Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Coming to work this morning and the "emissions system problem" light came on. I am at 9700 miles, anyone have this happen yet on G2?

thx
This has happened to some owners who have installed devices intended to keep the engine from running in 3-cylinder mode due to VCM. If you haven't installed such a device or don't know what that is, then it's time for a visit to the dealer to diagnose and repair the problem under warranty.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This has happened to some owners who have installed devices intended to keep the engine from running in 3-cylinder mode due to VCM. If you haven't installed such a device or don't know what that is, then it's time for a visit to the dealer to diagnose and repair the problem under warranty.

Thanks. No aftermarket stuff so have an appt Monday morning. Other thing I noticed is the dash outline light stays white now no matter what throttle position is.

·
Super Moderator
12,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Other thing I noticed is the dash outline light stays white now no matter what throttle position is.
Hmmm. Maybe I should break something on my engine that causes a check engine light. It doesn't really bother me too much, but it would be nice to disable that feature like I could on my CR-V through the touch screen. The Ridgeline doesn't give us that option. I've been driving long enough to know when I'm driving efficiently or aggressively - I don't need a light show below my line of sight telling me this. :)

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
My dealer could not figure out what was causing the check engine light and emission problem message and had to call tech support on Saturday. It kept my Ridgeline as tech support instructed it cannot be driven. I'm in a loaner (CRV) for the week while we wait for a new fuel pump and relay to be shipped from CA. Hopefully that will cure what ails my truck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dealer could not figure out what was causing the check engine light and emission problem message and had to call tech support on Saturday. It kept my Ridgeline as tech support instructed it cannot be driven. I'm in a loaner (CRV) for the week while we wait for a new fuel pump and relay to be shipped from CA. Hopefully that will cure what ails my truck.
Did it cure things? My dealer said they couldn’t do anything since the error had cleared by the time I got there. It’s now gone back on and off twice since. Currently on but can’t get to dealer this week.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Can you please point me to the threads and specific instances of this? I'm running a VCMuzzler II and have over 16k miles - I've been running with the device installed since 1000 miles on the odometer. I would think shutting down cylinders would be what would cause an emissions problem. I'd like to know who and how many have actually had this problem and if there's proof that even running with this device WAS the ACTUAL CAUSE of the issue. Has it been diagnosed definitively?? Thanks..

·
Registered
463 Posts
Can you please point me to the threads and specific instances of this? I'm running a VCMuzzler II and have over 16k miles - I've been running with the device installed since 1000 miles on the odometer. I would think shutting down cylinders would be what would cause an emissions problem. I'd like to know who and how many have actually had this problem and if there's proof that even running with this device WAS the ACTUAL CAUSE of the issue. Has it been diagnosed definitively?? Thanks..
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/169-2g-accessories-performance-parts-modifications/139297-vcmuzzler-ii-disabling-vcm-faq-s.html

Q. I’ve been using the VCMuzzler II for a while now and all of a sudden I got a CEL. What happened?
A. It could be your cooling system has changed slightly and you have the P0128 error. It may also be that the ambient temperature has dropped due to the seasons and this has affected your operating temperature. However, it might be another error completely unrelated to the VCMuzzler II. You should read the code if you have a reader or get it read for you for free at an auto parts store. If it is the P0128 code, it may just have been an anomaly and it may clear again on its own after a while. If it doesn’t, you may have to change to a lower resistance. If it is a different code than P0128, then you’ll have to address whatever the code is telling you.

----

Using too much resistance will cause the Emissions System CEL error when the outside temperatures drop. This happened to me, just dropped down to next lower resistor, problem solved.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just happened to me last night. No after market items either. I am at 19500+ miles. I called my service rep and will be taking it in Monday morning. Will post what they find.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Happened to me last week. I have 14,000 miles on my RTL-T and when driving the engine light came on with "emission system problem". I took it to the dealer the next morning and they said it required a "systems update" to clear. It's been a few days now and the warning light has not returned. Also, just fyi, the dealer had a coupon for a free oil change on your first visit, so even though I change my own oil at 5,000 mile intervals, I decided to let them do it. Big mistake....I get home and check the dipstick and it only registered at the "min". Also leaked about an ounce on my garage floor. I immediately took it back and the service advisor said the oil filter had a pinched gasket. Well, my thought is that the guy changing it spilled oil out of the filter all over the under carriage like I did on my first DIY change. They fixed it but it dripped on my floor for a few days. I had to get under it and make sure all was tight and clean, now OK. I will never take it back for another oil change....only self changes for me.

·
Super Moderator
12,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, just fyi, the dealer had a coupon for a free oil change on your first visit, so even though I change my own oil at 5,000 mile intervals, I decided to let them do it. Big mistake....I get home and check the dipstick and it only registered at the "min". Also leaked about an ounce on my garage floor. I immediately took it back and the service advisor said the oil filter had a pinched gasket. Well, my thought is that the guy changing it spilled oil out of the filter all over the under carriage like I did on my first DIY change. They fixed it but it dripped on my floor for a few days. I had to get under it and make sure all was tight and clean, now OK. I will never take it back for another oil change....only self changes for me.
Call Honda Automobile Customer Service at (800) 999-1009 and report this.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just happened to me last night. No after market items either. I am at 19500+ miles. I called my service rep and will be taking it in Monday morning. Will post what they find.

Dealer said mine required a system update. So far so good!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Happened to me last week. I have 14,000 miles on my RTL-T and when driving the engine light came on with "emission system problem". I took it to the dealer the next morning and they said it required a "systems update" to clear. It's been a few days now and the warning light has not returned. Also, just fyi, the dealer had a coupon for a free oil change on your first visit, so even though I change my own oil at 5,000 mile intervals, I decided to let them do it. Big mistake....I get home and check the dipstick and it only registered at the "min". Also leaked about an ounce on my garage floor. I immediately took it back and the service advisor said the oil filter had a pinched gasket. Well, my thought is that the guy changing it spilled oil out of the filter all over the under carriage like I did on my first DIY change. They fixed it but it dripped on my floor for a few days. I had to get under it and make sure all was tight and clean, now OK. I will never take it back for another oil change....only self changes for me.
Pinched gasket? Doubtful. What was more likely is that the gasket from the old filter stayed on the oil filter housing when it was removed. I always told my techs to wipe the oil filter housing to clean it and to make certain the old gasket wasn't still there. You'd be surprised how often the old gasket adheres to the housing. As for the oil dripping afterward, Honda put the oil filter in exactly the wrong place (right over the engine cross-member). It's really difficult to completely clean up all of the oil that leaks on it. I had some spots for days in my driveway after I changed my oil last, and I thought I had gotten it all clean. There's no excuse anyone with a lift to leave old oil on the cross-member. Most dealerships are equipped with spray solvent cans to clean up any residual oil under the vehicle.

·
Registered
217 Posts
It happened to me on my wife's Highlander. The dip, that changed the oil, pinched the gasket into two pieces. I saw it when the tech took it off. They sent a fellow out to my house and cleaned my carport. Took him about one hour.The Highlander could not have had more than 2-3 quarts left in the pan. No problems though.

·
Super Moderator
12,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For those of you who had the "Emissions System Problem" message and received a software update, do you know what code(s) appeared or was there a reference to a TSB number on your paperwork?

TSB 17-036 covers all 2016-2017 Pilots, all 2017 Ridgelines, and all 2018 Odysseys.

SYMPTOM
The MIL comes on with DTC P0430 (front bank catalyst system efficiency below threshold [Bank 2]).

POSSIBLE CAUSES
The PCM software may misinterpret sensor inputs as a deteriorated catalytic converter.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Update the PGM-FI software.

·
Registered
138 Posts
For those of you who had the "Emissions System Problem" message and received a software update, do you know what code(s) appeared or was there a reference to a TSB number on your paperwork?

TSB 17-036 covers all 2016-2017 Pilots, all 2017 Ridgelines, and all 2018 Odysseys.

SYMPTOM

The MIL comes on with DTC P0430 (front bank catalyst system efficiency below threshold [Bank 2]).

POSSIBLE CAUSES

The PCM software may misinterpret sensor inputs as a deteriorated catalytic converter.

CORRECTIVE ACTION

Update the PGM-FI software.

Had to bring mine back in for parts related to a different issue. Once I get the paperwork I will check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
My dealer paperwork indicates: Check Engine Light On
CAUSE: P0430 catalyst system efficiency below threshold, 1255C1 SOFTWARE UPDATE, Perform PGM-FI software update complete.

·
Registered
463 Posts
This CEL might be a side effect from the VCM. Maybe the bank 2 catalyst temperature is dropping just below limits while the VCM is active. Curious if anyone having this problem are still using a stock engine setup, or if anyone is using the VCMuzzler?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Going to have to keep an eye on that one. I have been using the VCMuzzler for a while now. If any of these issues surface I'll get the details to all who are concerned.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue now with the light coming on at 4 different times. Dealer first did a software fix than 2 weeks later light is back on and they now say they have to change out the fuel injector rail assembly. Crossing my fingers as this 2017 Ridgeline has not been the most reliable at least from my 2012.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts