Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
They replaced my fuel injectors today under warranty but I am worried that it will happen again and 60,000 and it’s out of warranty it’s BS that that are going out this early

·
Super Moderator
12,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
They replaced my fuel injectors today under warranty but I am worried that it will happen again and 60,000 and it’s out of warranty it’s BS that that are going out this early
The 60,000-mile powertrain warranty doesn't cover the fuel injectors. Unless you live in one of the 13 states with the 7/70 California Emissions Warranty, your fuel injector warranty ends at 3/36.

If you are worried about this happening again, you might consider dumping the vehicle or buying Honda Care before your 3/36 warranty expires.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
My Honda Care agreement was cheaper than the cost of fuel injector replacement!
(y)

·
Registered
47 Posts
My main complaint is that my 2008 Honda Odyssey has 180,000 and I didn’t have any problems with the injectors and now with these new injectors only getting 30 or 40,000 miles is totally BS. I mean people buy Honda and Toyota for relatability not for this to be happing so soon

·
Super Moderator
12,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #105 (Edited)
My main complaint is that my 2008 Honda Odyssey has 180,000 and I didn’t have any problems with the injectors and now with these new injectors only getting 30 or 40,000 miles is totally BS. I mean people buy Honda and Toyota for relatability not for this to be happing so soon
Your 2008 Odyssey had port injection, not direct injection so it did not have a high pressure fuel pump driven by the engine in addition to the fuel pump in the tank. The injectors have been failing due to metal shavings left behind after the high pressure fuel pumps are manufactured. This debris makes its way into the injectors causing them to either clog up or leak due to premature wear

This isn't an issue of old vs. new or port vs. direct injection - it's an issue caused by not properly cleaning the parts after they are manufactured. It sounds like Honda knows what caused the problem and I believe the issue has been resolved.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
The hole injector thing is such a joke though. You get an emissions warning find out that you need new injectors only to find that the injectors aren't covered by the emissions warranty after only 3 years. And owners are happy if Honda covers part of the cost but not the whole cost of this on a 3 year old car. So a supplier makes a mistake but at the end of the day the supplier represents Honda. IMO, Honda is responsible here to make this right after all, they chose the supplier. If it's a bottom line issue, I'll switch brands then and I have purchased many Hondas. I usually don't come back. I had Fords for years and they were pretty good but not refined like a Honda. I'll probably do Toyota next. As a consumer I don't care who is at fault, I just want my car fixed. From what I read, at this point the 2nd gen will never hold up the way the first gen did probably not even half as much over the long haul. All of these changes that elevate reliability risk (DI) vs reward (better MPG) aren't worth it. The ICE has gone as far as it can, there are huge gains to be made out there with the hybrids and electrics.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So at 38,000 miles, I get an alert that I have an engine emissions problem and the engine light comes on. My dealer tells me an entire fuel injector rail has collapsed and needs replaced. Per the service manager, this has been an issue with this particular engine in the Ridgeline and the Pilot, and they're expecting a recall at any time. They extended the warranty to cover it. This is my first Honda. I certainly wasn't expecting such a problem at this kind of mileage.

·
Super Moderator
12,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
So at 38,000 miles, I get an alert that I have an engine emissions problem and the engine light comes on. My dealer tells me an entire fuel injector rail has collapsed and needs replaced. Per the service manager, this has been an issue with this particular engine in the Ridgeline and the Pilot, and they're expecting a recall at any time. They extended the warranty to cover it. This is my first Honda. I certainly wasn't expecting such a problem at this kind of mileage.
Welcome to the Ridgeline Owners Club and congratulations on your first post almost three years after joining. :)

Your fuel injector rail didn't "collapse". Most likely, metallic debris left over from the high pressure fuel pump manufacturing process contaminated the fuel rail and injectors. Honda acknowledge this issue a couple of years ago and it affects the Pilot, Ridgeline, and Odyssey. Although Honda has been covering some or all of the repair cost for some owners under goodwill, there has been no official warranty extension so far. There has not been a recall and likely won't be since this issue does not present a significant safety risk.

See the thread below for more information.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So did the fix of replacing fuel injectors and rails hold up for a long run? Because that is what I'm going with since this is my second trip to the dealer in less than a year for the warning light, only now the truck runs horribly and it came out of no where.... So is this the permanent solution?

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
So did the fix of replacing fuel injectors and rails hold up for a long run? Because that is what I'm going with since this is my second trip to the dealer in less than a year for the warning light, only now the truck runs horribly and it came out of no where.... So is this the permanent solution?
The injectors have an updated part number that is on the later Ridgelines. I don't think it's an issue with later Ridgelines.

101 - 111 of 111 Posts