accord rear brakes come to mind.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dropped of my 2017 RTL-T at the dealer this morning with P219b code. Truck has 54,000 miles. Dealer called a few hours later and said they would cover the cost of the fuel injector/rail replacement under the 60,000 mile powertrain warranty. Didn't have to argue at all. Pleasant surprise.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Today I took my truck in for the dreaded "emission systems problem" error code P219B. Truck has 58,400 miles so it was covered under basic 60,000 power train warranty. My cost would have been $1,600. The service writer showed me the $1,147 bill they were sending to Honda. PS: he also told me that just this week Honda has extended the warranty to 90K miles or 96 months for this repair. Obviously they know they have a problem with this engine.

I've driven a Ridgeline for 14 years now (2006, and now 2017). This is the first time I've experienced this level of repair needs. I'll be watching closely for the problem to show signs of reoccurring.

Semi-happy owner. Happy I didn't have to pay for the repair, but unhappy my truck failed!

·
Administrator
14,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
The service writer showed me the $1,147 bill they were sending to Honda. PS: he also told me that just this week Honda has extended the warranty to 90K miles or 96 months for this repair. Obviously they know they have a problem with this engine.
Injectors are not covered under the 5/60 powertrain warranty. They are covered under the 3/36 new vehicle limited warranty, the 7/70 California emissions warranty, or up to 8/120 if you have Honda Care.

Both TSB's that deal with this issue (18-025 and 19-073) still indicate that the "normal warranty applies" (each time someone claims otherwise, I always pull the TSB's directly from Honda to see if they've been updated).

Either way, I'm glad that you didn't have to pay. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Add me to the stats...
Emissions light came on right at 40,000, took to the dealership in Nashville/Franklin, TN
They quoted me $2,000 repair cost for (6) fuel injectors out of warranty.
Luckily I read this forum and was ready for the bad news. I asked the dealership to ask the Honda rep for this area for a reconsideration.
Today is Saturday so I will need to wait until Monday to hear back. The kicker is that this emissions light came on before 35K (last month) and before i could get it to the dealership it cycled off. I asked them if the Computer in my car had a record of this and the dealership said no, the system does not record.
So this will be a true test if ”he said, she said” ..I will let everyone know if Honda does the right thing.

PS-I’m not thrilled that this dealership quoted me $2,000 for the repair, when all other numbers I have seen in this forum are between $1,100-1,700.
I for sure took the guy by surprise when i asked for a reconsideration.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Unfortunate that the dealer is so inflexible.

Perhaps if you wold have taken a picture of the light with the mileage visible, your case would be stronger.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I had the 219 code come on two weeks ago while out of town. Hooked up my BlueDriver and cleared codes. Two weeks and four hundred miles later still off

·
Administrator
14,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
I had the 219 code come on two weeks ago while out of town. Hooked up my BlueDriver and cleared codes. Two weeks and four hundred miles later still off
Might wanna get that documented with the dealer. Chances are it will return.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
71 Posts
Had that same problem, used a OBD and reset it, came back two days later. Repeated the process and installed a VCMuzzler, it has not been a problem for the last 5 weeks. I am not claiming it fixed the problem, just pointing out what I did.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Although mentioned previously in the thread, the code will reappear for sure. I had it go 500+ miles before it came back. If you have an OBD reader that does LIVE data, you will most likely be able to see which bank of cylinders is running rich or lean.

Look for the short term and long term fuel trim data. The short term trim will be off on one of the two banks (On my Autel, it shows a positive or negative vs the base line of 0.0% on fuel trim). Anything consistent past a negative or positive 3-4% is out of spec. Codes P219A rear bank or P219B front bank. Injector issue but as noted in the thread, warranty to 70k in some states and even if not, Honda will usually do 80% of the $1,500-$1,700 fuel injectors and rails replacement.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Add me to the stats...
Emissions light came on right at 40,000, took to the dealership in Nashville/Franklin, TN
They quoted me $2,000 repair cost for (6) fuel injectors out of warranty.
Luckily I read this forum and was ready for the bad news. I asked the dealership to ask the Honda rep for this area for a reconsideration.
Today is Saturday so I will need to wait until Monday to hear back. The kicker is that this emissions light came on before 35K (last month) and before i could get it to the dealership it cycled off. I asked them if the Computer in my car had a record of this and the dealership said no, the system does not record.
So this will be a true test if ”he said, she said” ..I will let everyone know if Honda does the right thing.

PS-I’m not thrilled that this dealership quoted me $2,000 for the repair, when all other numbers I have seen in this forum are between $1,100-1,700.
I for sure took the guy by surprise when i asked for a reconsideration.
The code WILL be stored even if the CHECK ENGINE light goes off. The only way it would not be is if you CLEARED it with an OBD tool. So the code is there...Always worth owning even a basic $25 OBD reader to be able to confirm before going to the dealer. Start a case# with Honda Customer Service and ask for at least 80% coverage.

I did the case# call on my 2017 but being in NY, it was no hassle as we a California emissions state and covered to 70,000 miles (mine were replaced at almost 68k, so I just made it). The replaced injectors and rails went great but between the 'shaky' torque converter on the 6 speed and hyper active VCM behavior, I decided to go to a 2020 which was less than a $16k delta to upgrade (due to super aggressive pricing on 2020s coupled with the high trade value of a 2017 - even at 70k miles when I traded it).

·
Registered
2017 honda ridgeline
3 Posts
Sell it! You're going to have more problems with it. Get something for it while it has some value.

I'm selling mine because of the injector issue. Failed just out of Warranty and waiting to hear what if any kind of deal they'll give me on the job.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,582 Posts
Sell it! You're going to have more problems with it. Get something for it while it has some value.

I'm selling mine because of the injector issue. Failed just out of Warranty and waiting to hear what if any kind of deal they'll give me on the job.
Can you provide a bit more narration to your experience so we may have some context?

·
Registered
2017 honda ridgeline
3 Posts
Can you provide a bit more narration to your experience so we may have some context?
Sure, I had the emissions warning about 2 moths ago. I was just out of warranty like 1500 miles. The dealership is really good to deal with. They didn’t know if Honda would cover this known problem and I was looking at 1500 Canadian dollars to have it fixed. I’m in the dealership as we speak. Honda has agreed to fix it under warranty. Do I am happy and I do like the truck/car but I’m questioning the quality of the product.
2 recalls 1 minor warranty heater fan replacement and now this.
I’m a little sour on Honda considering my last 3 vehicles I drove for 150k miles over 5 years and only had to do brakes and tires on them. Toyota’s and a Nissan.
If Honda has not covered this I would have never even considered another honda! Plus I would be trading it in ASAP.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Add another to this list. Emissions warning came on @27,000 miles. Fuel injectors replaced under warranty. Glad this happened before the 3/36000 was up. 2018 RTL-E purchased 09-2017.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had the emissions warning come up three times. The first time they just cleared the code, the second time they did the firmware update. Now they told me they will replace injectors no charge even though it is now just over the three year warranty

141 - 160 of 171 Posts